The Story Grid: What Good Editors Know by…

The Story Grid: What Good Editors Know (edition 2015)

by Shawn Coyne (Author)

Title:The Story Grid: What Good Editors Know
Authors:Shawn Coyne (Author)
Info:Black Irish Entertainment LLC (2015), 344 pages
Collections:100in2018, Your library, ebook

The Story Grid: What Good Editors Know by Shawn Coyne

Shawn posted the content of this book free on his website-www.storygrid.com. I read along as he posted immediately enamored of the process he was working us through. I'd struggled with revising and editing my WIP and found The Story Grid's intense focus on structure liberating. I finally had a detailed method for uncovering what is working, what isn't and, even more important-how to fix it.

This is destined to be a must-read for serious novelists. ( )
  LynneMF | Aug 20, 2017 |
I started this book thinking it was about writing. It is, but it focuses on story structure, and it's even more of a revision and editing book than a writing book. Coyne's system is fairly complicated, which is going to be exactly what some people love to work with, and which will send other writers screaming and running for the door. He explains his system thoroughly, using The Silence of the Lambs to illustrate the process from start to finish. My main criticism of the book is that I would've liked it if it had been clearer what parts of this system will help you plan your novel out before you start writing vs. which parts you'd use when revising your first draft. Coyne went back and forth between these, which was a mite confusing (but nothing that quality time with a highlighter and some sticky notes can't fix!). And Coyne is a stickler for genre conventions: if you find the idea of writing in a genre is suffocating your creativity, you'll probably be arguing with him all the way through this book. If a well-structured system of organizing and editing your novel appeals to you, then you may love this book. But be warned that it's not a Writing 101 book, and if you want writing help beyond story structure, you'll need to look elsewhere. ( )
  Silvernfire | Dec 19, 2015 |

Shawn Coyneprimary authorall editionscalculated
Pressfield, StevenIntroductionsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
For Bibb, Bleecker, Waverly and Crosby.
In the days, months and years to come, it is my intention to map out Story Grids for as many novels (and some key nonfiction works) as possible.

During his years as an editor at the Big Five publishing houses, as an independent publisher, as a literary agent both at a major Hollywood talent agency and as head of Genre Management Inc., and as a bestselling co-writer and ghostwriter, Shawn Coyne created a methodology called "The Story Grid" to teach the editing craft.--Cover, page 4.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 123,737,650 books! | Top bar: Always visible