Death in the Devil's Acre

by Anne Perry

Series: Charlotte & Thomas Pitt (7)

First a doctor's mutilated body is found in a London slum, and when more slashed bodies are found, Inspector Pitt orders his wife Charlotte off this particular case.

English (7)  Spanish (1)  French (1)  All languages (9)
1887 and Inspector Pitt is called out to a crime scene in Devil's Acre - a body of a man, emasculated. Only to find out that this is not the first victim, and will not be the last. What could possible connected all this different men and what is the motive.
Once again it is up to Pitt with the help of his wife and sister-in-law, Lady Ashworth to discover the truth.
Another enjoyable mystery in this series which can be read as a standalone story. ( )
  Vesper1931 | Jul 29, 2021 |
another high society Victorian murder
  ritaer | Apr 3, 2020 |
This book in the Charlotte & Thomas Pitt mystery series was so laughably improbable that it was actually fun to read. In brief summary, Pit is rousted out of his bed by a sargent in the police to investigate a murder in the notorious London slum of Devil's Acre. The victim has been stabbed in the back, but then his genitals have been cut off.

Of course the tabloid newspapers go wild, and in the subsequent days, several other people are murdered in a similar manner. Pitt, normally, quite intelligent, seems positively flummoxed. His wife Charlotte, always ready to "help" tries to question him but if met with an uncharacteristic attitude from her husband o "Mind your own business and take care of the house."

This would be like waving a red flag in front of Charlotte who immediately (and clandestinely) enlists the help of her sister Emily and gets on the case. There is a lot of clap-trap about bored society women becoming prostitutes and the usual sermonizing about the evils of those who feed off the poor, all leading up to a most ludicrous finale where Charlotte solves the case moments before Pitt bursts through the door.

I ask myself, why do I keep on reading these books, and all I can come up with is that they are my particular guilty pleasure. ( )
  etxgardener | Jun 2, 2015 |
Perhaps reading 3 Pitt novels in close succession made this one boring beyond belief. In any case, it was. The plot (SPOILER ALERT) of upperclass prostitution was a bit thin. Solving the murders was also pretty much luck. The fact that Charlotte was in on the denouement a bit hard to conceive. ( )
  kaulsu | Feb 16, 2012 |
This is the seventh book in Perry's Victorian mystery series featuring Inspector Thomas Pitt and his wife, Charlotte. I really like this series and this is a decent installment, but not my favorite by any means. The killer is revealed a little too quickly at the end of the book without much evidence pointing to them. There's a lot of detective work, but I would've appreciated more clues actually leading a path to the resolutio, if that makes any sense. Perry's characters and Victorian London setting are vivid as always, though, and I do love her writing style. ( )
  allthesedarnbooks | Jan 11, 2012 |

Anne Perryprimary authorall editionscalculated
Botter Pierangeli, RitaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Porter, DavinaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
P.C. Withers sneezed as the icy January wind howled up the alley off the Thames.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,249,770 books! | Top bar: Always visible