Mere Christianity by C. S. Lewis

Mere Christianity (edition 2001)

by C. S. Lewis

18,151160124 (4.27)1 / 208
Member:MarkKonyndyk
Title:Mere Christianity
Authors:C. S. Lewis
Info:HarperSanFrancisco (2001), Hardcover, 227 pages

Mere Christianity by C. S. Lewis

English (158)  Dutch (1)  All languages (159)
I first read this in high school, and I was surprised upon re-reading it how many passages still lingered in my memory. Some parts of the book suffered from Lewis’s outdated ideas about gender, but overall this is a lucid and often poignant account of what Lewis sees as the essential doctrines and practices of Christianity. The final passage, in which Lewis discusses how giving our lives to Christ is the only way to truly find ourselves, is beautifully articulated. ( )
  jalbacutler | Sep 11, 2018 |
x
  StFrancisofAssisi | Aug 11, 2018 |
This book is part of my C.S. Lewis collection. I went through a huge phase where I was just obsessed with anything and everything by him. While I don't agree with all of his theology, I do love his writing style and the things he has to say about faith. He was a good one. ( )
  justagirlwithabook | Jul 31, 2018 |
This hugely popular international bestseller is being repackaged and rebranded as the leading title in the C.S. Lewis Signature Classics range. One of the most popular and beloved introductions to the concept of faith ever written, Mere Christianity has sold millions of copies worldwide. The timeless questions of spirituality which Lewis raises will have resonance with a new generation of readers. Mere Christianity brings together Lewis's legendary broadcast talks of the war years, talks in which he set out simply to 'explain and defend the belief that has been common to nearly all Christians at all times.' Rejecting the boundaries that divide Christianity's many denominations, C.S. Lewis provides an unequaled opportunity for believers and nonbelievers alike to hear a powerful, rational case for the Christian faith. This scintillating collection confirms C.S. Lewis's reputation as one of the leading writers and thinkers of our age.
  tony_sturges | Jul 13, 2018 |
From the back book jacket:

"The Beloved Classic on What All Christians Believe"
  St-Johns-Episcopal | Jun 28, 2018 |
I am well aware of Lewis' writing talent and he is clearly an intelligent individual, so I feel unqualified to "critique" Mr. Lewis. However, I would like to comment on why, at least for me, Lewis' arguments for the existence of God are uncompelling.

Cotton candy apologetics - engaging and conversational but shallow.

Lewis, C. S.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gresham, DouglasForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Liljeqvist, MarjaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Norris, KathleenForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nylén, AnttiForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Every one has heard people quarrelling.
You must make your choice. Either this man was, and is, the Son of God: or else a madman or something worse. You can shut Him up for a fool, you can spit at Him and kill Him as a demon; or you can fall at His feet and call Him Lord and God. But let us not come with any patronizing nonsense about His being a great human teacher. He has not left that open to us. He did not intend to.
A man who jibbed at authority in other things as some people do in religion would have to be content to know nothing all his life.
The bad psychological material is not a sin but a disease. It does not need to be repented of, but to be cured... Human beings judge one another by their external actions. God judges them by their moral choices.
We must get over wanting to be needed: in some goodish people, specially women, that is the hardest of all temptations to resist.
How monotonously alike all the great tyrants and conquerors have been: how gloriously different are the saints.
The 'Lewis' DVD sets which feature sergeant Lewis, in the British television series, have nothing to do with the author C.S.Lewis.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060652926, Paperback)

In 1943 Great Britain, when hope and the moral fabric of society were threatened by the relentless inhumanity of global war, an Oxford don was invited to give a series of radio lectures addressing the central issues of Christianity. Over half a century after the original lectures, the topic retains it urgency. Expanded into book form, Mere Christianity never flinches as it sets out a rational basis for Christianity and builds an edifice of compassionate morality atop this foundation. As Mr. Lewis clearly demonstrates, Christianity is not a religion of flitting angels and blind faith, but of free will, an innate sense of justice and the grace of God.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:34 -0400)

Discusses the essence of Christian faith and the doctrine of the Trinity.

Legacy Library: C. S. Lewis

C. S. Lewis has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See C. S. Lewis's legacy profile.

See C. S. Lewis's author page.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,980,775 books! | Top bar: Always visible