Who Do You Love

by Jennifer Weiner

"From the "hilarious, heartbreaking, and insightful" (The Miami Herald) bestselling author Jennifer Weiner comes a sweeping, modern day fairy tale about first romance and lasting love. When the love you love is the one who got away... Rachel Blum and Andy Landis are just eight years old when they meet late one night in an ER waiting room. Born with a congenital heart defect, Rachel is a veteran of hospitals, and she's intrigued by the boy who shows up all alone with a broken arm. He tells her his name. She tells him a story. After Andy's taken back to a doctor and Rachel's sent back to her bed, they think they'll never see each other again. Rachel grows up wanting for nothing in a fancy Florida suburb, the popular and protected daughter of two doting parents. Andy grows up poor in Philadelphia with a single mom and a rare talent that will let him become one of the best runners of his generation. Over the next three decades, their paths cross in magical and ordinary ways. They make grand plans and dream big dreams as they grow together and apart in starts and stops. Through it all, Andy and Rachel never stop thinking about that night in the hospital waiting room all of those years ago, a chance encounter that changed the course of both of their lives. In this captivating, often witty tale about the bonds between women and men, love and fate, and the truth about happy endings, Jennifer Weiner delivers two of her most memorable characters and a love story you'll never forget"--… (more)

I hated this. I couldn't even finish it normally and resorted to skimming the last quarter of the book.

Rachel is completely unlikable and Andy is a ridiculous cartoon. The scene as kids in the hospital and maybe up until they meet again as teenagers is OK but as soon as they move towards adulthood this book turns for the worse and never recovers.

hmonkeyreads | Jan 25, 2024 |
4.5 stars - This is a great story of how one small life choice can either derail us or make us happy. Told from Rachel and Andy's POV from the point they meet in the hospital as young children, until they are in their thirties, I enjoyed reading about Andy's life and how he overcame so many obstacles. There were a lot of great plot twists to the story and probably the main thing I didn't like was all the sex details (I know, I sound like an old fuddy-duddy!) That was a drawback to me in an otherwise great story of perseverance and love. ( )
  JillHannah | Nov 20, 2023 |
3.5 stars. I enjoyed this, particularly the chapters from Andy's POV. I really wish that Weiner would branch out a little and tell a story that isn't based on events from her life. I get "write what you know", but it would be nice to see her stretch a little more. ( )
  tsmom1219 | Feb 24, 2022 |
Jennifer Weiner does it again.

I've long been a fan of Weiner's because she offers up characters in all their foibles and flaws, their messy lives, with humor and compassion, and honesty. The book description uses the words "modern day fairy tale" and talks about how the lives of the main characters Rachel Blum and Andy Landis cross in "magical" ways.

They say magical, I say fate. ToMAYto, toMAHto, I suppose.

Rachel and Andy are living very different lives when they meet at age 8 in the emergency room of a Florida hospital: Rachel lives a life of privilege, well loved and a bit over-protected by her parents, thanks to a congenital heart defect, while Andy is a poor mixed-race kid from Philadelphia who is raised by a seemingly indifferent at times single mother.

When Rachel leaves the hospital, she never expects to see him again, but in the way of fate, their lives do cross, again and again. This is a story about love, the choices we make, second chances, race and privilege.

With Weiner, the characters are real and show their flaws, have triumphs and painful losses, and somehow, everything works out in the end without feeling heavily scripted.

For the full review, check out my blog post at http://www.mommaontherocks.com/5892/what-im-reading-wednesday-two-powerful-tales

An advanced reader copy was provided to me by Atria Books in exchange for an honest review.

jenncaffeinated | Jul 4, 2021 |
I love Jennifer Weiner. She could slap her name on a paper about astrophysics or something like that and I'd probably still read it. I enjoyed watching Rachel and Andy grow up and go on their journeys both alone and together. There were a few cringeworthy and heartbreaking moments in the book and a few that made me mad but those are signs of a good book to me. I stayed up late to finish it and anytime I'm that roller coastery during a book, it's a good thing. Can't wait for her next one. ( )
  Stacie-C | May 8, 2021 |

Jennifer Weinerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Svensson, HannaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I married Isis on the fifth of May
But I could not hold on to her very long
So I cut off my hair and I rode straight away
For the wild unknown country where I could not go wrong.
--BOB DYLAN, "ISIS"
For Bill
Rachel?" I don't answer.

Jennifer Weiner is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 204,439,025 books! | Top bar: Always visible