Mere Christianity by C. S. Lewis

Mere Christianity (edition 1996)

by C. S. Lewis (Author)

21,815190121 (4.26)1 / 224
Mere Christianity is C.S. Lewis's forceful and accessible doctrine of Christian belief. First heard as informal radio broadcasts and then published as three separate books, The Case for Christianity, Christian behavior, and Beyond personality, Mere Christianity brings together what Lewis sees as the fundamental truths of religion. Rejecting the boundaries that divide Christianity's many denominations, C.S.… (more)
Member:JasonHo
Title:Mere Christianity
Authors:C. S. Lewis (Author)
Info:Touchstone Books (1996), Edition: 1st Touchstone Ed, 191 pages

Mere Christianity by C. S. Lewis

Recently added byitsjado, MissJubilee, mr_richnerds, pageturner680, kayceeb, private library, Passionist, WCChurchLibrary
Legacy LibrariesAnne Sexton

English (188)  Dutch (1)  All languages (189)
As wonderful as I remembered it. Third reading; first time was in 1987. A perfect place to start for anybody new to Christian doctrine. ( )
  wyclif | Sep 22, 2021 |
surprising!! def a must read for any believer. i love that i now understand so much more about the context of the quotes i see so often from this book :) ( )
  Isaiah40 | Sep 7, 2021 |
(1) What is Christianity? (59)
(2) Prudence (74)
(3) Temperance (76)
(4) Justice (76)
(5) Fortitude (76)
(6) Meaning of "Thou shalt not kill." (106)
(7) How Satan works (161) ( )
  jamesrrouse | Aug 29, 2021 |
Complex ideas expressed clearly and with insight. Lewis's theological classic, comprising four short books originating from a series of radio broadcasts, gives a frank and uncomplicated introduction to Christian thought that can be appreciated by Christian and non-Christian alike. Buyer beware: this hardcover anniversary edition is sadly marred by many typographical errors in the first section. ( )
  Lirmac | Jun 8, 2021 |
A series of essays given by Lewis during the second world war, attempting to explain the key ideas of Christianity to a lay man.

A short book, which is engaging and easy to read (at least if you've encountered most of the ideas before). There is something interesting and oddly jarring about someone seriously talking about absolute morality and how God is working out the New Men of his creation to a general audience in a non embarrassed way. I find Mere Christianity more of an emotive broad brush sketch ('look! These things feel true and lead to these things!') than a watertight proof, and I don't enjoy Lewis's gender essentialism, but I enjoyed reading a thoughtful intellectual talking about his honest views on life's big questions. ( )
  atreic | May 4, 2021 |
Mere Christianity is full of memorable and powerful revelations that elucidate the foundations of Christian theology, our relationship to God, and the meaning of life. Only C.S. Lewis could summarize such broad concepts so eloquently without coming across as overly-religious or preachy. His extraordinary ability to focus on the core tenets of Christianity and explain them with remarkable ease reinforces the wide appeal of his writings.

Regarding man's relationship with and need for God:

God designed the human machine to run on Himself. He Himself is the fuel our spirits were designed to burn, or the food our spirits were designed to feed on. There is no other. That is why it is just not good asking God to make us happy in our own way without bothering about religion. God cannot give us a happiness and peace apart from Himself, because it is not there. There is no such thing.

Regarding true happiness and freedom:

The happiness which God designs for His higher creatures is the happiness of being freely, voluntarily united to Him and each other in an ecstasy of love and delight compared with which the most rapturous love between a man and a woman on this earth is mere milk and water. And for that they must be free.

On pursuing truth and finding comfort in our lives:

In religion, as in war and everything else, comfort is one thing you cannot get by looking for it. If you look for truth, you may find comfort in the end: if you look for comfort you will not get either comfort or truth -- only soft soap and wishful thinking to begin with and, in the end, despair.

In a world that is often hostile to religion, particularly the Christian faith, Mere Christianity stands as a testament to truth, love, faith, and the value of human life; its enduring and inspiring message shines like a beacon, guiding and helping all those who have eyes to see and ears to listen.

Mere Christianity is a long walk, through which Lewis holds your hand the entire time. It isn’t so much long in size (my copy is 191 pages) as it is in attention to detail. Lewis begins with human nature, the law, the ability to discern between right and wrong, and step-by-step, slowly but surely, comes to understand Christianity and God manifested all the way down to, by the end of the book, our daily lives and our every moments...Lewis does more than just “prove” Christianity, if you will. In establishing the Christian God as the only reasonable solution to, you know, everything going on in the universe ever, Lewis provides and expounds upon a context through which things like forgiveness, sexual morality, charity, hope, and faith can all be understood more fully in their role in the church.

I am well aware of Lewis' writing talent and he is clearly an intelligent individual, so I feel unqualified to "critique" Mr. Lewis. However, I would like to comment on why, at least for me, Lewis' arguments for the existence of God are uncompelling.

Cotton candy apologetics - engaging and conversational but shallow.

Lewis, C. S.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gresham, DouglasForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Liljeqvist, MarjaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Norris, KathleenForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nylén, AnttiForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rhind-Tutt, JulianNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Every one has heard people quarrelling.
You must make your choice. Either this man was, and is, the Son of God: or else a madman or something worse. You can shut Him up for a fool, you can spit at Him and kill Him as a demon; or you can fall at His feet and call Him Lord and God. But let us not come with any patronizing nonsense about His being a great human teacher. He has not left that open to us. He did not intend to.
A man who jibbed at authority in other things as some people do in religion would have to be content to know nothing all his life.
The bad psychological material is not a sin but a disease. It does not need to be repented of, but to be cured... Human beings judge one another by their external actions. God judges them by their moral choices.
We must get over wanting to be needed: in some goodish people, specially women, that is the hardest of all temptations to resist.
How monotonously alike all the great tyrants and conquerors have been: how gloriously different are the saints.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,430,163 books! | Top bar: Always visible