Praying the Bible by (Professor) Donald S.…

Praying the Bible (edition 2015)

by (Professor) Donald S. Whitney

All Christians know they should pray, but sometimes it's hard to know how-especially if the minutes start to drag and our minds start to wander. Offering readers hope, encouragement, and the practical advice they're looking for, this concise book by professor Donald Whitney outlines a simple, time-tested method that can help transform our prayer lives: praying the words of the Bible. Praying the Bible shows readers how to pray through portions of Scripture one line at a time, helping us stay focused by allowing God's Word itself to direct our thoughts and words. Simple yet profound, this resource will prove invaluable to all Christians as they seek to commune with their heavenly Father in prayer each and every day.… (more)
Member:JCowan575
Title:Praying the Bible
Authors:(Professor) Donald S. Whitney
Info:Wheaton, Illinois : Crossway, [2015]

Work Information

Praying the Bible by Donald S. Whitney

This is a difficult book to review. On one hand, the topic is important and covered well. On the other hand, there's not much to say past a few chapters. This really could book a book pamphlet rather than a book just over 100 pages. That isn't a slight against the author either.

Whitney lays out the issue - you seem to pray the same thing over and over and then it becomes a routine rather than a relationship. Check. He then lays out the thing to do - pray the Bible and a good place to start is Psalms. The most important part is whether one should be concerned about taking the verses out of the context if you're praying. The nuance covered here is the most important after the "pray the Bible" party and his answer makes logical and practical sense. The answer is pretty much, don't worry about it too much. You don't want to pray heresy or just go in wildly but the goal is to get out of the rut of boring prayers and being inspired by the text to prayer is exactly the goal.

From there, he spends a couple of chapters going through examples of praying the Psalms and other parts of the Scripture. This is really just a review of what he's already done and made his point well enough in the preceding chapters. Finally, there are a few review and example chapters that seem superfluous.

So, overall it is a good book and really straightforward. However, if it is so straightforward that it's not worth the book format unless you really need to be walked through the process. It's a hard review for sure. If this review didn't provide you with enough details then pick up the book. If not, go do it. It really helps and makes a lot of sense. Final Grade - C ( )
  agentx216 | Aug 1, 2022 |
“Praying through a passage of scripture—especially a psalm—tends to be a more God-centered way of praying. People report they find themselves praising God more than usual. Instead of prayer being mostly a time of saying, in effect, "Lord, here I am again with my usual list of the things I want you to do for me," it becomes more about God—his attributes, his ways, and his will.”
Donald Whitney

"Praying the Word means reading (or reciting) Scripture in a spirit of prayer and letting the meaning of the verses become our prayer and inspire our thoughts."
John Piper ( )
  moab222 | Sep 11, 2020 |
This book is very short, but very worthwhile. It has one simple aim - to encourage the reader pray through scripture every day. It's written in a very conversational and accessible manner. It gives you a worthy but reachable objective, and holds your hand just enough that you feel supported, but not so much that you feel patronised. Highly recommended. ( )
  mark_read | Aug 13, 2020 |
This was a book that offered encouragement and help in making one's prayer life more meaningful. I LOVE praying scripture, and this author did a great job of helping folks see how to do this and the benefits of doing it. Very practical. I highly recommend this book; it won't take you long to read it and hopefully it will bring a whole new meaning to your prayer time. ( )
  judyg54 | Apr 24, 2020 |
This is an excellent book to energize your prayer life. The author contends that we don't pray as much as we should because "we tend to say the same old things about the same old things." His solution is to pray through the Bible - especially the Psalms. He explains well and simply how to pray in this way. The book is a quick read, but life changing. I am going to try to pray this way from now on. ( )
  galoma | Nov 20, 2017 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 180,143,568 books! | Top bar: Always visible