Manga Classics: Emma by Jane Austen

by Crystal Chan

Other authors: Po Tse (Illustrator)

Series: Manga Classics

A manga adaptation of the classic literary novel by Jane Austen about a well-meaning, but bumbling young matchmaker.

English (11)  Danish (1)  All languages (12)
I received an ARC for this book from UDON through Netgalley.

I rather enjoyed this rendition of Jane Austen's Emma. (Something I never thought I would ever say or write, I have a love/hate relationship with the original work.)

The mangaka and writer beautifully adapted the story, staying very close to the original. A lot of parts are skimmed over or shortened (which is unavoidable), but they managed to let a lot of the subtext come through in the details of the drawings. I guess the old addage is proven right once again, a picture can say a thousand words...
It's a great introduction to the classic work of literature.

I'm looking forward to read the other Classics adaptations. ( )
  HeyMimi | Dec 28, 2020 |
Read all my reviews on http://urlphantomhive.booklikes.com

I was delighted to see there was a new Manga Classic on Netgalley, after I read several others already (Les Miserables, The Scarlet Letter and Pride & Prejudice). I'd never read the original Emma so I didn't know what the story was going to be about and I can't judge if the manga represents the story well.

Overall, it was a very fast and light read that did remind me of Pride & Prejudice. It's not completely my cup of tea, but since it's such an easy read this didn't bother me. I liked it just as I liked the other Manga Classics, and like with the others, I wanted to read the original work afterwards. I know I've said it before, but these books are a great way to introduce people to classics they may otherwise have not read.

Although the style and story worked together well during the biggest part of the book, there were some instances where there was an info dump in a few pages that were basically just an exposition text.

Thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for providing me with a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review! ( )
  Floratina | Dec 7, 2019 |
I adore Jane Austen and her heroines. Emma, originally irritating yet loveable, turns rather unlikeable and less clever in this version.

The general themes of the original were there, but the characters seemed flat. Instead of allowing the art to further the plot, thought bubbles spoon feed the reader.

Emma seems more suited to manga-fication than many other classics, however I was disappointed in this version.

Younger readers may enjoy this as an easy to understand introduction to Emma.

**eARC netgalley** ( )
  Critterbee | Apr 16, 2018 |
I received a copy of this book from Netgalley and Undon Entertainment in exchange for a fair and honest review. Thank you!

This is the second Manga Classics I read so far. The art work is well drawn and the symbolism in some of the panels are well thought out. The narrative of Emma doesn’t really grab me and I don’t think I would have read the book at all only it was in Manga. ( )
  Arkrayder | Dec 11, 2017 |
After being delighted by Manga Classics: Pride & Prejudice, I was highly anticipating this title, with *fingers-crossed-they'll-do-other-Austen-works-too*. Thankfully, this version of Emma does not disappoint!

The illustrations are well done and very cute. They really flow with the storyline and bring Emma to life. The adaptation also follows the original novel faithfully, making it just as enjoyable as reliving the book by watching one of the film/television versions. If you're a manga fan looking to get your feet wet in Austenland, I highly recommend this one! If you're an Austen fan already, this makes a great gift or addition to your collection. I really, really liked Marvel's Emma, but as I'm biased towards manga/anime, I love this edition!

All-in-all lots of fun! I can't wait to see which classic UDON Entertainment and Morpheus Publishing will release next. I'd like to see more Charles Dicken's, some Thomas Hardy, maybe Frances Hodgson Burnett? Happy 200th anniversary Emma!
  vonze | Sep 19, 2017 |

19TH CENTURY
A CHURCH IN HIGHBURY, ENGLAND
THE WEDDING OF MR. WESTON AND MISS TAYLOR

Poor Miss Taylor!

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,140,791 books! | Top bar: Always visible