All the Birds in the Sky by Charlie Jane…

All the Birds in the Sky (edition 2016)

by Charlie Jane Anders (Author)

Member:nero64
Title:All the Birds in the Sky
Authors:Charlie Jane Anders (Author)
Info:Tor Books (2016), 317 pages

All the Birds in the Sky by Charlie Jane Anders (Author)

Sourdough by Robin Sloan (tralliott)
    A Working Theory of Love by Scott Hutchins (wandering_star)
    Postsingular by Rudy Rucker (hairball)
    hairball: All the Birds in the Sky made me think about Postsingular and Hylozoic for some reason--maybe it's the Bay Area thing, but it's also something about the attitude.

I started liking this book like a quarter in, here I try to explain my feelings: https://cafe.sunbeam.city/~/CatOnBook/all-the-birds-in-the-sky-by-charlie-jane-a... ( )
  kthxy | Jul 9, 2019 |
Cute. Reminds me of Young Wizards. ( )
  tronella | Jun 22, 2019 |
This was a really interesting book, that doesn't fit into just one category. I loved the story of Laurence and Patricia. I thought the first part of the book was really well done. I got a good sense of both characters. I enjoyed the book very much. The weakest part for me was the ending. It felt a little rushed, although it was also satisfying. Peregrine and the Tree were two minor characters, but I really enjoyed the parts of the story they were in. This book had a sense of magical wonder that I really responded to. ( )
  readingover50 | Jun 11, 2019 |
As a little girl, Patricia talks to birds. In middle school, convinced she is a witch, she attempts magic with little success. Laurence, as a little boy, ran away from home once to watch a rocket lift off. In middle school, he builds an AI in his bedroom closet. As the only two weirdos in school, they become best friends. However, there is a prophecy that they will be on opposing sides in a war of magic vs. science, and this war will lead to the destruction of the whole planet.

I absolutely loved this book. It’s dark and beautiful, and left me wondering until the end how things would shake out. All the Birds in the Sky has a similar vibe to it as The Night Circus by Erin Morgentstern (another book I love), in that these two people’s lives are completely intertwined whether they want it that way or not, and they are destined for a tragic fate. If you enjoy science fiction or magic realism or especially a world combining the two, then you will enjoy this book.
  Jessiqa | Jun 11, 2019 |
This book. I couldn't.

So the driving idea behind the plot is quite interesting: a girl who speaks to animals (fantasy) befriends a boy who builds time machines and supercomputers (science fiction). Together, they may destroy the world.

But good lord, the writing is terrible. Like, disastrous. The author also frequently veers into absurdist horror, much like Roald Dahl (horrible parents? Astonishingly abusive school? Check and check.). But Dahl makes that absurdism work, whereas Anders can't. Anders also has very specific feelings about rote memorization, and her critique comes off as preachy and over-the-top instead of sarcastically funny, which is what I assume she was aiming for.

I gave up.
1 vote miri12 | May 31, 2019 |

Anders, Charlie JaneAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hayden, Patrick NielsenEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Staehle, WillCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Weinberg, MiriamEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zeitz, SophieTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In the game of life and evolution there are three players at the table: human beings, nature, and machines. I am firmly on the side of nature. But nature, I suspect, is on the side of machines. -George Dyson, Darwin Among the Machines
To Annalee
When Patricia was six years old, she found a wounded bird.
"You never learned the secret,” said Roberta. “How to be a crazy motherfucker and get away with it. Everybody else does it. What, you didn’t think they were all sane, did you? Not a one of them. They’re all crazier than you and me put together. They just know how to fake it. You could too, but you’ve chosen to torture all of us instead. That’s the definition of evil right there: not faking it like everybody else. Because all of us crazy fuckers can’t stand it when someone else lets their crazy show. It’s like bugs under the skin. We have to destroy you. It’s nothing personal."
You know … no matter what you do, people are going to expect you to be someone you’re not. But if you’re clever and lucky and work your butt off, then you get to be surrounded by people who expect you to be the person you wish you were.
nature doesn’t ‘find ways’ to do anything. Nature has no opinion, no agenda. Nature provides a playing field, a not particularly level one, on which we compete with all creatures great and small. It’s more that nature’s playing field is full of traps.
Boredom is the mind’s scar tissue.

Patricia's a witch,
Laurence is a scientist.
The world is ending.
(rretzler)

"When Patricia Delfine was six years old, a wounded bird led her deep into the forest to the Parliament of Birds, where she met the Great Tree and was asked a question that would determine the course of her life. When Laurence Armstead was in grade school, he cobbled together a wristwatch-sized device that could send its wearer two seconds into the future. When Patricia and Laurence first met in high school, they didn't understand one another at all. But as time went on, they kept bumping into one another's lives. Now they're both grown up, and the planet is falling apart around them. Laurence is an engineering genius who's working with a group that aims to avert catastrophic breakdown through technological intervention into the changing global climate. Patricia is a graduate of Eltisley Maze, the hidden academy for the world's magically gifted, and works with a small band of other magicians to secretly repair the world's every-growing ailments. Neither Laurence nor Patricia can keep pace with the speed at which things fall apart. But something bigger than either of them, something begun deep in their childhoods, is determined to bring them together. And will"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,408,163 books! | Top bar: Always visible