Who Do You Love: A Novel by Jennifer Weiner

Who Do You Love: A Novel (edition 2016)

by Jennifer Weiner (Author)

"From the "hilarious, heartbreaking, and insightful" (The Miami Herald) bestselling author Jennifer Weiner comes a sweeping, modern day fairy tale about first romance and lasting love. When the love you love is the one who got away... Rachel Blum and Andy Landis are just eight years old when they meet late one night in an ER waiting room. Born with a congenital heart defect, Rachel is a veteran of hospitals, and she's intrigued by the boy who shows up all alone with a broken arm. He tells her his name. She tells him a story. After Andy's taken back to a doctor and Rachel's sent back to her bed, they think they'll never see each other again. Rachel grows up wanting for nothing in a fancy Florida suburb, the popular and protected daughter of two doting parents. Andy grows up poor in Philadelphia with a single mom and a rare talent that will let him become one of the best runners of his generation. Over the next three decades, their paths cross in magical and ordinary ways. They make grand plans and dream big dreams as they grow together and apart in starts and stops. Through it all, Andy and Rachel never stop thinking about that night in the hospital waiting room all of those years ago, a chance encounter that changed the course of both of their lives. In this captivating, often witty tale about the bonds between women and men, love and fate, and the truth about happy endings, Jennifer Weiner delivers two of her most memorable characters and a love story you'll never forget"--… (more)
Member:inmanlibrary
Title:Who Do You Love: A Novel
Authors:Jennifer Weiner (Author)
Info:Washington Square Press (2016), Edition: Reprint, 400 pages

Who Do You Love by Jennifer Weiner

Jennifer Weiner does it again.

I've long been a fan of Weiner's because she offers up characters in all their foibles and flaws, their messy lives, with humor and compassion, and honesty. The book description uses the words "modern day fairy tale" and talks about how the lives of the main characters Rachel Blum and Andy Landis cross in "magical" ways.

They say magical, I say fate. ToMAYto, toMAHto, I suppose.

Rachel and Andy are living very different lives when they meet at age 8 in the emergency room of a Florida hospital: Rachel lives a life of privilege, well loved and a bit over-protected by her parents, thanks to a congenital heart defect, while Andy is a poor mixed-race kid from Philadelphia who is raised by a seemingly indifferent at times single mother.

When Rachel leaves the hospital, she never expects to see him again, but in the way of fate, their lives do cross, again and again. This is a story about love, the choices we make, second chances, race and privilege.

With Weiner, the characters are real and show their flaws, have triumphs and painful losses, and somehow, everything works out in the end without feeling heavily scripted.

For the full review, check out my blog post at http://www.mommaontherocks.com/5892/what-im-reading-wednesday-two-powerful-tales

An advanced reader copy was provided to me by Atria Books in exchange for an honest review.

jenncaffeinated | Jul 4, 2021 |
I love Jennifer Weiner. She could slap her name on a paper about astrophysics or something like that and I'd probably still read it. I enjoyed watching Rachel and Andy grow up and go on their journeys both alone and together. There were a few cringeworthy and heartbreaking moments in the book and a few that made me mad but those are signs of a good book to me. I stayed up late to finish it and anytime I'm that roller coastery during a book, it's a good thing. Can't wait for her next one. ( )
  Stacie-C | May 8, 2021 |
I gave it 4 starts because I desperately wanted some closure. After following them for 20 years, I just wanted to know what happened besides a meeting in a store! Otherwise I loved this book and found it very real and raw. The back and forth made it a little hard to see all the growth with the characters ( not viewing the sorority incident from Rachel's point of view was a big one for me, but otherwise I loved the way the story flowed and the rawness of the characters. ( )
  sunshine608 | Feb 2, 2021 |
Told in two POVs, Weiner follows a boy (Andy) and girl (Rachel) who meet when they are 8 years old. The book shows them through the years and then eventually when they meet back up again when they are 16. All in all we follow Andy and Rachel until they are in their late 30s I would guess and we get to see the ups and downs in both of their lives and how certain real life events (9/11) impacts some of the choices that they make. That said, I think the book ended rather abruptly. I was around the 84 percent mark and was surprised to get to the end and saw that the rest of the book was just discussion points/reading guide to the book, excerpt from another one of Weiner's books, and just a couple of pages devoted to her other books.

I really enjoyed the last Weiner book that I read "All Fall Down" so was willing to give this one a whirl.

I honestly think that Weiner did a great job with both Rachel and Andy's voices throughout the book. To take two characters from the age of 8 and show them developing/changing until their late 30s was a great idea. I was worried that one of the POV's would be lacking compared to the other one, but they were both given equal time/weight in the book.

Rachel is dealing with the fact that for most of her life until when she meets Andy, she has been sick. Born with a heart defect, her parents have worried that she is going to be taken from them. Due to her health issues this has caused her older brother at times to feel left out in the cold due to all of the attention she receives. Rachel happens to meet Andy in the hospital ER where she goes to get stories to tell to her friend who is also hospitalized. We learn enough about Andy in that little back and forth to know that he is the only son of a single mom and that he is biracial. Neither kid thinks they will see each other again until they do years later during a trip to Atlanta. From there, the book becomes about Andy and Rachel's relationship.

I really liked the writing and was happy that Weiner was able to bring two distinct voices when writing as Andy and as Rachel. I can't say that I enjoyed one more than the other honestly. We get to see Rachel mature after she re-meets Andy and then matures again. If anything, we get to see Rachel realizing that she is making mistakes in her life, but trying to course correct.

With Andy, we see a young man struggling to figure out where he fits in since he is seen as not white enough by white people and not black enough by black people. When he runs he feels truly free and uses that to keep himself out of trouble. However, the book shows that Andy starts to make some choices that is going to cause some trouble down the line.

I do wish that we had gotten more dialogue between Rachel and her mother. She is obsessed with her daughter and it was weird after a while that we would just kind of hear about this character after a while. Also I wish that Rachel had been shown having a conversation with her brother once in a while too. Once again we are just told about this character which I also found weird.

I loved all of the characters we get to meet via Andy in his POV (Mr. Silas, his mother, and his grandparents) and we follow up with them again and again.

I liked the writing in this one. I think the one book that I had a visceral negative reaction to was "Goodnight Nobody". I remember saying to myself that I could not make heads or tails about anything that was going on and had a hard time following who was speaking. Thank goodness this book is nothing like that.

As I said above the ending was rather abrupt. And honestly, I didn't find it realistic. I wish that Weiner had changed things up slightly. ( )
  ObsidianBlue | Jul 1, 2020 |
I really like JW and I really liked this book, but I didn't like the way Andy cheated and how he thought of her behind her back. It made me very sad. Especially when they got back together in the end, I was sad, because I felt the main character deserved better. It was supposed to be a "meant to be" love story, but it just didn't work for me. That being said, I didn't hate the book. ( )
  erinrita | May 28, 2020 |

Jennifer Weinerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Svensson, HannaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I married Isis on the fifth of May
But I could not hold on to her very long
So I cut off my hair and I rode straight away
For the wild unknown country where I could not go wrong.
--BOB DYLAN, "ISIS"
For Bill
Rachel?" I don't answer.

Jennifer Weiner is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,128,061 books! | Top bar: Always visible