All Light Will Fall by Almney King

All Light Will Fall (edition 2015)

by Almney King (Author), Derek Vasconi (Editor), Rania Meng (Cover Design)

Member:HOTCHA
Title:All Light Will Fall
Authors:Almney King (Author)
Other authors:Derek Vasconi (Editor), Rania Meng (Cover Design)
Info:Sakura Publishing (2015), 336 pages

All Light Will Fall by Almney King

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I appreciate that the author wrote this story when she was 16-18 years old, but, honestly, it reads as though written by a ten-year-old. Choppy, repetitive language, frequent overuse of certain words (especially "beautiful"), frequent mis-use of words (e.g., "dogged" instead of "dodged"), run-on scenes, extremely simplistic action sequences (and the simplistic triviality with which most of the protagonist's fights resolve), etc.

If she hasn't already, I'd suggest a few things (in response to her request for feedback on Goodreads):

Vocabulary. Be careful of overusing the same words sooo often, and ensure your understanding of the words you do use. Having a dictionary nearby while proofreading your own work helps, but the best way of broadening and strengthening your own vocabulary is almost always to read. A lot. And take the time to be sure you understand every word you read, even if you have to keep a dictionary nearby while you read.

Get to *know* the phrase "Show, don't tell." It's not just a Rush song (although that's worth a listen, too), but a common writers' mantra that's utterly vital to delivering setting, scene, and story smoothly and clearly. Look up the phrase anywhere (even Wikipedia) and absorb it deeply. For example, this concept could be especially important in conveying the utter alien newness of Meridian: don't keep telling me over and over how alien and beautiful it is, describe to me what it is that is so alien and/or so beautiful that I'll be able to see that it is without you haven't to tell me that it is.)

There's obviously all kinds of more, but those two pillars stick out the most strongly to me, and I suspect that working long on those will cause many other gaps will fill themselves in along the way.

In short, IMO, the high-level story concept and outline of "All Light Will Fall" wasn't bad at all, but the experience and skill to tell it well just wasn't there at all. (Yet?) ( )
  Thogek | Apr 13, 2018 |
What an intriguing yet sad story for one seventeen year old girl to endure, and I can only imagine her pain and suffering! I liked Corrine from the start with her curiousness about the other city banned to her town. It had been over seventy years since the Trinity War ended taking free will from the common man. Always tracked wherever you went and whatever you did by the ruling ARTIKA. once she's caught in forbidden territory, she is put through every horror you can imagine, yet she survived and is now a weapon they called 2100. ( )
  HOTCHA | Mar 13, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I hate to buck the trend of "wow" reviews on Amazon, but while I found this book interesting, there were far too many flaws for me to rate it more highly. I think the author will mature into a wonderful talent, but she's just not there yet. Perhaps it was the formatting of the e-book version that I read, but I found the storyline jumped from scene to scene with no transition to indicate the passage of time or why/how the main character suddenly found herself in a new location. Especially distracting to me was the incorrect usage of several words; the example that stands out was describing an adversary as "invulnerable" when he was obviously showing a moment of vulnerability. I think that the author was a bit too ambitious with the breadth of story she wanted to tell and found it disappointing that she stopped the book rather than ending it. There's obviously a sequel planned to wrap up the many loose ends, but it left me unsatisfied. ( )
  bboxfan | Jan 5, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I'm still a little on the fence with this one. I finished it a few days ago but I needed some time to think on it. This is one of those books where I say I liked it, but not enough to read it again. It seems to follow so many books that's I've already read. It started off like I was going to really like it. Two kids getting into trouble, finding adventure but then took this drastic turn into something that left me going back a few pages to see if I missed something. Later it seemed to mash so much into so little space. Maybe it just wasn't my type of story but the premise of it sounded great however it kind of left me feeling like I read 1984 mashed with Hitchhikers guide with a little Wolverine stuck in. That being said I think (for me at least) it has the potential to be a good read it's just missing something. The main character was someone i couldn't relate to, which is okay, I found I was drawn to the secondary characters more. They have more personality. The world buliding is great. The descriptions of planets is quite vivid. That, for me, was the best part. Again maybe, I signed on to something that was out of the norm for me and that's why I have such a hard time liking it because everyone else seems to, but i guess we can't all like the same things. ( )
  Sugar_Diva | Sep 6, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I think All Light Will Fall is one of the best book I've got from the early reviewer program on LT.
It's a page turner and a very good read.
Now, the book is not perfect (no books are). I think the main character was not really "likable" and some parts of the book were not serving the story.

Author is a very young woman and I'll definitively check her future works. ( )
  Shaika-Dzari | Aug 5, 2015 |

Long after the Trinity Wars, a world of light approaches the Earth. ARTIKA, a new-world regime in practice of mysterious sciences, discovers a staggering revelation. Where there is light, there is life. One blessed, the other cursed, war ensues between Earth and a star-traveling world—Niaysia. Corrine, curious to discover ARTIKA’s dark truths, becomes a pawn for a war between planets, an arsenal—Celeste 2102. She is thrown into a realm of death and imperceptible beauty. A dark and spiritual awakening awaits her, and on the desperate journey home, Celeste must not only battle the evils within herself, but the darkness steadily rising between Earth and a world unknown.

(retrieved from Amazon Wed, 01 Jul 2015 15:00:23 -0400)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Almney King's book All Light Will Fall was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,918,006 books! | Top bar: Always visible