Arrr! Pirate Flag(Celebrate International Talk Like a Pirate Day) Thar be a hunt for treasure, Mateys!

The Forbidden Wish by Jessica Khoury

The Forbidden Wish (edition 2017)

by Jessica Khoury (Author)

2461971,869 (3.93)1
Member:seriesousbooks
Title:The Forbidden Wish
Authors:Jessica Khoury (Author)
Info:Razorbill (2017), Edition: Reprint, 352 pages
Rating:**
Tags:audiobook

The Forbidden Wish by Jessica Khoury

The Amulet of Samarkand by Jonathan Stroud (gryphonous)
    gryphonous: Also explores friendship between djinn and humans, from a djinni's perspective.

I really, really wanted to love this :(

The romance is truly what killed this for me. I really didn't like it at all. I failed to see their connection at all besides the fact that Zhara can't be too far away from him because of the lamp. And Aladdin just seemed a like a super shallow guy...not the charming guy I expected.

If you love lush, descriptive prose (a la The Wrath and the Dawn) than you will no doubt adore this story.

Full Review: https://wp.me/p7hLUw-2O1
Actual Rating: 2/5 ( )
  seriesousbooks | Aug 12, 2019 |
A retelling of Aladdin from the perspective of the jinn, trapped in her bottle for hundreds of years after she was forced to betray her dear human friend by the ruler of the jinn. Now, she has one last opportunity for freedom, but only if she rescues a trapped jinn from the humans; to do so, she helps Aladdin pretend to be a prince and seek the favor of the princess. But there’s palace intrigue aplenty on the human side, and she and Aladdin are having some inconvenient feelings… Nicely done YA fantasy/romance. ( )
  rivkat | Jul 12, 2019 |
this book has a little bit of everything for everyone! loved everything about it, such a great retelling of Aladdin.

i received this book free from Goodreads! thank you! ( )
  ohkamikaze | May 6, 2019 |
I found myself consumed by the intricate world and overwhelmed by the unique plot... There is just one word to describe it and that word is magical.

It started out slow, but once Aladdin came along, the pace picked up and so did my heart beats. He was such a gorgeously flawed character. I swooned hard and fell more in love as the story progressed. If nothing else, you will love the love story. It's not exactly insta love because there is playful banter, but it's definitely a deep rooted thing that feels hundreds of year aged. It's gorgeous and tragic and just so many words wrapped into one.

I had a few minor issues with the plot, but the scenic descriptions and setting overshadowed those. The book world seriously stole my breath. I could see smoke billowing, darkness falling, and bright colors blooming. Each chapter painted a new picture on my mind and I was entranced to say the least. There were shape shifting Jinns... I mean need I say more? It was a crazy whirlwind adventure that mysteriously found a happily ever after.

I recommend it to middle eastern and retelling readers. The writing is seriously top notch. ( )
  ReadersCandyb | Apr 25, 2019 |
An excellent book. ( )
  wrightja2000 | Sep 6, 2018 |

When Aladdin discovers Zahra's jinni lamp, Zahra is thrust back onto a world she hasn't seen in hundreds of years--a world where magic is forbidden and Zahra's very existence is illegal. She must disguise herself to stay alive, using ancient shape-shifting magic, until her new master has selected his three wishes.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,096,671 books! | Top bar: Always visible