Toward the Sunrise: An Until the Dawn Novella

by Elizabeth Camden

Julia Broeder is only six months shy of graduating from the Women's Medical College of Pennsylvania when one small decision spirals out of control and results in her expulsion. Hoping to travel the world as a missionary doctor, her only choice is to return back home . . . or throw herself upon the mercy of Ashton Carlyle. Formal and straight-laced, Ashton is not pleased to see an expelled Julia arrive at his Manhattan office. His position as an attorney for the Vandermark family's world-famous shipping empire entails taking care of the Broeders, longtime employees of the Vandermarks. But Ashton has no intention of using his employer's resources in defense of Julia's impulsive and reckless actions. What Ashton does not expect are a scathing reprimand from none other than the Vandermark family patriarch and the bewildering resistance from Julia herself when he's forced to change his tune. At an impasse, Ashton and Julia are unprepared for the revelations that arise or the adventure that awaits them. In this novella, award-winning novelist Elizabeth Camden introduces readers to the world of the grand Hudson River Valley estate Dierenpark and the enigmatic Vandermark family. Includes an extended preview of Until the Dawn, Camden's full-length Dierenpark novel.… (more)

This historical fiction novella of a female about to graduate from The Women's Medical College of Pennsylvania touched my heart in multiple ways as my mother graduated from The Woman’s Medical College of Pennsylvania Hospital School of Nursing and was a US Cadet Nurse at this hospital during WWII. I was born at this hospital.

I loved reading Julia Broeder's story and couldn't wait to see if her hopes and dreams would come true and what part a NY lawyer would play in her life.

I also learned a few things about goats that was interesting as I've really never had any direct interaction with goats. They are a recent addition to a horse farm up the street from our home and since reading the novella I've given them an extra glance or two as I drive by when they're out and about in the different pastures.

I'm looking forward to reading more of this author's historical fiction writing. ( )
  FerneMysteryReader | Jul 16, 2021 |
3.5/5 stars

slower than i'd like and W A Y more goat birth than i expected (aka: none) but i was attached to the characters by the end. it just took, you know, 7/9 chapters for me to get there ( )
  bloomingtea | Jun 28, 2020 |
Book #0.5, in Until the Down series

I am not a huge fan of novellas but I will make exception here. It was just enough of a teaser to see the author style and enjoy her introduction to the series and her characters. By omitting the fluff that no one really cares about, the author has managed to propel an excellent storyline within 100 pages or so.

This page- turner for some but maybe not for others brings us to the end of the 19th century in Hudson River Valley and is a good start to the Until Dawn series. Although I wish “Toward the Sunrise” would have been a novel instead. The story offers an intriguing peek in the life of residents of the abandoned Vandermark historic estate. Julia Broeder is the main character she dreams becoming a medical missionary and with the help of Aston Carlyle she will achieve her dream ……and more. The plot is vivid, complex and is well paced. Considering the shortness of this novel the characterisation is quite enjoyable although missing substance. (Unfortunately, there is no time for development in a novella).

This is a sweet historical romance novella I enjoyed quite a bit. Maybe I was just in the right mood for this type of book…… ( )
  Tigerpaw70 | Jun 23, 2017 |
Toward the Sunrise is a sweet fast novella, and a page-turner at that. We are at the end of the nineteenth century and we have a young woman in college near the end of her degree of becoming a doctor.
Not only is Julia on the cutting edge of being a woman doctor, she has way too much spunk for one so young. There is something strange about the way she was able to afford to go to medical school. Her father was a groundskeeper at the Vandermark estate, and for some reason one of the lawyers for the Vandermark’s, Ashton Carlyle, is told to do all possible to help her.
In the end I wondered if she was ever going to get a medical degree, or maybe a Veterinarian? She ends up helping dogs and goats, and Ashton ends up doing a lot more than he thought he would in order to make her dreams come true.
There is also a beginning of a new book that is coming out featuring a character we meet named Sophia. I really enjoyed reading this and was done way to soon!
I received this Novella through Bethany House Publishers and was not required to give a positive review. ( )
  alekee | Oct 6, 2015 |

Bethany House

An edition of this book was published by Bethany House.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 170,120,442 books! | Top bar: Always visible