When We Collided

by Emery Lord

Can seventeen-year-old Jonah save his family restaurant from ruin, his mother from her sadness, and his danger-seeking girlfriend Vivi from herself?

This modern- day novel told from two points of view highlights an honest look at two romantically involved teenagers, one grappling with his grief over the sudden loss of his father, and one struggling with her bipolar disorder. Author’s Note, Resources.
  NCSS | Jul 23, 2021 |
"When We Collided" is a very relatable, good book for highs schoolers to understand mental illness better. It is a summer romance between two teens dealing with different kinds of emotional issues. Vivi is the new girl in a small beach town for the summer; she has bipolar disorder but has decided to stop taking her medication and not discuss her diagnosis with anyone. Jonah, the other main character, is mourning the loss of his father. Although very different problems, this book shows the struggles that come along with issues such as these. It's fast-paced and a bit of a mystery. The novel does a really great job of depicting mental illness and grief. I really liked this book. It was an emotional and touching read that had the perfect ending. Lord (the author) gave the characters the ending that put them in the best place they could be mentally and emotionally. In general, I thought it was a really good, important book for teens to read and had great success portraying its main lessons.
  lvitagliano22 | Nov 1, 2020 |
What a beautiful depiction of coping with grief and mental illness by two high school kids who fall in love during the summer. They support each other even though they don't understand everything that is happening. I loved this book, it made me cry at the end, bittersweet tears. Perfect ending though. Once again, Emery Lord reeled me into a fascinating world. ( )
  readingbeader | Oct 29, 2020 |
brilliantly crafted, heartbreaking beautiful, I have never read something that took on the details of grief, love and mental illness with so much thoughtfulness, understanding and hope. Simply stunning. ( )
  ShannonRose4 | Sep 15, 2020 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,143,698 books! | Top bar: Always visible