Have you checked out SantaThing, LibraryThing's gift-giving tradition?
dismiss

Press Start to Play (A Vintage original) by…

Press Start to Play (A Vintage original) (original 2015; edition 2015)

by Daniel H. Wilson (Author), John Joseph Adams (Author)

Series: InCryptid ("Survival Horror")

19010105,392 (3.65)12
A groundbreaking anthology of short stories from award-winning writers and game-industry titans who have embarked on a quest to explore what happens when video games and science fiction collide. From text-based adventures to first-person shooters, dungeon crawlers to horror games, these twenty-six stories play with our notion of what video games can be-and what they can become-in smart and singular ways.… (more)
Member:rickycatto
Title:Press Start to Play (A Vintage original)
Authors:Daniel H. Wilson (Author)
Other authors:John Joseph Adams (Author)
Info:Knopf Books for Young Readers (2015), 496 pages
Tags:to-read, audiobooks

Press Start to Play by Daniel H. Wilson (Editor) (2015)

Crazy that I took basically a year to finish this book. I read the last three or four stories in the last 24 hours, thinking I was close enough to the end that I just needed to finish it. That included the Andy Weir story which was very short, and silly but fun, as well as the conclusion to the book by Hugh Howe’s (author of Wool, which I’ve heard a lot about but haven’t yet read), which I found surprisingly poignant and compelling.

Overall, most of these stories featured games prominently, and a few of them featured game developers. Some were better than others, but overall I’m glad I read this. ( )
  livingtech | Mar 18, 2020 |
See https://www.librarything.com/topic/219623#5489846 for LisaMorr's story-by-story review: I don't see a place to list the stories, but keep forgetting the name of Select Character by Hugh Howey which I want to recommend widely.
  jodi | Nov 20, 2018 |
Really enjoyed this, review to come.

If you are a gamer and a reader, you will want to delve into this anthology. I will admit that I went right to Weir's story, Twarrior, when I downloaded my NetGalley file and while I did enjoy the quick read, one of my absolute favorites turned out to be Rat Catcher's Yellows by Charlie Jane Anders.

Book will be released on August 18th, go pre-order! ( )
  autumnturner76 | Oct 4, 2018 |
My book review for this written here at New York Journal of Books: http://www.nyjournalofbooks.com/book-review/press-start
  Eric_J._Guignard | Jul 26, 2018 |
Eh. There were a few good stories in here (and the Seanan McGuire, which was good but not new to me), but most of them ranged from Ew to Huh? I still can't figure out what was going on with the graying out one - the one that was all about memory, and two college students clinging to one another as the world disappears...and then suddenly they're old, and a (medical?) voice is declaring something a success. And who they were is depicted on a screen. Were they being downloaded? Uploaded? Either way it doesn't seem as much of a success as all that. That one, and several others, just left me saying "What?". There were a lot that were just literary blowing things up, or nastier - I read them and wiped them out of my memory as fast as I could. Overall, I did not enjoy reading this; the few good stories were either not strong enough to stand out in my mind, had major holes (the one about making the garden - how the heck did she figure all of that out? Was she really bored enough to keep going back time after time and figuring out ways around how she died last time?), or were simply overwhelmed by the tide of ick. I need to remember that John Joseph Adams and I do _not_ have similar tastes. He keeps doing anthologies with fascinating themes, and I don't like the stories he picks. ( )
  jjmcgaffey | Apr 4, 2018 |

Wexler, DjangoContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Yu, CharlesContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

InCryptid ("Survival Horror")
Since their invention about half a century ago, video games have come to play a vital role in modern human civilization. (Foreword)
I'm an editor through and through; I eat, sleep, and breathe prose fiction and am a relentless consumer of narrative entertainment. (Introduction)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 152,460,691 books! | Top bar: Always visible