Une colère noire. Lettre à mon…

Une colère noire. Lettre à mon fils (edition 2016)

by Ta-Nehisi Coates (Author), Thomas Chaumont (Traduction)

3,3022032,371 (4.37)332
Member:lcottereau
Title:Une colère noire. Lettre à mon fils
Authors:Ta-Nehisi Coates (Author)
Other authors:Thomas Chaumont (Traduction)
Info:Autrement (2016), 196 pages
Collections:Wishlist

Between the World and Me by Ta-Nehisi Coates

English (199)  Piratical (1)  French (1)  Spanish (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (203)
A beautiful, eloquent letter to his son. A black man to his 15 year old son.
I am not black, not a black father, or a black mother, so I am thankful to writers who share a glimpse of what it is like to be Black in America. ( )
  ioplibrarian | Aug 26, 2018 |
incredible and damning ( )
  adaorhell | Aug 24, 2018 |
Crushing

The weight of this book is crushing. It is raw and scathing. It's full of love and tenderness. It's left my head spinning and my heart aching. ( )
  Mattmcmanus | Aug 23, 2018 |
Poor stuff. Poetic prose, which is an excuse for lack of clarity . Throws around some concept words like the "dreamers", the "whites" who seem to be actually blacks. I couldn't work out who these referred to. General idea seems to be African-Americans still have some way to go; whose fault that is remains unclear. apparently a big success in the States, much praised by Toni Morrison - but then i found her very hard to follow too. ( )
  vguy | Aug 19, 2018 |
Amazingly powerful.
  amyem58 | Aug 6, 2018 |
Between the World and Me is, in important ways, a book written toward white Americans, and I say this as one them. White Americans may need to read this book more urgently and carefully than anyone, and their own sons and daughters need to read it as well. This is not to say this is a book about white people, but rather that it is a terrible mistake for anyone to assume that this is just a book about nonwhite people. In the broadest terms Between the World and Me is about the cautious, tortured, but finally optimistic belief that something beyond these categories persists. Implicit in this book’s existence is a conviction that people are fundamentally reachable, perhaps not all of them but enough, that recognition and empathy are within grasp, that words and language are capable of changing people, even if—especially if—those words are not ones people prefer to hear.
added by elenchus | editslate.com, Jack Hamilton (Jul 9, 2015)

In the scant space of barely 160 pages, Atlantic national correspondent Coates (The Beautiful Struggle) has composed an immense, multifaceted work. This is a poet's book, revealing the sensibility of a writer to whom words—exact words—matter....It's also a journalist's book, not only because it speaks so forcefully to issues of grave interest today, but because of its close attention to fact...As a meditation on race in America, haunted by the bodies of black men, women, and children, Coates's compelling, indeed stunning, work is rare in its power to make you want to slow down and read every word. This is a book that will be hailed as a classic of our time.
added by theaelizabet | editPublishers Weekly

Ta-Nehisi Coatesprimary authorall editionscalculated
Cornets de Groot, Rutger H.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Cunningham, CarolineDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mollica, GregCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
And one morning while in the woods I stumbled suddenly upon the thing,

Stumbled upon it in a grassy clearing guarded by scaly oaks and elms

And the sooty details of the scene rose, thrusting themselves between the world and me...

—Richard Wright
For David and Kenyatta,

who believed
Son,

Last Sunday the host of a popular news show asked me what it meant to lose my body.

"For Ta-Nehisi Coates, history has always been personal. At every stage of his life, he's sought in his explorations of history answers to the mysteries that surrounded him -- most urgently, why he, and other black people he knew, seemed to live in fear. What were they afraid of? In Tremble for My Country, Coates takes readers along on his journey through America's history of race and its contemporary resonances through a series of awakenings -- moments when he discovered some new truth about our long, tangled history of race, whether through his myth-busting professors at Howard University, a trip to a Civil War battlefield with a rogue historian, a journey to Chicago's South Side to visit aging survivors of 20th century America's 'long war on black people,' or a visit with the mother of a beloved friend who was shot down by the police. In his trademark style -- a mix of lyrical personal narrative, reimagined history, essayistic argument, and reportage -- Coates provides readers a thrillingly illuminating new framework for understanding race: its history, our contemporary dilemma, and where we go from here"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,825,464 books! | Top bar: Always visible