What Pet Should I Get? by Dr. Seuss

What Pet Should I Get?

by Dr. Seuss

This is a classic Dr. Suess book about two children who are at a pet store looking for a new pet. The parents said they could only get one and they have a hard time deciding. The book never says which pet they end up getting, leaving that up to the reader's imagination. This book uses rhyme all through-out, as any Dr. Seuss book does. The book also uses animals that Seuss made up in his head. I think this book serves as a good model for using your imagination to think outside of the box. Seuss shows you can create any animal using your imagination, and still have a great book with a story line that makes sense. ( )
  kgautier | Oct 12, 2018 |
It was a very good rhyming book about how a brother and sister pick out a pet. It is very exciting for children when they hear books about animals. I believe this would be a good book to read in the classroom, because it would peak the children's interest.

The teacher could have children write about what animal they would want to get at the pet store and why. ( )
  cnemetz | Oct 7, 2018 |
Kay and her brother think every animal in the pet shop might be perfect for a pet. But Mother and Dad have said they may choose only one. Will it be a dog? A cat? A rabbit? A fish, perchance? Or might the children prefer a Yent?
Whatever animal the children select, they must do it quickly, for Mother has said they must be home by noon.

This charming tale unfolds in the expected Dr. Seuss-ian rhyming fashion, sure to delight readers both young and old. A perfect pick for Read Across America.

Highly recommended. ( )
  jfe16 | Mar 2, 2018 |
I did not like this book for one main reason and that is the ending. I did not like how there's suspense on choosing a pet and how the two main characters had their own choice on what animal they wanted to take home. They also went back and forth about choosing which animal they wanted which made me dizzy in a way and just overall not enjoy the story. Lastly, the ending of the story was that the two main characters make a decision but the decision is hidden from the reader. So as the reader you have to guess what animal they took home. Also, at the end Dr. Seuss explains why he wanted the ending to be a mystery and that he thought it would be more interesting if the readers decide which pet they think was chosen. I guess I am used to having an ending to a story and never really encountered a story where I could end it myself, which is why I guess I didn't like it. Overall, the illustrations were pretty good because everything was light but I felt like I saw the same colors through out the whole book. It was my first time reading this Dr.Seuss book and just felt like it was out of the ordinary from all the other Dr. Seuss books I normally read. I would still have this in my class library, but I don't think I would use it as a read aloud. ( )
  mmende6 | Oct 31, 2017 |
Not the best Dr. Seuss... but still great. ( )
  lissabeth21 | Oct 3, 2017 |

A never-before-seen picture book by Dr. Seuss!

This never-ever-before-seen picture book by Dr. Seuss about making up one’s mind is the literary equivalent of buried treasure! What happens when a brother and sister visit a pet store to pick a pet? Naturally, they can’t choose just one! The tale captures a classic childhood moment—choosing a pet—and uses it to illuminate a life lesson: that it is hard to make up your mind, but sometimes you just have to do it!

Told in Dr. Seuss’s signature rhyming style, this is a must-have for Seuss fans and book collectors, and a perfect choice for the holidays, birthdays, and happy occasions of all kinds.

An Editor’s Note at the end discusses Dr. Seuss’s pets, his creative process, and the discovery of the manuscript and illustrations for What Pet Should I Get?

(retrieved from Amazon Sat, 18 Jul 2015 05:44:01 -0400)

A boy wants all of the pets in a pet store but he and his sister can choose only one. End notes discuss Dr. Seuss's pets, his creative process, and the discovery of the manuscript and illustrations for "What Pet Should I Get?"

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,427,673 books! | Top bar: Always visible