Killing Reagan: The Violent Assault That…

Killing Reagan: The Violent Assault That Changed a Presidency (Bill… (edition 2015)

by Bill O'Reilly (Author)

Series: Killing (5)

From the bestselling team of Bill O'Reilly and Martin Dugard comes Killing Reagan, a page-turning epic account of the career of President Ronald Reagan that tells the vivid story of his rise to power--and the forces of evil that conspired to bring him down. Just two months into his presidency, Ronald Reagan lay near death after a gunman's bullet came within inches of his heart. His recovery was nothing short of remarkable--or so it seemed. But Reagan was grievously injured, forcing him to encounter a challenge that few men ever face. Could he silently overcome his traumatic experience while at the same time carrying out the duties of the most powerful man in the world? Told in the same riveting fashion as Killing Lincoln, Killing Kennedy, Killing Jesus, and Killing Patton, Killing Reagan reaches back to the golden days of Hollywood, where Reagan found both fame and heartbreak, up through the years in the California governor's mansion, and finally to the White House, where he presided over boom years and the fall of the Iron Curtain. But it was John Hinckley Jr.'s attack on him that precipitated President Reagan's most heroic actions. In Killing Reagan, O'Reilly and Dugard take readers behind the scenes, creating an unforgettable portrait of a great man operating in violent times.… (more)
Member:mfigroid
Title:Killing Reagan: The Violent Assault That Changed a Presidency (Bill O'Reilly's Killing Series)
Authors:Bill O'Reilly (Author)
Info:Henry Holt and Co. (2015), Edition: First Edition, 320 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:Read in 2019, History

Killing Reagan: The Violent Assault That Changed a Presidency by Bill O'Reilly

Having only listened to one other "Killing" book ("Killing England"), I wasn't really sure what to expect from "Killing Reagan." I was happy to see it covered most of Reagan's life, not just the immediate years leading up to the assassination attempt and the recovery period thereafter. I've read little on Reagan and was in my formative years (10-18) during his presidency. Ideologically, I am a fan of Reagan and the book's insight into his politics strengthened my respect for his beliefs and fortitude.

While in no way in-depth, "Killing Reagan" seems to do a good job covering the highs and lows of his life and presidency. The book does seem to make a big deal out of not only Nancy's belief in astrology but in Reagan's too. However, at the end it offers a personal letter from Reagan to a friend flatly denying this.

"Killing Reagan" is a quick read that will give an adequate overview of the man, his beliefs, his impact on the world stage, and his decline. ( )
  Jarratt | Sep 20, 2018 |
Really surprised I liked this for so many reasons. Maybe it was because I lived through the 80's but as a kid, didn't really get the implication of events. Reading about history, with a retrospective lens, was eye-opening and helped me "connect the dots". I didn't realize I had gaping holes in my knowledge or understanding. I think my fondness of this book comes from those revelations, less about Reagan, Nancy or John Hinckley Jr. ( )
  HunyBadger | Jul 6, 2017 |
This book was better than I thought. I am not sure that all the representations about Reagan and particularly his health are correct. George Will was very critical of the book, particularly in regards to Reagan's mental state during the second term of his presidency. I had expected an almost saintly portrayal of Reagan by O'Reilly but that didn't happen. Reagan was human with a variety of flaws. I thought that he was overrated by his supporters and certain historians. I admit that I skimmed over the chapters related to John Hinckley. I may take a look at some of O'Reilly's other books based on my experience here. ( )
  writemoves | Jan 30, 2017 |
Another good read from Bill O'Reilly and Martin Dugard. ( )
  LisaDillmanWright | Oct 14, 2016 |
“Killing Reagan,” the latest in Bill O’Reilly’s “Killing” series is a formulaic, fast reading, thumbnail sketch of the title character. And to that end, it’s OK. However, it seems that O’Reilly and co-author, Martin Dugard, rather than focus on Reagan’s accomplishment, focus instead on his human frailties, foreshadowing at first; showcasing thereafter. The highlights of Reagan’s amazing life story are seemingly relegated to incidental background, reminiscent of Meryl Streep’s dystopic portrayal of Margaret Thatcher in “The Iron Lady.” It too focused on Thatcher’s mental decline, telling her story in flashbacks as seen from the torment of her dementia while her heroic leadership of the Great Britain serves as a sporadic, dimly lit backdrop. Still, Miss Streep’s accent was “spot on!” And that’s what mattered.
While reading “Killing Reagan” or watching “The Iron Lady,” one would think world events evolved in spite of their efforts, not because of them. And therein lies my major beef with O’Reilly’s take on Reagan’s life. “Killing Reagan” is, however, a good, thumbnail sketch of John Hinckley Jr.’s life and decent into madness. So kudos there.
All in all, it’s not a bad book, but one rife with the contemporary bias of “look what a smart, brave journalist I am” skulking about in the tall grass. And frankly, I’ve had about all of that I care to see. Overall grade is “two and a half stars.” Good for what it purports to be but somewhat lacking in the portrayal of a great man. ( )
  Renzomalo | Feb 1, 2016 |

Bill O'Reillyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Dugard, Martinsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
God had a divine purpose in placing this land between two great oceans to be found by those who had a special love of freedom and courage.
-Ronald Regan
This book is dedicated to all those who are caring for an elderly person. You are noble.
The man with one minute to live is no longer confused.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,656,013 books! | Top bar: Always visible