The Smell of Other People's Houses by…

The Smell of Other People's Houses (original 2016; edition 2017)

by Bonnie-Sue Hitchcock (Author)

"Growing up in Alaska in the 1970s isn't like growing up anywhere else: Don't think life is going to be easy. Know your place. And never talk about yourself. Four vivid voices tell intertwining stories of hardship, tragedy, wild luck, and salvation"--
Member:Shareuv
Title:The Smell of Other People's Houses
Authors:Bonnie-Sue Hitchcock (Author)
Info:Ember (2017), Edition: Reprint, 240 pages

The Smell of Other People's Houses by Bonnie-Sue Hitchcock (2016)

English (27)  German (1)  All languages (28)
Beautiful and heartbreaking, this book has to be hands down one of the best I’ve read this year. I’ve heard so many good things and I’m happy that I finally finished it. It took me a little longer than usual because at some points I just had to set it down and really let the events sink and then continue on. I’d recommend it to anyone who wants a deep and heartfelt story. ( )
  AshleyReadsss | Jun 23, 2020 |
I really, really enjoyed this! The setting was very unique: I sure have never read anything set in Alaska, let alone in 1970, and I don't think this will happen again anytime soon. I love multiple perspective stories, and parallel stories that start to intermingle the longer everything goes on. I also cried in pretty much every single chapter, which again proves just how good this was. ( )
  j_tuffi | May 30, 2020 |
In Alaska, 1970, being a teenager here isn’t like being a teenager anywhere else. Ruth has a secret that she can’t hide forever. Dora wonders if she can ever truly escape where she comes from, even when good luck strikes. Alyce is trying to reconcile her desire to dance, with the life she’s always known on her family’s fishing boat. Hank and his brothers decide it’s safer to run away than to stay home—until one of them ends up in terrible danger. ( )
  AccyP | Jan 18, 2020 |
“Sometimes you can be inserted into another person's life just by witnessing something you were never really supposed to be a part of.”
The Smell of Other People’s Houses is such a painfully open story that I feel like I can’t even critique it, I just have let it into my heart to shape and change me - making me a better person for having read it. I was either on the verge of tears or surrounded by this familiar warmth. Set against 1970s Alaska, this story comes to life in the quiet and honest moments in four teens lives. In how they interact with each other, their town, and their truths. There was such an earnestness and groundedness to the story that gave this heavy weight that was both comforting and oppressing. It made everything feel so much bigger and impactful, but never manipulative or forced.

Some of the characters kinda blended together in the beginning of the story. It really wasn’t a big issue, because after a few chapters the characters become more clearly distinct. And the audiobook had a full cast so that was helpful as well. The Smell of Other People’s Houses is a true slice-of-life story. I wouldn’t really say there’s a plot, but it’s a truly wonderful example of a character driven story that is both raw and realistic. A true highlight of the year.
  LifeofaLiteraryNerd | Oct 9, 2019 |
I was not really sure what I was in for when I started The Smell of Other People’s Houses. I have heard that it was a one of those books that will be your favorite without you even knowing it. I definitely get that thinking.

This story follows four different teens: Ruth, Dora, Alyce, and Hank. When this started it was almost like four separate stories. However; the stories all come together in the end. I did like some of the characters more than others. Some of the stories dragged on and I was ready for them to move on.

Overall, this was pretty good. It did not blow me away as I was expecting it too. ( )
  SimplyKelina | Nov 2, 2018 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,829,177 books! | Top bar: Always visible