dismiss

Between the World and Me by Ta-Nehisi Coates

Between the World and Me (edition 2015)

by Ta-Nehisi Coates (Author)

"For Ta-Nehisi Coates, history has always been personal. At every stage of his life, he's sought in his explorations of history answers to the mysteries that surrounded him -- most urgently, why he, and other black people he knew, seemed to live in fear. What were they afraid of? In Tremble for My Country, Coates takes readers along on his journey through America's history of race and its contemporary resonances through a series of awakenings -- moments when he discovered some new truth about our long, tangled history of race, whether through his myth-busting professors at Howard University, a trip to a Civil War battlefield with a rogue historian, a journey to Chicago's South Side to visit aging survivors of 20th century America's 'long war on black people,' or a visit with the mother of a beloved friend who was shot down by the police. In his trademark style -- a mix of lyrical personal narrative, reimagined history, essayistic argument, and reportage -- Coates provides readers a thrillingly illuminating new framework for understanding race: its history, our contemporary dilemma, and where we go from here"--… (more)
Member:nivramkoorb
Title:Between the World and Me
Authors:Ta-Nehisi Coates (Author)
Info:One World (2015), Edition: 1, 176 pages
Rating:***1/2

Between the World and Me by Ta-Nehisi Coates

English (267)  French (2)  Piratical (1)  Catalan (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (272)
This book has been out there for almost 5 years and I am glad that I finally got to read it. When I rate a book, my enjoyment and its' page turning content go into my opinion. This was not an easy book to read but it was an important one. Coates is an excellent writer and his prose was compelling. His book to written as a letter to his teenage son and as you read about his upbringing you come to truly begin to understand what it is like to grow up a black man in America. Each of us has to come to our own conclusions as to how we see the lives of others versus our own lives. As you read this you do come to the conclusion that the basis for the United States was European colonialism where we committed genocide on the Native Americans that were here and on 400 years of slavery and an economic and cultural structure that has created a less than perfect world for minorities in our country. If you can walk away from this book with a understanding as to where the rage comes from then you will have at least taken the first step to be there to support change. Again, this is not an easy book but a necessary book and at 152 pages it is just the right length. ( )
  nivramkoorb | Aug 1, 2020 |
Elegant prose, what a struggle the African American experience ( )
  bsmashers | Aug 1, 2020 |
Coates pithily relates some of the sources of indignant exasperation for another generation of black Americans.

Great Divide Roadie Grapefruit Radler
Relic Silent Shroud Pale Ale
  MusicalGlass | Jul 25, 2020 |
Hjertet mitt dundret som i et kolibribryst med opplevd 1000 slag pr minutt under hele lesningen på en ettermiddag - det føltes om om jeg holdt pusten under hele boken. Jeg kjente klangen fra I am not your Negro med James Baldwin der de store sorte navn igjen talte til meg. De talte om berøvelsen, om tyveriet, om hvor nødvendig tyveriet er for økonomien, om hvor nødvendig politimannen er for å opprettholde dette bildet av disse umenneskelige med en annen hudfarge, disse som vi bare kan bruke, hindre, lyve for, voldta og til slutt drepe under den evige beskyldningen om at "Jeg trodde jeg så en hagle" eller annen fryktbasert løgn som systemet setter all sin tiltro til. Det gjennomgående er forholdet til den ikke-eide materielle, ideologiske, historiske og mentale sorte kroppen som også Baldwin uttrykker klart da han i et intervju forklarte hvorfor han flyttet til Paris i 1948 - "for ellers ville jeg bltt drept av en hvit politimann". Boken er skrevet som en monolog til forfatterens egen sønn der frykten jager gjennom boksidene.
  lestrond | Jul 21, 2020 |
One example of racism this author mentions is that in high school he had to study french and he didn't know why. This was very alienating and off-putting for him. After this book was published he went on a sabbatical to Paris. He sat down and talked to Charlie Rose about it afterwards. It seemed there was a language barrier in Paris he was unable to surmount. I was often frustrated by Charlie Rose's lack of interviewing skills and he didn't delve into it and likely hadn't even read the book before hand but Coates seemed to be oblivious to the irony anyway. In the book he mentions that his wife showed him these photos she had taken of Parisian doors and he became a big fan of Parisian doors. So perhaps he walked around Paris admiring the doors never having to knock on the doors or interact with anyone. When he is not talking about race and white supremacy he seems to be without guile, disarmingly unselfconscious and perhaps this is the key to his popularity. ( )
  JoeHamilton | Jul 21, 2020 |
Between the World and Me is, in important ways, a book written toward white Americans, and I say this as one them. White Americans may need to read this book more urgently and carefully than anyone, and their own sons and daughters need to read it as well. This is not to say this is a book about white people, but rather that it is a terrible mistake for anyone to assume that this is just a book about nonwhite people. In the broadest terms Between the World and Me is about the cautious, tortured, but finally optimistic belief that something beyond these categories persists. Implicit in this book’s existence is a conviction that people are fundamentally reachable, perhaps not all of them but enough, that recognition and empathy are within grasp, that words and language are capable of changing people, even if—especially if—those words are not ones people prefer to hear.
added by elenchus | editslate.com, Jack Hamilton (Jul 9, 2015)

In the scant space of barely 160 pages, Atlantic national correspondent Coates (The Beautiful Struggle) has composed an immense, multifaceted work. This is a poet's book, revealing the sensibility of a writer to whom words—exact words—matter....It's also a journalist's book, not only because it speaks so forcefully to issues of grave interest today, but because of its close attention to fact...As a meditation on race in America, haunted by the bodies of black men, women, and children, Coates's compelling, indeed stunning, work is rare in its power to make you want to slow down and read every word. This is a book that will be hailed as a classic of our time.
added by theaelizabet | editPublishers Weekly

Ta-Nehisi Coatesprimary authorall editionscalculated
Cornets de Groot, Rutger H.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Cunningham, CarolineDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mollica, GregCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
And one morning while in the woods I stumbled suddenly upon the thing,

Stumbled upon it in a grassy clearing guarded by scaly oaks and elms

And the sooty details of the scene rose, thrusting themselves between the world and me...

—Richard Wright
For David and Kenyatta,
who believed
Son,
Last Sunday the host of a popular news show asked me what it meant to lose my body.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 148,921,585 books! | Top bar: Always visible