The Forgetting Time: A Novel by Sharon…

The Forgetting Time: A Novel (original 2015; edition 2016)

by Sharon Guskin (Author)

"Noah wants to go home. A seemingly easy request from most four year olds. But as Noah's single-mother, Janie, knows, nothing with Noah is ever easy. One day the pre-school office calls and says Janie needs to come in to talk about Noah, and no, not later, now - and life as she knows it stops. For Jerome Anderson, life as he knows it has stopped. A deadly diagnosis has made him realize he is approaching the end of his life. His first thought - I'm not finished yet. Once a shining young star in academia, a graduate of Yale and Harvard, a professor of psychology, he threw it all away because of an obsession. Anderson became the laughing stock of his peers, but he didn't care - something had to be going on beyond what anyone could see or comprehend. He spent his life searching for that something else. And with Noah, he thinks he's found it. Soon Noah, Janie and Anderson will find themselves knocking on the door of a mother whose son has been missing for eight years - and when that door opens, all of their questions will be answered. Sharon Guskin has written a captivating, thought-provoking novel that explores what we regret in the end of our lives and hope for in the beginning, and everything in between. In equal parts a mystery and a testament to the profound connection between a child and parent, THE FORGETTING TIME marks the debut of a major new talent"--… (more)
Member:lscherr77
Title:The Forgetting Time: A Novel
Authors:Sharon Guskin (Author)
Info:Flatiron Books (2016), 368 pages
Rating:***1/2

Work Information

The Forgetting Time: A Novel by Sharon Guskin (2015)

English (33)  Italian (2)  Spanish (1)  All languages (36)
Wonderful. I resented having to put it down to go to work and couldn't wait to get home to pick it back up again. It's been a long time since a book held my attention like this. ( )
  Barbwire101 | May 19, 2021 |
The Forgetting Time delves into the issue that is reincarnation. Focusing on many different characters, we get to see how these memories from one of the character's past life affect everyone around them and keeps you questioning if you, yourself, believe in rebirth. This book was definitely a page turner for me. I recall crying due to some things that happened in the book - especially that ending - and laughing because Noah was the cutest at times. Going into this book, I did not know what I was expecting, but it was a very enjoyable read and I would for sure re-read it sometime soon. ( )
  SofiaReis | Feb 10, 2021 |
A very different type of novel than I normally read, but was very pleasantly surprised. I really liked the structure - back and forth between the doctor's story and the mother/son story. It's fast-paced and engrossing. To give more credence to the premise, the novel is interspersed with documented cases. It's a really enjoyable book. The only caveat is when the story ends and when the novel ends. Ugh.. reminded me of the few Dan Brown books - just END IT! I skimmed the last 30 - 40 pages as the story was finished and dragging it out really didn't add anything. I think she should have skipped all of the stuff at the end and just ended the book with the last chapter - 2 years later.

Still, if you're looking for something different - I'd recommend trying this one. ( )
  3CatMom | Dec 28, 2020 |
The blurbist on the front of this book is Jodi Picoult, so that was promising. And in Picoult fashion, the author has found a fascinating topic to weave a tale around: childhood memories of previous lifetimes. She even includes excerpts from a nonfiction study on the subject alternated with her fictional characters. Just learning about the existence of this subject made reading the book worthwhile. Janie Zimmerman is a single mom of Noah, who is a difficult child to say the least. At four, he is recalcitrant, has night terrors, an irrational fear of water (and bathing) and a precociousness that makes it hard for him to fit in socially with his peers. He is dismissed from multiple daycares and preschools and scares off scores of nannies and now various mental health professionals, and Janie, who runs her own remodeling firm in Brooklyn is at the end of her rope. Noah's typical lament is that he wants to "go home" and he wants "his mama", despite Janie's reassurances that she is his mother and 99% of the time they are home because he is so difficult to take out in public. Nothing soothes him (except TV). While online researching an anti-psychotic drug prescribed for Noah she stumbles upon the work of Dr. Jerome Anderson who has devoted his life's work to investigating children's former lives. This is really a thing and for some reason (cultural, mainly) is predominant in Sri Lanka, Thailand, and India, ("In India, they understood that life unfolded the way it unfolded, whether you liked it or not...One life ended, a new one began, maybe it was better than the last one, maybe it wasn't...they accepted this the way they accepted the monsoons or the heat, with a resignation that was like simple good sense.") with a few isolated cases in America. ("Americans couldn't help but cling tightly to the life they were living like clutching a spindly branch that was sure to break...") First Janie has to wrap her head around this concept, then she has to trust Dr. Anderson that pursuing this will actually help Noah. An interesting contrast is that Anderson is suffering from terminal aphasia, so while his work is uncovering and delving into Noah's memory, he is methodically losing his own. From Janie's point of view "memory can be a curse." but for Anderson it is grace. How Noah and Janie's lives collide with the family Noah claims to remember and belong to is another interesting twist and leap of faith. Despite this wealth of material, the writing was a bit clunky and didn't always ring true, and the characters trended toward one-dimensional, so really this was more of a 2.5. ( )
  CarrieWuj | Oct 24, 2020 |
Noah is four years old. He knows things he shouldn't. He also remembers being a nine year old boy called Tommy and wants to go home.

This book was a pleasant surprise. From the cover I wouldn't have picked it up but had it picked for me by the library staff with their new way of operating at the moment.

I really enjoyed this story. The book was easy to read and straight away I was invested in the story of Noah and Tommy. The story had a bit of everything from a mother's love for child, a mystery to solve and a delve into the paranormal and reincarnation.

This book for me was fresh and unique in many ways and I really enjoyed it. ( )
  tina1969 | Jul 23, 2020 |
For Doug, Eli, and Ben
On the eve of her thirty-ninth birthday, on the bleakest day of the worst February in memory, Janie made what would turn out to be the pivotal decision of her life: she decided to take a vacation.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,241,527 books! | Top bar: Always visible