Wedding Cake Murder (A Hannah Swensen…

Wedding Cake Murder (A Hannah Swensen Mystery) (original 2016; edition 2017)

by Joanne Fluke (Author)

Hannah is marrying Ross Barton, her college crush, but not before she can solve the murder case of nasty celebrity chef Alain Duquesne found stabbed to death in the Lake Eden Inn's walk-in cooler.
Member:Anna214
Title:Wedding Cake Murder (A Hannah Swensen Mystery)
Authors:Joanne Fluke (Author)
Info:Kensington (2017), Edition: Reprint, 400 pages

Wedding Cake Murder by Joanne Fluke (2016)

Hannah Swenson, owner of the Cookie Jar bakery, is getting married. Buut first, Hannah has to deal with the Food Cannel's Dessert Chef Contest. The date had been moved so that it was happening right during the days before her wedding. At least her Mom and sisters were keeping the wedding planning on schedule. Hannah and her youngest sister headed off to the coast for the first challenge of the contest. As luck would have it, her fiancé was able to come along and film the contest for the local KCOW tv channel. If Hannah won the first contest, the network would move the contest to her hometown. The contest judges were an interesting group. The head judge was an ornery self-absorbed older man whom Hannah's Aunt Nancy remembered from high school. So, Hannah got the scoop on what types of desserts she needed to create for the contest. Just when things were going well, one of the judges was found murdered. Who was responsible? And how was Hannah going to solve the murder, so that her wedding would not be affected?

This was a typical cozy mystery. It was light and somewhat funny. I enjoy the characters, but they are all such stereotypical cozy characters. Overbearing well-to-do mother, overly understanding boyfriends, nosy relatives, a grudge bearing killer, womanizing celebrities, a very nosy buttinsky main character, and a cat; all living in small town midwest Minnesota. ( )
  Raspberrymocha | May 26, 2021 |
A bit too "precious" and antiquated for a modern day novel, however I can't decide if there might be some sort of campy appeal here because I did read to the end and I did want to figure out the "mystery." It bothered me that nobody was bothered very much by the murder and the ultimate conclusion felt contrived. I like the recipes included, some sound good and others not so good, but it was fun to read them. The authors treatment of the Gloria character was very regressive, but heck even the protagonist Hannah is pretty dopey. ( )
  mbellucci | Apr 10, 2021 |
Wedding Cake Murder is book #19 in the Hannah Swensen Mystery series. After not really liking book #18, Double Fudge Brownie Murder, I was pleasantly surprised by this book. The writing was better. The characters were back to their usual behavior for the most part, and the plot was well-structured and more interesting.

Hannah Swensen is gearing up not only for her wedding but also for the Food Channel's Dessert Chef Contest. Hannah has a bit of stage fright in the first round of the competition, but still manages to win so the entire production comes to Lake Eden for the rest of the contest. She is hoping to really wow the head judge, Alain Duquesne, but it turns out that won't be an issue. Hannah's sister discovers the difficult judge stabbed to death inside a walk-in cooler. So, family and friends gather around Hannah to help her complete the contest and investigate Duquesne's murder.

Just as with every other Hannah Swensen book, Wedding Cake Murder has a lot of fluff. But...this is a cozy mystery and it's supposed to be a light read with fluff. There are lots of yummy recipes and quite a bit of subplot....Hannah's wedding, the cooking contest, and Hannah's personal relationships with her friends and family. I didn't like the last book because I felt like the characters were just off....not behaving like they had for 17 previous books. And the writing and plot just weren't Joanne Fluke's usual style, in my opinion. But...now that I really think about it, Double Fudge Brownie Murder dealt with a major subplot issue that had been a long time coming. And it was a surprise. I think it was a tough book to write after so many years of the characters acting in certain ways. (I'm not going to throw out any spoilers). Wedding Cake Murder finishes out some new plot points and paves the way for the series to head in a new direction. Bravo!! Finally!!

This book is sweet and back on track, as far as I'm concerned. The mystery was light, cozy fare, which is what I like about the Hannah Swensen series. And, all is wrapped up nicely just before it's time for Hannah to be married. :)

Just two more books to go! Christmas Caramel Murder is next, and then Banana Cream Pie Murder, which will be released February 28th. I've had a review copy awaiting my arrival at the end of the series....I can't wait to read it!! ( )
  JuliW | Nov 22, 2020 |
Hannah and sister Michelle are competing in a Dessert Chef competition sponsored by the Food channel. The winner of the first challenge moves the competition to the winner's home town. Hannah is determined to win this challenge. To make things even more interesting is that immediately after the competition, Hannah and Ross are to be married.
The murdered person in this book is not found by Hannah, but by Michelle. Hannah has just a few days to solve the murder before her wedding. ( )
  travelgal | Aug 16, 2020 |
Hannah’s getting married! But wait . . .

First, there’s the Food Channel Dessert competition. Hannah’s off to New York for the initial round [with fiancé Ross gallantly upgrading her airline reservation to first class and her hotel room to a suite]. When her Magic White Chocolate Soufflé wins the first round, the contest moves to Eden Lake for the remaining challenges that will take place before determining the Food Channel’s Top Dessert Chef.

But the murder of Alain Duquesne, one of the competition judges, keeps Hannah busier than ever between making new cookies for The Cookie Jar, competing for the top dessert chef title, and searching for the murder. Will she find the murderer? And, now that one of the judges is dead, what will happen to the dessert contest?

With Andrea, Michelle, and her mother making all the wedding plans and Norman and Mike cheerfully agreeing to stand with Ross [really?], Hannah has plenty of time to create wonderful desserts, compete, and hunt for the killer. Aside from the wedding to almost-stranger-Ross [who seems a bit smarmy . . . why is he always upgrading and changing things?], the story is relatively straightforward. There are no real twists . . . there’s a last-minute revelation that leads to the unveiling of the murderer, and there are a gazillion recipes guaranteed to provide sugar overload for everyone in Eden Lake. Now the only remaining mystery is Hannah’s groom, Ross. [To be continued in the next book???] ( )
  jfe16 | Feb 3, 2020 |

Joanne Flukeprimary authorall editionscalculated
Toren, SuzanneNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

This book is for Anne Elizabeth, my lovely and talented writer friend, who's married to a SEAL (The Navy kind)
"No, it's not the wedding I dreamed of, but it is  the wedding I want!"

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Joanne Fluke's book The Wedding Cake Murder was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,583,089 books! | Top bar: Always visible