A Gathering of Shadows (Shades of Magic, #2)…

A Gathering of Shadows (Shades of Magic, #2) (edition 2016)

by V. E. Schwab

Series: Shades of Magic (2)

"Four months have passed since the shadow stone fell into Kell's possession. Four months since his path crossed with Delilah Bard. Four months since Rhy was wounded and the Dane twins fell, and the stone was cast with Holland's dying body through the rift, and into Black London. In many ways, things have almost returned to normal, though Rhy is more sober, and Kell is now plagued by his guilt. Restless, and having given up smuggling, Kell is visited by dreams of ominous magical events, waking only to think of Lila, who disappeared from the docks like she always meant to do. As Red London finalizes preparations for the Element Games-an extravagent international competition of magic, meant to entertain and keep healthy the ties between neighboring countries-a certain pirate ship draws closer, carrying old friends back into port.But while Red London is caught up in the pageantry and thrills of the Games, another London is coming back to life, and those who were thought to be forever gone have returned. After all, a shadow that was gone in the night reappears in the morning, and so it seems Black London has risen again-and so to keep magic's balance, another London must fall"--… (more)
Member:fischerp
Title:A Gathering of Shadows (Shades of Magic, #2)
Authors:V. E. Schwab
Info:Tor Books, Kindle Edition, 513 pages
Tags:read

Work Information

A Gathering of Shadows by V.E. Schwab

English (131)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (132)
It’s delightful to be back to Kell and Lila after such a long time. It’s been about four years since I read A Darker Shade of Magic, and there are so many aspects of the book that have stuck with me. Above all, Lila’s wanderlust and determination has stuck to my bones, and I think of her more iconic quotes often. A Gathering of Shadows is the second book in this trilogy, and for the most part, it focuses on character development and setting things in place for the dramatic ending. I didn’t like it as much as I liked A Darker Shade of Magic, but I didn’t hate it either. It was good, but it wasn’t great. It was a second book.

Looking at the story design we got - I did enjoy the character development for both Kell and Lila. They are both going through very similar things, but in very different ways. It’s interesting, because usually character development arcs in fantasy novels involve growth in knowledge or power. There is a learning arc. Schwab went a different way with this book. Rather, Kell and Lila are being pushed to breaking points. This is extremely evident in Kell’s storyline. Kell is sharply opposed with every action he executes. The harder he fights for freedom, the more confined he becomes. The tension throughout the book is palpable. It makes it difficult to step away from reading.

Lila‘s breaking point is a little different, an outward manifestation of internal conflict to mirror Kell’s internal conflict driven by exterior forces. She’s the one pushing herself, so there’s a lot more internal conflict and general avoidance. Lila has terrible coping mechanisms and is a reckless individual — acknowledges this for herself. By the end of the book, I don’t necessarily feel that Lila has learned anything, only that she is a little more lost and a little more frustrated. I think she has a while to go still as far as her development arc.

And all of this takes place during Essen Tasch, or the “Element Games”. These Games occur once every three years between three kingdoms with a history of tension. As usual, we see our two favorite characters breaking a lot of rules, and being excused if not encouraged by those closest to them. Rhys, in particular, shines in this book. He’s definitely grown from the character we saw in A Darker Shade of Magic, and even if you don’t love him, he is interesting. We also made a new character, a ship captain that has a history with the royal family. It’s a whole thing, and it’s interesting and really throws some complications into character relationships. I think will be seeing more of him in the next book.

Altogether, it was an enjoyable read. It wasn’t as stunning as some of Schwab‘s other work, but I appreciated that for a middle book in a trilogy, it at least had a standalone plot line. Honestly, I think my greatest gripe with this story has nothing to do with the book or the writing itself, but with the audiobook in narrators both narrators of this edition are well known well loved narrators, and I can’t stand either of them. Their reading is a little too slow and they’re lilts a little bit too repetitive that I often get irritated with the voice and that affects my enjoyment of the book. This is entirely a personal problem, and it is something I have come across repeatedly (particularly with Kate Reading). I want to be honest that this probably shaded my view of the book.

