The Last September by Nina de Gramont

The Last September

by Nina de Gramont

One of the best books I've read this year. I hope the author writes more adult fiction. ( )
  Thebrownbookloft | Jun 29, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
When I read this book I wasn’t a huge reader of thriller or psychological thrillers so maybe that’s why this book was just ok for me. I loved Nina’s writing and I flew through this book pretty quickly but it just fell flat to me. Since reading I have started to love thrillers/mysteries and wonder if my thoughts and opinions would be different now a few years later so I may need to re-read at some point. ( )
  LauraMoore | Mar 9, 2018 |
Book Description:
Set against the desolate autumn beauty of Cape Cod, The Last September is a riveting emotional puzzle that takes readers inside the psyche of a woman facing the meaning of love and loyalty.

Brett has been in love with Charlie ever since he took her skiing on a lovely Colorado night fourteen years ago. And now, living in a seaside cottage on Cape Cod with their young daughter, it looks as if they have settled into the life they desired. However, Brett and Charlie’s marriage has been tenuous for quite some time. When Charlie’s unstable younger brother plans to move in with them, the tension simmering under the surface of their marriage boils over.

But what happened to Charlie next was unfathomable. Charlie was the golden boy so charismatic that he charmed everyone who crossed his path; who never shied away from a challenge; who saw life as one big adventure; who could always rescue his troubled brother, no matter how unpredictable the situation.

So who is to blame for the tragic turn of events? And why does Brett feel responsible?

My Review:
This is the first book by this author that I have read but it will not be my last. I found the book very well written and hard to put down. It is a tangled web of love, forgiveness, obsession, friendship and mental illness by flawed human beings. The author approaches these themes with compassion and understanding and a lot of poetry by Emily Dickinson throughout. The ending was very surprising and one I did not see coming. I look forward to reading another book by Nina de Gramont and highly recommend this book to those who love a compassionate story with a bit of mystery. ( )
  EadieB | Oct 27, 2017 |
An easy read, where you are set up to believe you know who the murderer is, yet what the ending is, is kinda obvious. . you already know the WHO done it. But like i said, the story of the delusional happy wife / confused widow is a fairly fast light book. Not a thinker but a good summer read.
3.5 STARS ( )
  linda.marsheells | Jul 24, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
The story flowed and, once it caught up to the opening pages, I couldn't put it down. I thought the characters were well developed and believable. ( )
  kibosa | Jul 17, 2016 |
To Part One:  My Life had stood---a Loaded Gun--In Corners--till a Day The Owner passed---identified--And carried Me away --  Emily Dickinson
To Part Two:  It's all I have to bring today--This, and my heart beside--This, and my heart, and all the fields--And all the meadows wide -- Emily Dickinson
To Part Three:  I had a terror since September, I could tell to none; and so I sing, as the boy does of the burying ground, because I am afraid. -- Emily Dickinson
To Part Four:  In this short Life That only lasts an hour How much -- how little -- is Within our power -- Emily Dickinson
To Peter Steinberg
Because I am a student of literature, I will start my story on the day Charlie died.

Brett has been in love with Charlie ever since he took her skiing on a lovely Colorado night fourteen years ago. And now, living in a seaside cottage on Cape Cod with their young daughter, it looks as if they have settled into the life they desired. However, Brett and Charlie's marriage has been tenuous for quite some time. When Charlie's unstable younger brother plans to move in with them, the tension simmering under the surface of their marriage boils over.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Nina de Gramont's book The Last September was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Nina de Gramont's book The Last September was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

HighBridge Audio

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge Audio.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,603,315 books! | Top bar: Always visible