Between the world and me by Ta-Nehisi Coates

Between the world and me (edition 2015)

by Ta-Nehisi Coates

Member:SuziQoregon
Title:Between the world and me
Authors:Ta-Nehisi Coates
Info:New York, New York : Random House Audio : Books on Tape, [2015]
Collections:Read, Library, Audio, Read but unowned
Rating:****1/2
Tags:2018

Between the World and Me by Ta-Nehisi Coates

English (209)  Piratical (1)  French (1)  Spanish (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (213)
I usually struggle with non-fiction and first person accounts, but perhaps I didn't with Between the World and Me because of both the length (being a short 152 pages) and how compelling it is to read Coates' three chapter plea to his son. There are some very unique thoughts and realizations here that as a reader who hasn't known the intimate details of the African-American experience had never taken the time to consider before. And these ideas resonated with me, especially when Coates writes about how easily it is as a black man to have your body "taken away from you". Worth a read, especially with all the attention it's getting. ( )
  Katie_Roscher | Jan 18, 2019 |
Coates' prose is lovely. I'd love it if he felt compelled to write a novel. ( )
  fionaanne | Dec 22, 2018 |
One of the most painfully beautiful essays I have ever read. A must-read for anyone, but especially fathers with sons. ( )
  dianawr | Nov 29, 2018 |
Strong and certainly passionate. But I wished for a few more glimpses of optimism on this epistle to his son. Then again, I haven't lived his experiences... Certainly a very valuable and thought-provoking perspective. I'm going to be processing this one for quite sometime. ( )
  decaturmamaof2 | Nov 28, 2018 |
This is how you do it. ( )
  graffiti.living | Nov 20, 2018 |
Between the World and Me is, in important ways, a book written toward white Americans, and I say this as one them. White Americans may need to read this book more urgently and carefully than anyone, and their own sons and daughters need to read it as well. This is not to say this is a book about white people, but rather that it is a terrible mistake for anyone to assume that this is just a book about nonwhite people. In the broadest terms Between the World and Me is about the cautious, tortured, but finally optimistic belief that something beyond these categories persists. Implicit in this book’s existence is a conviction that people are fundamentally reachable, perhaps not all of them but enough, that recognition and empathy are within grasp, that words and language are capable of changing people, even if—especially if—those words are not ones people prefer to hear.
added by elenchus | editslate.com, Jack Hamilton (Jul 9, 2015)

In the scant space of barely 160 pages, Atlantic national correspondent Coates (The Beautiful Struggle) has composed an immense, multifaceted work. This is a poet's book, revealing the sensibility of a writer to whom words—exact words—matter....It's also a journalist's book, not only because it speaks so forcefully to issues of grave interest today, but because of its close attention to fact...As a meditation on race in America, haunted by the bodies of black men, women, and children, Coates's compelling, indeed stunning, work is rare in its power to make you want to slow down and read every word. This is a book that will be hailed as a classic of our time.
added by theaelizabet | editPublishers Weekly

Ta-Nehisi Coatesprimary authorall editionscalculated
Cornets de Groot, Rutger H.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Cunningham, CarolineDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mollica, GregCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
And one morning while in the woods I stumbled suddenly upon the thing,

Stumbled upon it in a grassy clearing guarded by scaly oaks and elms

And the sooty details of the scene rose, thrusting themselves between the world and me...

—Richard Wright
For David and Kenyatta,

who believed
Son,

Last Sunday the host of a popular news show asked me what it meant to lose my body.

"For Ta-Nehisi Coates, history has always been personal. At every stage of his life, he's sought in his explorations of history answers to the mysteries that surrounded him -- most urgently, why he, and other black people he knew, seemed to live in fear. What were they afraid of? In Tremble for My Country, Coates takes readers along on his journey through America's history of race and its contemporary resonances through a series of awakenings -- moments when he discovered some new truth about our long, tangled history of race, whether through his myth-busting professors at Howard University, a trip to a Civil War battlefield with a rogue historian, a journey to Chicago's South Side to visit aging survivors of 20th century America's 'long war on black people,' or a visit with the mother of a beloved friend who was shot down by the police. In his trademark style -- a mix of lyrical personal narrative, reimagined history, essayistic argument, and reportage -- Coates provides readers a thrillingly illuminating new framework for understanding race: its history, our contemporary dilemma, and where we go from here"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,661,740 books! | Top bar: Always visible