Spark Joy: An Illustrated Master Class on the Art of Organizing and…

by Marie Kondo

Other authors: Masako Inoue (Illustrator)

"Tidying expert Marie Kondo's follow-up to her best-selling book, The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up, is an illustrated master manual on her renowned KonMari Method with item-specific guidance and step-by-step folding illustrations"--Provided by publisher.
    The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up: The Japanese Art of Decluttering and Organizing by Marie Kondo (Carole888)
    Carole888: It is the companion read to the Kondo's other and both go together well. An interesting and refreshing read!

English (49)  Spanish (2)  Catalan (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (53)
I should not have listened to an audiobook that has "illustrated" in the title. Although this did go more into some of the order and systems involved in the konmari method, it wasn't as useful as if I'd given it the time to go through a physical copy (ironically enough). ( )
  adamfortuna | May 28, 2021 |
I find Kondo's writing style in this to be very charming and personable, which makes it a little harder to judge this book over her last one. It is basically a rehash of her previous book but with illustrations and more practical storage advice. I don't recommend starting with this one first though because she doesn't go as deep into her tidying philosophy and although I was pretty skeptical when I finished her original book, I found that her ideas really worked for me. My advice would be to read her previous book, try to do it almost exactly like she suggests (especially the part about going by category instead of by room), and then if you're into it, come to this one for some more specific tips. ( )
  jobinsonlis | May 11, 2021 |
Marie Kondo is still wearing the crazy pants as they clearly spark joy.

While this book is not meant to be humorous, there were many passages that made me laugh out loud, like the one with her loving and cheerful ode to her screwdriver.

Still between the wackiness there are things that make sense, and as in the first book, there are bits that inspire my goal to get rid of extra stuff. ( )
  curious_squid | Apr 5, 2021 |
This was a second book from the same author that I read few weeks ago. That one was more about the idea behind the system, while this gave more practical advice. I just have to say: I'm a fan. I've started tidying already :) And it works!

I read some of the reviews now for this book and the earlier one and there seems to be quite a lot of people who criticize the way you're supposed to talk to your possessions and that the storing them in certain ways makes them unhappy. I can understand why this feels strange, but I also think that the idea is more to be grateful for the things you have and appreciate them and store them so, that they stay better for longer and also that you feel you appreciate them. But to each to their own, I loved the book and the system and I am convinced it works in my life :) ( )
  RankkaApina | Feb 22, 2021 |
If you are a Marie Kondo acolyte, this book ramps up the pace several notches. I am now deeply inspired to reconfigure the spaces within my storage spaces, especially in my kitchen and bedroom dresser. Also, Kondo's point about the books is a great challenge for an English major who has hung on to so many books and needs to start letting only those that spark joy remain in the house. ( )
  DrFuriosa | Dec 4, 2020 |
....Once you’re living joyously with all your possessions joyously stored away joyously, you are free to move on to the most advanced joyous level of joyous tidying. See that lump sitting in the armchair watching the football when you want to watch Making a Murderer? Ask yourself this: which gives me more joy? The lump or the empty chair? So ditch him.
added by eclecticdodo | editThe Guardian, John Crace (Jan 17, 2016)

Marie Kondoprimary authorall editionscalculated
Inoue, MasakoIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hirano, CathyTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
After discarding a hammer because the handle was worn out, I used my frying pan to pound in any nails.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,629,714 books! | Top bar: Always visible