The Education of a Coach by David Halberstam

The Education of a Coach

by David Halberstam

I really enjoyed reading about the background and behind the scenes stories of Bill Belichick. As a life-long New England Patriots fan, the stories in this book are outstanding. It is great to hear about where he came from and how he operated with the other coaches around him. There were not quite as many stories as I would have liked dealing with the Patriots and their players, but as a coach myself, I found the information to be fascinating.

I would not recommend this to anyone who is not a fan of football and the Patriots as I could see it as being really boring. But if you have a love of the coach or the team, this is in many ways a must read. ( )
  msaucier818 | Apr 9, 2018 |
The man they love to hate. Darth Vader of the gridiron as a gentler, happier soul. Best coach of his generation. ( )
  ktp50 | Jan 31, 2012 |
I first read The Education of a Coach by David Halberstam in 2006 and was captivated by the life story of Bill Belichick. Belichick is truly the product of the perfect upbringing combined with hard work and intelligence. I just finished reading it again for a second time, and I got so much more out of it. I paid more attention to the various people Belichick was exposed to throughout his career. His life really demonstrates the importance of patience and surrounding yourself with successful people. Often the highest paying job is not the right path to take in life. Belichick always wanted more responsibility and exposure in his work, not necessarily more money. He also wanted to work with the best and brightest of his profession and learn as much as he could from these people.

Overall, Halberstam does a great job in walking the reader through the key moments in Belichick's life that shaped who he is today. Is it an extensive biography? No. Does he provide large amounts of details in football strategy and key games? No. The goal of the book was to demonstrate how a successful coach in the modern day NFL learned his craft. In addition, it focused on key moments in his professional development that produced the man we see in front of the camera and on the sidelines every football Sunday.

I highly recommend this book to football fans, Patriots fans, and anyone interested in learning about someone at the top of his profession and how he got there. ( )
  teddyballgame | Jan 2, 2011 |
I think that this was an excellent description of a very private man. Thrown into the spotlight by being great at what he loved (coaching football) it shows why he is equal parts genius and hard worker. I love books that go into the history of an event or person to explain why something is the way it is, and this one did just that. It was definitely a book about the man, rather than a book about football. ( )
  BratGirlC | Jun 2, 2010 |

Bill Belichick's 31 years in the NFL have been marked by amazing success--most recently, his Super Bowl wins with the New England Patriots have made him surpass Vince Lombardi. In this book, journalist Halberstam explores the nuances of both the game and the man behind it. Halberstam writes. "There was, I thought, a certain signature to a Belichick game... I was fascinated ... by the fact that he seemed so un-coachlike, or perhaps the prototype for a very different kind of modern coach in what is an increasingly complicated game. He wasn't in any way charismatic, and he made no attempt to be charismatic--if anything, quite the reverse, but he always seemed to be one step ahead of everyone else." Set apart by his Wesleyan education, Belichick approaches coaching differently than anyone else in the NFL. Here, we learn why and how.--From publisher description.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,203,359 books! | Top bar: Always visible