The Amazing Mr. Franklin: Or the Boy Who…

The Amazing Mr. Franklin: Or the Boy Who Read Everything

by Ruth Ashby

Really fun and interesting way to learn about Benjamin Franklin. The story starts when Franklin is seventeen and moving out of his home. It continues through all of his ups and downs and how he became successful in life. I think that this book is so great because it really is written like a story that children would enjoy and understand. The book includes a time line of Benjamin Franklin's life, a tables of contents, and an author's note. Great book to use for history or science lessons grades 4-6. ( )
  mmwrigh3 | Nov 16, 2011 |
Title: The Amazing Mr. Franklin
Author: Ruth Ashby
Book review by: Elle Brackett

This book is an exciting way to learn about Ben Franklin's life. After reading this book I had a better idea of where Ben Franklin came from and how he became so successful. Ben was a curious and intelligent boy from a very young age. There were no libraries in Boston, where Ben was from, that must have been difficult for someone with such an eagerness to learn. Ben later commented, “I do not remember when I could not read.”

Franklin was always stumbling upon new ideas. Once when he was young he was flying a kite near a pond and decided to jump in for a swim. Keeping the kite with him, he lay on his back and the kite started to sail him through the pond. This boy was very gifted, but was stumped on how to put those talents to use. He tired several professions, once he thought about being a minister, then he worked with his father in a candle shop, nothing worked out in his favor though. He was so bored with these things. Ben found something that he was happy with when he became a printer’s apprentice. After running away to Philadelphia, Ben set up his own printing shop. This is where, in my opinion, Ben starts being successful and takes off in his life.

One of the exciting parts about this book is with each page you turn, you never know what Ben is going to do or discover next. I don’t want to tell the whole story of the book. There are many different discoveries Ben Franklin made in his life, from forming his own library to negotiating peace during the end of the Revolutionary War.

Ben Franklin inspires me because he made incredible discoveries with limited resources. He was very successful in achieving his goals with little help. He had a vision and he went for it. I think we could all learn a lesson or two from Ben Franklin. If you are interested in learning about the trials and triumphs of Ben Franklin’s life, or just looking for a good adventure on someone’s life, I would encourage you to read this book.
  miamifins87 | Nov 7, 2009 |

Introduces the life of inventor, statesman, and founding father Benjamin Franklin, whose love of books led him to establish the first public library in the American colonies.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,735,537 books! | Top bar: Always visible