The Sweet Dreams Bake Shop

by J A Whiting

Series: Sweet Cove Mystery (1)

Angie Roseland runs the Sweet Dreams Bake Shop in the seacoast town of Sweet Cove, Massachusetts. The building's new owners are not renewing the bake shop's lease, and Angie is running out of time to find a new location. When one of the town's longtime residents is murdered, Angie finds herself on the suspect list. With the help of her three sisters and a huge orange cat, Angie works to uncover the killer's identity.… (more)

Bereft of the silliness so often found in this cozy genre — and suggested by the cover — I found this to be a pleasant and very readable first entry in this series. I had picked this up quite some time ago, along with a later entry, and after finishing this one, I’m certain that the next time I want to read something light and friendly between more substantive reads, I’ll check out the other one I own.

Angie Roseland owns the Sweet Dreams Bake Shop in Sweet Cove, Massachusetts. Due to the building she’s been working out of being restructured, she’s about to be out on her ear, with no other place in the small town good for relocating. Because this is the first book in the series, we get to know a few of Angie’s regular customers, and some of the Sweet Cove residents who will most likely be ongoing characters in the series. These include a real estate gossip named Betty Hayes, Angie’s sixty-something employee Lisa, somewhat shifty attorney Jack Ford, the Williams brothers, who are the reason Angie’s shop is in limbo, Professor Linden, and Euclid, the professor’s orange and white cat who might be a little more…

When the professor drops dead, and it is discovered she was poisoned, it appears as though someone at the bake shop did it, casting suspicion on several people. But when it is learned that the professor left Angie her Victorian mansion, plus seventy-five grand for renovations, that dream come true for Angie and her three sisters points the finger of suspicion directly at Angie. Why does the attorney act so odd, and why does Angie like Josh Williams so much, while his brother seems to be anything but friendly? Not to worry, this is a very light cozy, so nothing too bad is going to happen to Angie or her sisters, and the murder is certain to be resolved somehow.

Angie’s sisters were fairly well defined in this; Courtney, Ellie and Jenna of varying ages and interests. Inheriting the Victorian in Sweet Cove so that they could all live together, while not getting in each other’s way, not to mention making a place for the Sweet Dreams Bake Shop to relocate, is a nice touch which promises to play out in future stories. There is a very soft — almost gossamer — paranormal element as Angie gradually realizes she has a heightened awareness about matters at hand, especially when she is near the Point, where her grandmother lived. By the end, the younger sister, Courtney, informs them that she has always been aware of it, having spoken to their nana about it. This was handled in a low-key way, and didn’t become silly or weird. In fact it is just another somewhat charming element to a nice cozy.

While the light mystery of who murdered the professor is solved, it is obvious more things will be revealed gradually as the series goes forward. Even the stuff with Euclid, who seems to know more than any cat should know, is handled nicely, suggesting this may have something to do with the sisters’ — though not all of them are aware of it yet — special intuition. In Angie’s case, that intuition, along with Euclid, saves her from joining the professor.

A breezy pace and a warmth far too many cozies are missing, make this one rank high for me, even if the mystery portion is very light indeed. This one was novella length, so I’ll have to see if the longer entries which follow it feel padded, but after reading this one, it will almost certainly be my next read when I’m in the mood for something of this nature. A warm and utterly charming light cozy highly recommended for fans of the genre. ( )
  Matt_Ransom | Oct 6, 2023 |
My mood continues to be with cozy-mysteries, and as I have a couple of them at the Kindle app. I decided to read The Sweet Dreams Bake Shop. I bought got for free through the e-book deals. I am happy that the Sweet Cove Mystery series (17 more books) are part of the Kindle Unlimited program, and that means I can continue with the series.
Angie and her sisters are a sweet bunch, and they are fantastic sleuths. The thing that disturbs me a little bit is that the police weren't involved so much with the professor's murder. During the series, we might have two couples, the beginning of the romantic starts in The Sweet Dreams Bake Shop.
I am also happy for the recipes; they look delicious, mouth-water, and look very easy.
Even though I found the who dun it, I didn't know how the murder committed. The cat, Euclid, is adorable, a good detective, and very helpful to the sisters.
If you like a fast read, a cute cozy mystery with recipes this book, and series is for you ( )
  AvigailRGRIL | Nov 3, 2020 |
fun and quick read ( )
  Grandy | Aug 15, 2016 |

Belongs to Series

Current Discussions

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 201,904,639 books! | Top bar: Always visible