This Is Where It Ends by Marieke Nijkamp

This Is Where It Ends (edition 2019)

by Marieke Nijkamp (Author)

Minutes after the principal of Opportunity High School in Alabama finishes her speech welcoming the student body to a new semester, they discover that the auditorium doors will not open and someone starts shooting as four teens, each with a personal reason to fear the shooter, tell the tale from separate perspectives.… (more)
Member:joyfulsoda
Title:This Is Where It Ends
Authors:Marieke Nijkamp (Author)
Info:Sourcebooks Fire (2019), Edition: Reprint, 336 pages

Work Information

This Is Where It Ends by Marieke Nijkamp

English (82)  Dutch (2)  French (1)  All languages (85)
I've researched the psychology of school shooters, and have read some marvelous non-fiction, and fictional accounts as well. Perhaps that is why this didn't ring true to me, or perhaps I'm simply too distracted by real life to really connect right now. For whatever reason these characters felt thin and stretched, with little depth or consequence. ( )
  suzannekmoses | May 20, 2022 |
I was disappointed with this book. I felt like it was too big of a topic to tackle in one novel.

Also, I was not a fan of the four characters that was followed. I did not feel any connection with any of these characters nor did I really want to. ( )
  PeytonHammond | Nov 30, 2021 |
What is it?
This Is Where It Ends, by Marieke Nijkamp, takes place over 54 minutes of time during a high school shooting, switching narrative perspectives each chapter to highlight how each character is dealing with uncertainty in his or her life at school and outside of school. Characters in This Is Where it Ends are juggling their personal uncertainties as well as the uncertainty of survival while a classmate goes on a killing spree in their high school.

Should you read it?
YES! This book was really hard to put down. The chapters switched perspectives of students experiencing a high school shooting from different areas of a high school. As a reader, you get into the minds and hearts of most of the characters because of this. Each character is unique, as is their role not only in high school, but each character has a connection and influence to the unraveling that is happening during the shooting. I would not recommend this reading for students under 9th grade. The descriptions of violent scenes are quite blunt and not censored at all. Bullets go through body parts, throats are slit, and there's a lot of death. There isn't a lot of figurative language or description that glorifies the violence, but there is a lot of violence and death that would not be appropriate for younger or less mature readers. There are a few f-bombs and some derogatory slang, too. The characters, their connections, and how they respond to the actions around them really make this book an intense read.

The cover of the edition I read is above.

Want to know more about the author and her research in writing this story? Check out this interview: https://latinosinkidlit.com/2016/01/18/qa-with-debut-author-marieke-nijkamp-abou... ( )
  Walsh4KoMets | Nov 15, 2021 |
This was a miss for me; 2.5 peaches. I may or may not be compelled to write a review. I'm going to sleep on it.

This is Where it Ends is the miss of the month for me. I struggled to take in the first 50 pages with its slew of characters, changing viewpoints, and info-dumping. In hindsight, I should have quit while I was ahead, but I restarted and felt confident enough to keep going the second time and so saw it through to the end.

Although the theme of a school shooting is an intense one, I was bored when reading this. I had no attachment to the characters who felt fake and forced, as did their connections to each other. I read that this author is part of an initiative for inclusive YA publishing, and quite frankly, was left feeling that this goal ended up taking over the story to the point where all else was lost. Tokenism is not the road to inclusivity. ( )
  PeachyBooksCA | Aug 4, 2021 |
NetGalley gave me advanced copy in exchange for my honest opinion.

I've sat on this review because the timing felt wrong. How do you talk about such a complicated subject in at the start of a new semester? How do you recommend a book about a school massacre to anyone, knowing it is one of the biggest fears of a parent of a student?

I'm also overdue in this review, in part because I don't know where to leave the rating, as my emotions are mixed. I requested it because, darn it, I was intrigued. I liked the concept of the story being told from the point of four different people. It was intense. It was gripping. The cast of characters was diverse. It was good, but it could have been better.

On one hand, it was an oversimplified explanation of why someone would do a Columbine-like shooting, and that is a disappointment to the families of all affected by real-life tragedy, because I don't believe it is as simple as good or evil. It's so much more complex.

But in the end, the way the characters were developed (or the lack thereof) was what bothered me. I wanted to know what pushed Tyler to the breaking point. The characters were diverse, sure,but handled a bit stereotypically.

This is a BIG subject, and parts were just handled too lightly. I read this in fits and starts, because I honestly didn't want these characters living inside my head as I drove into the school drop-off line. It DID stick with me - I'll be honest about that.

This is a book meant for teens, and maybe a teen wouldn't have issues with the generalizations like I did. Yes, I did stick with it, because I needed to see how it played out, but in the end, I wasn't quite sure how I felt about it.

jenncaffeinated | Jul 4, 2021 |
Voor mijn moeder, met liefs
The starter gun shatters the silence, releasing the runners from their blocks.

Marieke Nijkamp is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 170,366,875 books! | Top bar: Always visible