Warren the 13th and The All-Seeing Eye

by Tania Del Rio, Will Staehle (Illustrator)

Series: Warren the 13th (1)

19738114,631 (4.13)6
Meet Warren the 13th, a cursed 12-year-old Victorian bellhop who's terribly unlucky...yet perpetually optimistic, hard-working, and curious. Orphan Warren's pride and joy is his family's hotel, but he's been miserable ever since his evil Aunt Anaconda took over the management. Anaconda believes a mysterious treasure known as the All-Seeing Eye is hidden somewhere on the grounds, and she'll do anything to find it. If Warren wants to preserve his family's legacy, he'll need to find the treasure first--if the hotel's many strange and wacky guests don't beat him to it… (more)

Warren the 13th and the All-Seeing Eye was good, but not quite what I was expecting. While it could be put in the Gothic category, there is a Steam Punk element that surprised me. I'm not sure if that's a good thing; at least for me. Middle-Grade readers will probably love it.

Perhaps my problem is that I was expecting a story that was a bit darker like Lemony Snicket's "A Series of Unfortunate Events" books. It's close to that kind of darkness, but not quite. Also, the story is rather simple. There isn't much complexity at all, and that leads me to think that perhaps this book was written for the youngest Middle-Grade reader.

Overall, it's still an excellent choice for young readers, especially if they've just graduated from Children's books. Adult readers will likely enjoy reading it aloud to their kids as well. ( )
  FortifiedByBooks | Jan 5, 2021 |
I love everything about this book: engaging plot, fantastic illustrations, ongoing suspense, and interesting characters. Warren the 13th has everything! I know it’s been compared to the Lemony Snicket series, but I prefer Warren the 13th by a pretty wide margin. This was fun to read, and the illustrations are superb. Books like this are what me fall in love with reading (oh so long ago), and that’s a wonderful thing to be reminded of! ( )
  MadMaudie | Sep 5, 2020 |
I really enjoyed the illustrations here, especially of Warren's beautiful hair. The story was cute, the ending set up the potential for great future adventures. ( )
  katebrarian | Jul 28, 2020 |
5 STARS

“I received this book from netGalley in exchange for an honest review. This is in no way affected my opinion of the book, or the content of my review.”

My first thought after I finished this book is: I love IT!

If my little sister or little cousins knew English I would’ve obliged them to read this book right this second!!

It was fun and exciting to follow young Warren on his treasure hunt, it wasn’t hard to guess what would happen next, but sometimes it completely threw me off the track and left me wondering, “How is the author going to solve this mess?”

This story was refreshing, but most importantly I liked the morals in this book and how warren made the right decisions even if they were not to his likings.
I really recommend this book to younger readers and older as well, go pick it up!.
  Leila.Khouane | May 24, 2020 |
Series Info/Source: This is the first book in the Warren the 13th trilogy. I got a finished copy of this book from Quirk Books to review.

Story (4/5): This is a well done story about a preteen boy who is a bit different and works to keep a creepy hotel up and running. His evil aunt is determined to find an All Seeing Eye and Warren gets help from unlikely places to beat her to the find. It’s a well done middle grade story with some light humor and an eerie vibe to it.

Characters (4/5): I enjoyed all of the characters here but didn’t deeply engage with any of them. They are all well done but don’t have a ton of depth.

Setting (4/5): The whole story takes place in the hotel Warren runs. This was a fun and slightly creepy setting that I enjoyed. There seem to be more mysteries to unravel about this house.

Writing/Drawing Style (4/5): This book is beautifully put together with an amazing binding, larger format, and delightful pictures throughout. This is one of those books that is just as fun to look at as it is to read. The writing style is easy to read and targeted at a younger audience. However, adults may also enjoy the quality of the book and the fun little story it contains.

Summary (4/5): Overall this was a fun read, the highlight of this book is really how beautifully the whole thing is bound and put together. This would make a great coffee table book or book to display in a classroom. The illustration is very well done and the story is fun. The characters don’t have a lot of depth but there is a nice mystery set in a slightly eerie setting. ( )
  krau0098 | Mar 8, 2020 |

Tania Del Rioprimary authorall editionscalculated
Staehle, WillIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Collins, Kevin T.Narratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Tania Del Rio's book Warren the 13th and the All-Seeing Eye was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 171,545,992 books! | Top bar: Always visible