A Curse of Ash and Iron

A Curse of Ash and Iron

A wonderfully original take on the classic Cinderella story, perfect for YA and adult readers. Compelling characters, a good dose of magical mystery, and enough freshness with the plot, setting and time period to completely captivate the reader.

**eARC netgalley** ( )
  Critterbee | Apr 16, 2018 |
Charming YA retelling of the Cinderella fairy tale. Good bit of steampunk-ish-ness going on but ended up being something of a story element (i.e. a “novel with steampunk elements in it” as opposed to “a steampunk novel”). The magic/magical element also feels somewhat similar - elements in a story rather than making the story magical. That aside, I found myself quite taken with the tale at the end. It’s just that my expectations at the start of what this read would entail didn’t match up with what I ended up reading. Not necessarily a bad thing, but may have miffed me if I was of the mind to be miffed - but I think I found myself quite taken with the characters in the end, so, no miffy-ness from me. ( )
  kephradyx | Jun 20, 2017 |
Read all my reviews on http://urlphantomhive.booklikes.com

Based on the cover I assumed it would be a steampunk novel, however, I didn't realise that it was a Cinderella retelling until I was halfway the book.

Benjamin Grimm reunites with his childhood friend Eleanor and find out she's been living under a spell for years, forcing her to live like a servant in her own house.

I didn't like the book, it wasn't for me. I didn't think it was steampunk, so maybe I was just disappointed and didn't like it for that reason. Also, I thought the story was very slow and even as far as retellings go not very original. The main characters acted very stupid at times and the love triangle (did I mention I hate those) felt extremely forced.

Thanks to the publisher for providing me with a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review! ( )
  Floratina | May 26, 2016 |
The magic in A Curse of Ash and Iron by Christine Norris was different and unexpected. After wading through a whole slew of subpar novels lately, this book was surprising and completely delightful, much like Bubby when she brings me a cake out of the blue! (Hint, hint)-Full review at www.bubblebath-books.com ( )
  bubblebathbooks | Jul 28, 2015 |
This is a re-telling of Cinderella, and you know how much I love a retold fairytale. This one does not disappoint. While there is no fairy godmother, Ellie does have a secret supporter, whose identity, when it is revealed, may surprise some. Her friendship with Ben is solid, even when they don’t quite understand each other. Somewhat less believable is the “insta-love” between Ellie and Hamilton. I do like that Ellie has an honest struggle to decide just who it is that she loves in the end. I think the ending will be satisfying for those of us who are tired of teenage “instant forever love” stories.

Of the two point-of-view characters, I think I might like Ben better than Ellie. I was definitely rooting for him in his various conflicts.

The author’s notes at the end show the depth of research she engaged in to bring this story to life, something I appreciate. She is good at showing, not telling, and her descriptive imagery is nice. There were a few editing errors (why does it seem that I am a better editor than those who are paid for the job?), but not enough to make me wince. Hopefully, those were cleared up before publication. I do wish the mysterious person who gave the step-mother her spells might have been explained more fully, or the why the particular things Ellie had to find to break the spell were significant.

Thank you, NetGalley, for the Advanced Reader Copy!

Possible Objectionable Material: Mild curse words, perilous situations, sneaking out at night. Ellie wears a very low-cut dress to the ball and is a little uncomfortable about it.

Who Would Like This Book: Those who like retold fairytales. People who enjoy a touch of magic. Those who like turn-of-the century machinery. Fans of light romance and adventure. Probably about ages 12 and up. ( )
  swingdancefan | Jul 14, 2015 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,797,360 books! | Top bar: Always visible