Lockwood & Co.: The Hollow Boy (Lockwood &…

Lockwood & Co.: The Hollow Boy (Lockwood & Co., 3) (edition 2016)

by Jonathan Stroud (Author)

Series: Lockwood & Co (3)

Fantasy. Juvenile Fiction. Juvenile Literature. HTML:As a massive outbreak of supernatural Visitors baffles Scotland Yard and causes protests throughout London, Lockwood & Co. continue to demonstrate their effectiveness in exterminating spirits. Anthony Lockwood is dashing, George insightful, and Lucy dynamic, while the skull in the jar utters sardonic advice from the sidelines. There is a new spirit of openness in the team now that Lockwood has shared some of his childhood secrets, and Lucy is feeling more and more as if her true home is at Portland Row. It comes as a great shock, then, when Lockwood and George introduce her to an annoyingly perky and hyper-efficient new assistant, Holly Munro.
Meanwhile, there are reports of many new hauntings, including a house where bloody footprints are appearing, and a department store full of strange sounds and shadowy figures. But ghosts seem to be the least of Lockwood & Co.'s concerns when assassins attack during a carnival in the center of the city. Can the team get past their personal issues to save the day on all fronts, or will bad feelings attract yet more trouble?
Danger abounds, tensions escalate, and new loyalties form in this third delightfully terrifying adventure in the critically acclaimed Lockwood & Co. series.
… (more)
Member:wws_library
Title:Lockwood & Co.: The Hollow Boy (Lockwood & Co., 3)
Authors:Jonathan Stroud (Author)
Info:Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (2016), Edition: Reprint, 416 pages
Collections:Fiction - LS, Your library

Work Information

The Hollow Boy by Jonathan Stroud (Author)

English (26)  Italian (1)  All languages (27)
The three agents of Lockwood & Co., Anthony, George and Lucy, are finally working in sync while dealing with London's ghost problem. However, as the team has gained traction, they have had a much bigger workload and Anthony decides to bring on a fourth team member. Holly Munro has been brought on mostly to take care of administrative tasks, but is not without talent herself. Lucy is immediately put off by Holly's apparent perfection as well as Anthony and George's admiration for her. While working a prominent case, Lucy's listening talent got her in trouble and Holly saved her. This case finally gives Lockwood & Co. an invite to help fight the very large Chelsea outbreak. George quickly figures out the actual center of the outbreak and Lockwood and Co. along with some help from Quill Kipps' team take on the dangerous case of the Chelsea outbreak.

The Hollow Boy is the third book in the Lockwood & Co. series and I highly recommend reading these in order. With Lockwood and & Co. finally running efficiently, a new member is thrown into the works. Holly's presence seems to be a positive force for both Anthony and George, but Holly and Lucy are uneasy with one another. While I wish there was a better feeling of women supporting women, I understood Lucy's feelings of being replaced and how Holly's strengths seemed to enhance Lucy's weaknesses. Lockwood seems to understand that Holly and Lucy are complementary to one another, but doesn't bother telling either of them this information. Even with Holly's presence, Lucy's talent for listening to ghosts is gaining strength. Lucy is realizing that fighting all ghosts off with weapons and harmful materials might not be the best way, lending a listening ear and trying to help with their need might be a way to keep everyone safe. With the introduction of a different and powerful type of ghost, a Fetch, Lucy learns yet another facet of the ghost's abilities. I was glad to see the talking skull as a larger presence as well as a sarcastic yet insightful source. With Lucy making a life changing decision at the end, I can't wait to jump into the next book. ( )
  Mishker | Aug 22, 2023 |
This was the story I was wanting to read! If you've watched the Netflix series, this book takes up directly after that ends which is what I was looking for. In this story, Lucy has been with the Lockwood & Co. agency for quite a bit of time and they have worked into a routine. The Problem is steadily getting worse so despite the "adult agencies" getting all the glory and word of mouth, Lockwood & Co. continues to be extremely busy, albeit with the lesser hauntings. They are so busy that many of the mundane day to day tasks (such as cleaning) have fallen by the wayside. This leads Lockwood to take on a new staff member, much to Lucy's chagrin.

I continue to enjoy the interpersonal relationships between the characters. Lucy's talent continues to grow, although her control seems to not be growing along with it. This leads to some discord and the ultimate ending of this book (no spoilers). This volume also has some great action scenes and spooky scenes. I really liked this volume and hopped right into the next which I am enjoying as well. ( )
  Jenson_AKA_DL | Apr 10, 2023 |
I hated the whole "girl characters cannot get along and must compete with each other, there can be only one" thing going on for the majority of this one, but it was still a very exciting (and funny) adventure. Some of the overarching mysteries are becoming obvious and I do hope our heroes catch on soon, before it becomes boring. ( )
  bibliovermis | Mar 13, 2023 |
I love love love this series. The third, like the others, is deliciously creepy balanced with a lot of witty banter. Perfect! ( )
  kamlibrarian | Dec 23, 2022 |
If I were rating the last 20% of the book, I would give it 4 or 5 stars, but the bulk of it was not as enjoyable.
Most of it was pretty painful, with Lucy and Lockwood at their worst—Lucy with her insecurities and stubbornness and Lockwood with his inscrutability and selective cluelessness. The result was a lot less humor than usual, and drawn-out tension with a new character that didn't need to take up so much of the book. If it weren't for George, the skull, and Flo Bones, there would have been no humor at all until the end.
Once all the relationship stuff came to a head, things got better, and the writing was, once again, entertaining. It just took too long to get there.
I could see what Stroud was doing with Lucy's narration, and even with Lockwood's behavior, but it doesn't mean it was fun to read (or listen to, in my case).
The reader of the audiobook, Emily Bevan, did a nice job, especially with Lucy's accent, which I thought sounded appropriately less posh than the others'.
The rally at the end was enough to give me hope that the next book will be better, and I'll be sticking around for more. ( )
  Harks | Dec 17, 2022 |

Stroud, JonathanAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Jansson, CarinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jung, GeraldTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Orgaß, KatharinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I think it as only at the very end of the Lavender Lodge job, when we were fighting for our lives in that unholy guesthouse, that I glimpsed Lockwood & Co. working together perfectly for the first time.

Can Lockwood & Co.
find the Source of a major
ghost outbreak in town?
(passion4reading)

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 206,973,984 books! | Top bar: Always visible