A Gathering of Shadows (A Darker Shade of…

A Gathering of Shadows (A Darker Shade of Magic #2) (edition 2016)

by V. E. Schwab (Author)

Series: Shades of Magic (2)

"Four months have passed since the shadow stone fell into Kell's possession. Four months since his path crossed with Delilah Bard. Four months since Rhy was wounded and the Dane twins fell, and the stone was cast with Holland's dying body through the rift, and into Black London. In many ways, things have almost returned to normal, though Rhy is more sober, and Kell is now plagued by his guilt. Restless, and having given up smuggling, Kell is visited by dreams of ominous magical events, waking only to think of Lila, who disappeared from the docks like she always meant to do. As Red London finalizes preparations for the Element Games-an extravagent international competition of magic, meant to entertain and keep healthy the ties between neighboring countries-a certain pirate ship draws closer, carrying old friends back into port.But while Red London is caught up in the pageantry and thrills of the Games, another London is coming back to life, and those who were thought to be forever gone have returned. After all, a shadow that was gone in the night reappears in the morning, and so it seems Black London has risen again-and so to keep magic's balance, another London must fall"--… (more)
Member:KimberleyFisher
Title:A Gathering of Shadows (A Darker Shade of Magic #2)
Authors:V. E. Schwab (Author)
Info:Titan Books (2016), Edition: 01, 352 pages

Work Information

A Gathering of Shadows by V.E. Schwab

English (127)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (128)
I was sent this book for review and my gosh am I glad I asked for it. This series has quickly become one of my all time favourite fantasy series. The characters are amazing, the world is similar yet different and full of a cleverly designed magic system. I just can't get enough of it and recommend this series to any fantasy fan.

To get book specific, A Gathering of Shadows starts off four months after the end of the previous book and our three main characters are having to deal with the consequences of their actions at the end of A Darker Shade of Magic. Lila is off carving her place in this new and exciting world (Pirates!!!); Kell and Rhy are struggling with their new bond and all it means for their respective futures (lots of man angst). We have some interesting and fun new characters introduced that bring a little backstory with them and also speed up the plot. We even get to see how White London is recovering after the big battle of the previous book. One of the many things I loved about this sequel is that it did not follow the same story pattern as before. In the first book we were being introduced to the worlds and we knew what action needed to be taken; in this book our characters are brought together for an Olympic-size magic tournament the likes of which I've never read. This tournament means different things for each of our beloved characters and through their journeys in it we get to understand how the magic system in this world really works. Lila remains my absolute favourite character - I want to be her, be best friends with her and marry her. She has some real character growth in this book and really comes into her own, while remaining as sassy and action-ready as ever.

I could go on about this series forever, but to keep this short I'll wrap up. Absolutely all fantasy lovers should read this series - it has something for everyone: parallel worlds, fantastical magic, both straight and gay romance, heart-racing action, sincere quiet moments and a set of characters you cannot help but love and root for, no matter how morally dubious they may seem sometimes. Everyone go read this. Now. ( )
  sianhopper | Dec 6, 2021 |
I'm not really sure what the purpose of this book was. It would have been an interesting couple of chapters of another book, but not really an entire book on its own. It did nothing to advance the overall arc of the series and nothing of real consequence happened until the final chapter. I'm guessing you could skip this book and move right to the third and not miss a beat. ( )
  LeBleuUn | Nov 14, 2021 |
This book is a lot of fun. The conflict is simply brewing to take hold in the next book to come and the wonderful cliffhanger is one that I truly remember. I read this book once before and remember the pain of waiting for the third book to be published. ( )
  klcarmack | Nov 12, 2021 |
Good! The world and characters are still great, but I got a bit bored with the plot, with mostly prince angst and Lila doing whatever the hell she likes. I like the faster pace of the first book more. ( )
  Kat_books | Nov 9, 2021 |
BR with the best buddies ever at BB&B group!

Sara_Lucario | Oct 19, 2021 |

Schwab, V.E.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kramer, MichaelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Reading, KateNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Staehle, WillCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Weinberg, MiriamEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Magic and magician must between them balance. Magic itself is chaos. The magician must be calm. A fractured self is a poor vessel for power, spilling power without focus or measure from every crack.

—Tieren Serense, head priest of the London Sanctuary
For the ones who fight their way forward
Delilah Bard had a way of finding trouble.

A magic duel
May the best magician win
Lila and Kell compete
(passion4reading)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,622,193 books! | Top bar: Always visible