All the Birds in the Sky by Charlie Jane…

All the Birds in the Sky (edition 2017)

by Charlie Jane Anders (Author)

"From the editor-in-chief of io9.com, a stunning novel about the end of the world--and the beginning of our futureChildhood friends Patricia Delfine and Laurence Armstead didn't expect to see each other again, after parting ways under mysterious circumstances during middle school. After all, the development of magical powers and the invention of a two-second time machine could hardly fail to alarm one's peers and families.But now they're both adults, living in the hipster mecca San Francisco, and the planet is falling apart around them. Laurence is an engineering genius who's working with a group that aims to avert catastrophic breakdown through technological intervention. Patricia is a graduate of Eltisley Maze, the hidden academy for the world's magically gifted, and works with a small band of other magicians to secretly repair the world's every-growing ailments. Little do they realize that something bigger than either of them, something begun years ago in their youth, is determined to bring them together to either save the world, or plunge it into a new dark ages.A deeply magical, darkly funny examination of life, love, and the apocalypse"-- "When Patricia Delfine was six years old, a wounded bird led her deep into the forest to the Parliament of Birds, where she met the Great Tree and was asked a question that would determine the course of her life. When Laurence Armstead was in grade school, he cobbled together a wristwatch-sized device that could send its wearer two seconds into the future. When Patricia and Laurence first met in high school, they didn't understand one another at all. But as time went on, they kept bumping into one another's lives. Now they're both grown up, and the planet is falling apart around them. Laurence is an engineering genius who's working with a group that aims to avert catastrophic breakdown through technological intervention into the changing global climate. Patricia is a graduate of Eltisley Maze, the hidden academy for the world's magically gifted, and works with a small band of other magicians to secretly repair the world's every-growing ailments. Neither Laurence nor Patricia can keep pace with the speed at which things fall apart. But something bigger than either of them, something begun deep in their childhoods, is determined to bring them together. And will"--… (more)
Member:TBWeber
Title:All the Birds in the Sky
Authors:Charlie Jane Anders (Author)
Info:Tor Books (2017), Edition: Reprint, 320 pages
Collections:Your library, Read but unowned

All the Birds in the Sky by Charlie Jane Anders (Author)

Sourdough by Robin Sloan (tralliott)
    A Working Theory of Love by Scott Hutchins (wandering_star)
    Postsingular by Rudy Rucker (hairball)
    hairball: All the Birds in the Sky made me think about Postsingular and Hylozoic for some reason--maybe it's the Bay Area thing, but it's also something about the attitude.

2.5 stars to be honest.

So, this book has some great basic ideas, and a very interesting first half. Its the second part that totally loses the plot.

Lawrence is a child prodigy, a scientist of unbelievable talent - think Dexter from Dexter's Laboratory, he invents a time machine watch for crying out loud! Patricia is a witch who is trying to figure out her powers.

The first part of the book follows them as children as they try to deal with bullies. My only objection to this part is that it sometimes feels like the author is trying too hard. The parents are too neglectful/idiotic, the bullies are too hostile and there is a random assassin. But overall the segment is quite enjoyable though it ends on a very random note.

The second part is strange. They are both adults, living in San Fransisco, both trying to deal with a gradually collapsing world. Here is where the author messes up. First, neither of the characters really read like adults, but more like older teenagers. Secondly, the worldbuilding slips a bit and the explanation for the wider magical society is not really adequate. Thirdly the author inexplicably totally messes up a very promising science thread from the first part causing it to underperform hilariously. Fourthly, there are random flashbacks which felt very awkwardly inserted into the text.

And the ending felt even more random, with stuff just happening.

This book had a lot of potential it did not live upto. ( )
  Andorion | Feb 6, 2021 |
Good characters. Good pace. Conceptually very interesting with a brewing war between technology and magic which mirrors the proclivities of the two main characters, Laurence and Patricia. ( )
  tsgood | Jan 5, 2021 |
It's funny to read this after hearing the author's incomparable introductions at Writers with Drinks. Like she's simply narrating alternate realities as they reveal themselves in real time. This book struck deep for me. It certainly showed me that I could never be a Trickster magician, gaah. I was explaining things to the characters out loud at some length but did they listen? Oh no. I didn't want it to end yet I more than half hope that we never return to this world, let it stand. Maybe brief visits. ( )
  tatere | Dec 30, 2020 |
Two children meet. Both are socially awkward with completely disconnected parents. One is connected to nature, one to technology. In the book we jump between the two from pre-school age to 20s (I guess, maybe 30s). In the background is the slow but steady collapse of human civilizaiton due to climate change.

