Reclaiming Conversation: The Power of Talk…

Reclaiming Conversation: The Power of Talk in a Digital Age by Sherry… (edition 1712)

by Sherry Turkle (Author)

Member:RebopQ
Title:Reclaiming Conversation: The Power of Talk in a Digital Age by Sherry Turkle (2015-10-08)
Authors:Sherry Turkle (Author)
Info:Berkley Publishing Corporation,U.S. (1712)
Collections:Print, Read but unowned
Tags:Non-Fiction, Communication

Reclaiming Conversation: The Power of Talk in a Digital Age by Sherry Turkle

English (7)  Spanish (1)  All languages (8)
Very well written. Eye opening view of how we converse (or not) with each physically and with technology. How we have all changed and are still changing. Somewhat gloomy view of where we have gotten with our lives/technology, but knowledge is power. And this book will help you think. ( )
  deldevries | Apr 10, 2019 |
Although I'm generally in Turkle's camp—I had a pre-computer childhood, and I'm thankful for it—there's an unrelenting alarmist tone to "Reclaiming Conversation" that does her argument no service. This is a book made up of anecdotes, all about something that we have lost, or are in danger of losing, with only the rare rhetorical nod to the benefits that the mixed blessing of digital connection brings. A book titled "Reclaiming Conversation" should spend at least half its pages discussing the positive steps that the title hints at.

To be sure, the withering of real human connection that often accompanies our universal digital addiction is alarming. (I was especially aghast to consider how babies and toddlers whose parents' faces are turned too often to their phones instead of to their children may grow up with developmental and personality disorders due to insufficient "face time.") But sometimes Turkle doesn't give due consideration to the opposing side. That "woman in her thirties" on page 29 who talks about the advantages of arguing with her partner online has a point, I think: "We get our ideas out in a cooler way. We can fight without saying things we'll regret." I wouldn't be so quick to assume this is another example of "the move from conversation to mere connection." ( )
  john.cooper | Sep 26, 2018 |
A lot of really great food for thought in this book. I would recommend it for everyone who feels that there relationship with technology generally, and their phone's in particular could do with a re-balancing. ( )
  NicolaCT | Jan 2, 2017 |
This is a thought-provoking book. It is also sad. The path humanity is pursuing will stamp out what it means to be human. The real world and meaningful interaction are being blocked out and that diminishes our humanity. People are increasingly not relating to each other in a "here and now" "this is real life and it is sometimes messy" way.....they are presenting carefully constructed positive posts on social media. Choosing to interact primarily by texting or email erodes our ability to meaningfully relate to others, encourages us to present a false "best self," encourages us to not feel our feelings, and pins our self worth (especially those who grew up using screens from a very young age) on how many "likes" or responses each post receives. Sherry Turkle offers dozens of examples that validate her argument that we must reclaim conversation to reclaim our humanity. Turkle has spent decades studying the psychology of people's relationships with technology. I was deeply saddened to learn how adolescents experience the world through carefully editing their texts and emails and how socially isolated they are since a screen and false self is always between them and others. Who need 1984 and the thought police? The digital age is impoverishing our feelings, thinking, and imaginations. ( )
  jaylcee | Jun 12, 2016 |
The need to lay down devices and focus on social interaction, to preserve empathy and solitude. Heard on "Science Friday," Oct. 9, 2015. ( )
  clifforddham | Oct 9, 2015 |

"Renowned media scholar Sherry Turkle investigates how a flight from conversation undermines our relationships, creativity, and productivity--and why reclaiming face-to-face conversation can help us regain lost ground,"--Amazon.com.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,423,622 books! | Top bar: Always visible