I am absolutely going to read the next book, and I’m still excited for the Threads of Power series Schwab is working on right now. The Shades of Magic trilogy continues to be compelling, dark, vibrant, and peppered with complicated characters. As a whole it is extremely enjoyable, and exemplary of Schwab‘s overall work. Really, I have yet to go wrong with this author. I do recommend the book, but not on its own. You have to read it as part of the trilogy. ( )
  Morteana | Jul 13, 2022 |
Just as awesome as book 1 but ends with the worst kind of cliffhanger. I'm glad that I don't have to wait as long as others for the 3rd one! ( )
  brittaniethekid | Jul 7, 2022 |
A GATHERING OF SHADOWS, the second book in @veschwab’s Shades of Magic series, picks up four months after the events of ADSOM. Delilah Bard has disappeared, Rhy is becoming accustomed to his new attachment to Kell, and Kell is trying hard to carry on a normal life after being barred from traveling between Londons. With the approach of the Element Games, where the best magicians from the neighboring lands come to compete, Rhy convinces Kell to secretly enter the games under an alias, just to break his monotony. When Delilah makes a surprise return, Kell must start to deal with his feelings for her, while still trying to come to terms with the repercussions of his actions that led to the closing off of the other Londons.

And didn’t Holland die…?

While this volume does suffer slightly from the “middle book of a trilogy syndrome” - existing for the sole purpose of making sure all the characters are where they need to be for the final book - it’s still a damn fine story. Schwab continues to develop her characters, sometimes in unexpected ways, and the result is superb.

#books #bookstagram #book #booklover #reading #bookworm #bookstagrammer #bookish #read #booknerd #bookaddict #bibliophile #booksofinstagram #instabook #readingtime #bookaholic #bookshelf #booksbooksbooks #readersofinstagram #reader #booklove #instabooks #veschwab #fantasy #shadesofmagic #frommybookshelfblog #frommybookshelf #📚 #happyreading #bookreview ( )
  tapestry100 | Jul 5, 2022 |
3.5 stars

Here we have the second adventure of Kell and Lila in Red London... The first part (personally) was a bit boring. The MC was just walking around the Red London and doing nothing!

I liked Lila in the first book because she was badass and crazy! However, in this second book, it was too much! She acted just like crazy and childish.
Why she entered the Tournament? Just because she can!
Why is she using magic? Just because she can!
Why is she amazing? Just because she thinks so...

And Kell...oh well... I don't know what happened to him. He was just a winy and sad all the time. No action, nothing from him. He was totally boring here!

The best moments were when Holland appeared and did his schemes. But that, unfortunately, happened just at the last 50 pages of the book!

Overall, this book is no good. It didn't help the story and I hope that the last book will be better! ( )
  Hanna_Rybchynska | Apr 29, 2022 |
Oh gosh, was I glad I already had book three in the trilogy cued up because WHAT AN ENDING! I love VE Schwab's beautiful use of prose. Such gorgeous writing in every sentence. This was an interesting middle book, with our main characters Kell and Lila off on their own at first. Lila is pursuing her dreams of piracy LOL and Kell is floundering a bit. I have to feel sorry for Kell. The writing does a very poignant job of illustrating the strained relationship between him and the King and Queen... how although Rye loves him genuinely as a brother even though they share no blood, to his adoptive parents, their two "children" are viewed very differently, and that has to have colored his personlity over time.

Loved the character of Alucard. And I loved the last section of the book. What exciting developments. I'm already eating up book three!

Please excuse typos/misspelled names. Entered on screen reader. ( )
  KatKinney | Mar 3, 2022 |

Schwab, V.E.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kramer, MichaelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Reading, KateNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Staehle, WillCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Weinberg, MiriamEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Magic and magician must between them balance. Magic itself is chaos. The magician must be calm. A fractured self is a poor vessel for power, spilling power without focus or measure from every crack.

—Tieren Serense, head priest of the London Sanctuary
For the ones who fight their way forward
Delilah Bard had a way of finding trouble.

A magic duel
May the best magician win
Lila and Kell compete
(passion4reading)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 173,550,912 books! | Top bar: Always visible