My Kind of Wonderful

by Jill Shalvis

Series: Cedar Ridge (2)

Bailey Moore has an agenda: skiing in the Rockies, exploring castles in Europe, ballroom dancing in Argentina. Now that she has a second lease on life, she's determined not to miss a thing. What she doesn't realize is that item #1 comes with a six-foot-one ski god hot enough to melt a polar ice cap. She doesn't want to miss out on him either, but Hudson Kincaid isn't the type of guy to love and let go. And as gorgeous as Cedar Ridge is, she's not planning to stick around. As head of ski patrol at his family's resort, Hud thinks he's seen it all. But never has he run into someone like Bailey. She might look delicate, but her attitude is all firecracker. And her infectious joy touches something deep within him that he's been missing far too long. Now he'll just have to convince Bailey to take a chance on her biggest adventure yet...something rare and all kinds of wonderful.… (more)

Like Second Chance Summer, one of those books that relies on the attractiveness of the leads. You''re compelled to spend time with them. Very easy to read, could be shorter though, given the material. Nevertheless, I Immediately moved on to this next book in the series - when Hud finds his soul mate. But by the end, I'd had my fix though, as the books while absorbing are drawn out / unnecessarily long winded, not warranted by the material. They are 10 hours of listening, and would be better 2 hours shorter. Also, I was tired of narrator Karen White's style of reading. It's wonderfully clear but her mannerisms don't appeal to me, it intrudes into the story. Probably if this was the first of the two books I'd read, it would be getting the 4 stars and Second Chance Summer would be getting the 3.5 stars. The similarity between the two books was pleasing and disappointing at the same time. ( )
  Okies | May 17, 2021 |
A lot of people have bucket lists. Bailey Moore is one of them, but for very good reason. She has a second lease on life. After battling cancer for nearly ten years, she finally has a clean bill of health. Since she was diagnosed with cancer at the age of 15, there was a lot she missed in life. Bailey wants to ski on the rockies, dance in Argentina, and that is only for starters.

For now, she has taken on a job at painting a family mural at a resort. She accepted a job from Hudson Kincaid's mother, and as it turns out, Hudson is hardly pleased at the prospect. Bailey may be at the resort to paint, but she is delighted in the fact that Hud is actually the head of ski patrol, so she knows that will be soon one thing she can strike off of her list. Bailey must admit that she is rather drawn to Hud.

Hud has been struck between the eyes. He likes everything he sees when he looks at Bailey, but he is just about floored when she removes her hat and can tell at that very moment that this is one strong woman who no doubt has fought with major health issues. It is undeniable. As undeniable as the attraction he feels towards her.

Bailey and Hud often knock heads, especially because Hud is currently carrying the world on his shoulders. In part this is due to the fact that he hasn't seen his twin brother Jacob in years, and he won't give up looking for him. Furthermore, Hud is more than concerned for his mother, as she is coping with early onset dementia.

Both Bailey and Hud were remarkable characters. Bailey is as strong and as beautiful a they come. Hud was amazing because of the love he has for his family and how it was so easy for him to extend warm feelings toward Bailey while not being scared off with her health issues.

As My Kind of Wonderful is the second book in a series, there is extended family that were previously introduced in the first story, Second Chance Summer. As I just read that book, I definitely enjoyed seeing some of them here in this book. In addition, this series is rounded out by Nobody But You, which have already had the pleasure of reading. This book, and the entire series, is very touching, as well as being quite romantic. ( )
  RobinLovesReading | Oct 25, 2019 |
Hudson is constantly working and on the move, he doeson't have time for a relationship. Bailey is a graphic artist who is embracing life after beating her cancer.
  wyldheartreads | Jun 20, 2019 |
I had a fantastic time with this romance. I pulled this book from my virtual stack of past due review books. It was a great book so I have no idea why I waited so long to pick it up and read it. Of course, I have yet to read a Jill Shalvis book that I didn't like so it really is no surprise that I liked this one as much as I did. This is the second book in the Cedar Ridge series but it is easily read as a stand-alone novel.

Hud takes his responsibilities very seriously. He takes care of his mother and accepts all of the blame for his brother leaving town. He is very dedicated to his work and seems to be on the clock all the time. He wants no part of the mural for the resort that his mother has arranged. Bailey is ready to embrace life and do all of the things she has had to put off for so long. The first thing on her list that she wants to complete is the mural for the ski resort.

The characters in this book were great. Bailey has been through a lot but still has a very positive attitude and is looking forward to her future. Hudson is an incredibly hard worker who is dedicated to his family and doing what is right. Hudson has a large family that also work at the ski resort that played a big part of this story and were all a lot of fun. Bailey's loved ones wanted to protect her and keep her safe even though they didn't always seem to completely support her choices.

I loved Hud and Bailey together. The chemistry between them was amazing and I felt like these two really needed each other. Hudson saw Bailey as more than her illness and helped to give her back the sense of normal that she needed. Bailey added the balance to Hudson's life that he didn't realize he needed. I felt like both of these characters came alive every time they were together and I couldn't help but cheer them on towards their happily ever after.

I would recommend this book to fans of contemporary romance. This was a story filled with great chemistry, touching moments, and a lot of hope. I can't wait to read more from Jill Shalvis!

I received a digital review copy of this book from Forever (Grand Central Publishing). ( )
  Carolesrandomlife | Dec 4, 2018 |
Sweet, sappy contemporary romance. And I don't mean sweet and sappy in a bad way. Its well written its just one of those books that has the sick girl, the tortured guy, the big screw up, and then the grand gesture. Sappy in a heartwarming kind of way, you know? If you love Jill's books, you will love this! ( )
  thebookdisciple | Oct 9, 2018 |

Shalvis, JillAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
White, KarenReadermain authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Belongs to Publisher Series

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,191,759 books! | Top bar: Always visible