dismiss

A Sword for His Lady (Courtly Love)

by Mary Wine

Series: Courtly love (book 1)

A Publishers WeeklyTop 10 Pick for Spring 2015 He'd defend her keep... After proving himself on the field of battle, Ramon de Segrave is appointed to the Council of Barons by Richard the Lionheart. But instead of taking his most formidable warrior on his latest Crusade, the king assigns Ramon an even more dangerous task-woo and win the Lady of Thistle Keep. If only she'd yield her heart Isabel of Camoys is a capable widow with no intention of surrendering her valuable estate. She's fought long and hard for her independence, and if the price is loneliness, then so be it. She will not yield...even if she does find the powerful knight's heated embrace impossible to ignore. But when her land is threatened, Isabel reluctantly agrees to allow Ramon and his army to defend the keep-knowing that the price may very well be her heart. Here's what you can expect from Mary Wine: "Major sizzle factor." -Lucy Monroe, USA Todaybestselling author "A fast-paced tale." -RT Book Reviews "Exceptionally well researched and extremely authentic." -Night Owl Reviews… (more)

As most of you know by now, I’m a Regency buff, but once in a while I’m happy to leave that genre and sink my teeth into the medieval world. This is book one in Courtly Love series and it is one of the best medieval stories I’ve read.

Isabel of Camoys was married at a young age and the marriage was arranged and not a happy one.

She is facing some hard times after her husband’s death as his family is bent on taking her home away from her. On top of that, the King aims to wed her to a man of his choosing.

Isabel isn’t happy about it, and marriage to a stranger isn’t what she’s looking forward to, but she either obeys the King, or marry back into the family of her husband.

I liked the heroine’s spunk and strength. She was such a joy to get to know and follow around in her own element, her own time and place. I found her independents and intelligence for that period, fascinating!

Ramon de Segrave is one of those heroes we all dream about, a loyal knight who is surprised to find out that his King has decided to wed him rather than send him on his next crusade.

I liked the way Ramon went about convincing the woman King chose for him, that they’re a good match. But what I loved the best about this story is how perfectly the author captured the time in which this beautiful romance takes place.

If you’re a fan of medieval, make sure to read this one. It’s filled with fascinating details of a time long passed and its romance is truly swoon-worthy.

Melanie for b2b

Complimentary copy provided by the publisher ( )
  bookworm2bookworm | Mar 30, 2017 |
A medieval historical romance with a good storyline and the right amount of spice. ( )
  bookwyrmm | Nov 6, 2016 |
This is a nice new release from Mary Wine, set during the time of the Crusades and the reign of Richard the Lionheart. I was pleasantly surprised by this book b/c just last week I DNF'd another book set during the Crusades because it did not stay true to the time period. Mary Wine did a good job of making the 12th century come to life in the marshes of the English/Welsh border.

Baron Ramon de Segraves has been campaigning with Richard I for the past 10 years, but has received a royal "suggestion" that he will now stay behind to marry a widow and secure the Welsh border. Ramon, who had a bad experience with his first marriage, is not eager to enter into another matrimonial union. That is, until he meets the headstrong Isabel of Camoys, the widow in question. Isabel has been managing her estate since the death of her brute of a husband, and prefers the life of a widow to living again as a man's chattel. But Ramon has never met a challenge he could not best, and he sees Isabel as a worthwhile opponent. This leads to a saucy seduction by Ramon, which is sometimes humorous and quite steamy at others.

The story had great secondary characters and villains. I particularly liked Ambrose and Isabel's nurse, who made me chuckle several times and provided my favorite quote for the book:

A member like that means only one thing,” Mildred continued in spite of Isabel’s displeasure with the topic. She leaned closer and lowered her voice. “The man will have a great appetite for the flesh. Every midwife will tell you a member that thick and long is a demanding one. He’ll need to spend once a night at least and likely twice with sacs such as those.

So this one had a little bit of everything from romance to comedy to drama, all wrapped up in a beautiful medieval setting. I will definitely be continuing on with the series. I believe the next book will feature Ambrose, a hulking blond giant of a man. ;)

I received an advanced copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. 4 stars / 3 flames. ( )
  Bambi_Unbridled | Mar 19, 2016 |
Sometimes its really hard to connect with the characters in the medieval era, they always come across as overbearing savage 'raping in the name of love' lords. Suffice to say this wasn't one of those books. The characters were well developed and a little bit of history was thrown in there.

All in all, an enjoyable read.

THANKS TO SOURCEBOOKS CASABLANCA FOR THIS ADVANCED PREVIEW COPY. ( )
  invincible005 | Jul 29, 2015 |
...of knights and ladies, love and duty

Ramon de Segrave newly appointed Baron by King Richard is sent by his king to the marshes bordering Wales. He is to marry the widowed Isabel of Camoys, the Lady of Thistle Keep.
Isobel is anything but gracious about the plans others have for her. Strong wills clash igniting the fires that lie below the calm surface of the Lady of the Keep and her robust Knight.
Having been given in marriage before against her will Isabel is reluctant to give up her independence. Richard has taken her garrison to the Holy Lands. Now she is defenceless, except for Ramon. Then there's her husband's dastardly brother Jaques Raeburn who wants the family lands back, at any cost. King Richard plays a part here. Richard's need for monies for his crusades has allowed Jacques to be elevated to a baron. (Ramon reflects somewhat sourly on the fact that he earned his baron status alongside Richard in war whilst Jacques bought his.)
Whilst Isobel may be able to protect her lands and people by agreeing to Ramon's terms, can she protect her heart? Certainly Isobel is faced with her own sensuality, something that has lain hidden until now.
Mary Wine gives us a fascinating look into practices in these Medieval times and the role of women, particularly of the nobility. I was fascinated by Isobel's methods of collecting and protecting her geese and their feathers, essential for the arrow shafts needed by Richard, the bathing customs of the day and other little tidbits about daily life at the keep.
I was also struck by the inner battle of Jacques' servant sent to spy, Donald. He has sworn before a God to carry out his Lord's orders but what to do when they conflict with his conscience? Donald's struggle highlights the strict religious aspects of feality and medieval practices.
Ramon and Isobel's fate may be dictated to by a King but ultimately they decide upon it by themselves. The choice of the how's is up to them, with a little help from circumstances and duty.

A NetGalley ARC ( )
  eyes.2c | Jul 10, 2015 |

Belongs to Series

Courtly love (book 1)

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,867,027 books! | Top bar: Always visible