I believe this is a story about how multi faceted the world is and how there is both a technological and a natural side to human development but I am not sure. If anything, the book leaves me not sure of much. It is not the role of a book to present all the answers but in this case I am not even sure about the questions.

As a Science Fiction building story it is interesting. There is magic. There are giant leaps in technological inventions. What could happen if they met and tried to combine those things? ( )
1 vote bratell | Dec 25, 2020 |
All the Birds in the Sky by Charlie Jane Anders is one of the most unique and interesting books I have read in awhile. It blends science fiction and fantasy, as its two protagonists are a witch and a scientist. The two meet in elementary school and become fast friends, as they are both outsiders shunned by the other kids. Patricia has recently learned she can speak with animals, while Laurence is working on creating artificial intelligence with scrap computers. The struggles of elementary school lead to the two splitting, and they eventually go to separate schools, a school of magic for Patricia, and a disciplinary military academy for Laurence. Many years later they meet again by chance. Laurence is now researching wormholes that can transport people off the climate change ravaged Earth. Patricia works for an organization of witches looking for their own solution for the failing planet. Laurence and Patricia find themselves in conflict over their different survival plans, while also falling in love.

I loved this book; one of the best I’ve read this year so far. All the Birds has been nominated for a Hugo and it absolutely deserves it. My interpretation of the story is that it is about communication. Most of the novel’s conflicts arise because the characters do not speak to each other honestly about their thoughts and feelings and plans. Granted, they both have suffered emotional traumas that make it hard to trust others, but at one point I found these two so frustrating, that I had to put the book down for a couple days. All relationships require good communication, so intentions do not get misconstrued and disagreements do not threaten to tear people apart. It is something that I struggle with myself.

Full disclosure, I listened to the audio book version, but I still consider that reading. The performance was very well done, and the reader makes efforts to differentiate the characters, rather than simple read aloud.I particularly enjoyed watching the romance blossom between Laurence and Patricia, which may be why I would get so angry with them when they start screwing it up. I’m a little embarrassed to say, but there is a sex scene that I also found really steamy and incredibly intimate.

Another idea that crossed my mind towards the end of the novel is the solution is not either magic or science, but a kind of blending of the two. No one has all the answers, but together we may find compromise and a path forward ( )
  JeremyReads | Dec 22, 2020 |

Anders, Charlie JaneAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hayden, Patrick NielsenEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Staehle, WillCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Weinberg, MiriamEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zeitz, SophieTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In the game of life and evolution there are three players at the table: human beings, nature, and machines. I am firmly on the side of nature. But nature, I suspect, is on the side of machines. -George Dyson, Darwin Among the Machines
To Annalee
When Patricia was six years old, she found a wounded bird.
"You never learned the secret,” said Roberta. “How to be a crazy motherfucker and get away with it. Everybody else does it. What, you didn’t think they were all sane, did you? Not a one of them. They’re all crazier than you and me put together. They just know how to fake it. You could too, but you’ve chosen to torture all of us instead. That’s the definition of evil right there: not faking it like everybody else. Because all of us crazy fuckers can’t stand it when someone else lets their crazy show. It’s like bugs under the skin. We have to destroy you. It’s nothing personal."
You know … no matter what you do, people are going to expect you to be someone you’re not. But if you’re clever and lucky and work your butt off, then you get to be surrounded by people who expect you to be the person you wish you were.
nature doesn’t ‘find ways’ to do anything. Nature has no opinion, no agenda. Nature provides a playing field, a not particularly level one, on which we compete with all creatures great and small. It’s more that nature’s playing field is full of traps.
Boredom is the mind’s scar tissue.

Patricia's a witch,
Laurence is a scientist.
The world is ending.
(rretzler)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 155,589,391 books! | Top bar: Always visible