Have you checked out SantaThing, LibraryThing's gift-giving tradition?
dismiss

Sleeping Giants (The Themis Files) by…

Sleeping Giants (The Themis Files) (edition 2017)

by Sylvain Neuvel (Author)

Series: Themis Files (1)

"17 years ago: A girl in South Dakota falls through the earth, then wakes up dozens of feet below ground on the palm of what seems to be a giant metal hand. Today: She is a top-level physicist leading a team of people to understand exactly what that hand is, where it came from, and what it portends for humanity. A swift and spellbinding tale told almost exclusively through transcriptions of interviews conducted by a mysterious and unnamed character, this is a unique debut that describes a hunt for truth, power, and giant body parts"--… (more)
Member:ValhallaStar
Title:Sleeping Giants (The Themis Files)
Authors:Sylvain Neuvel (Author)
Info:Del Rey (2017), Edition: Reprint, 336 pages

Sleeping Giants by Sylvain Neuvel

English (151)  Finnish (2)  Swedish (2)  Dutch (1)  All languages (156)
4.5 stars ( )
  AndreaWay | Nov 15, 2020 |
I "read" Sleeping Giants as an audiobook borrowed from the library, and it was lots of fun. Great story, with a great cast of actors. I liked it so much so that I plan to buy the actual book and read it "again". Looking forward to reading the sequel. ( )
  stevrbee | Nov 7, 2020 |
A warmed-over Dan Brown sort of plot, with ancient alien artifacts, secret conspiracies, government malfeasance, military bureaucracy, plucky but disgruntled heros, and other pseudo-mysterious plot device nonsense. DNF'd at 50%. It wasn't horrible, just sort of silly and tedious. I could have plowed on through and finished it, and perhaps it would have been worth it in the end, but just wasn't in the mood to stick it out.
  RandyRasa | Oct 25, 2020 |
OH. MY. GOD. ( )
  margaretkwon | Oct 24, 2020 |
I'm really not sure if this is a four star book, but I felt bad putting it at only three. Let's call it a three and a half. I enjoyed it, especially since the audiobook was fairly well done with different people voicing the characters, but there are some problems. The book is formatted oddly in that you are reading/listening to recorded interviews taken after every major event. Sometimes you get diary entries from characters taken during events or right after events instead, but the majority of the action has already happened when you get a peek at it. This is an interesting format, but it does lead the story to be a bit jerky with time skips. I like the characters, despite them being a little unrealistic, and despite one character's stinging commentary on anthropology not being a hard science. I had to stop the player for a minute after that. I think I forgave that mistake because it seems like the author treated archaeology as though it were it's own field, and not a subfield of anthropology. That in itself was a mistake since the action happens in America where archaeology is a subfield, but most people don't know that(most places in the world it's a separate field of study). Anyway, it's a common bias that some scientists have that anthropology isn't really a science, so that was a good call on the author's part, it just stung a little. The point of view of the story is implied to be that of a character that was never named(as far as I remember). I called him the director or the interviewer. It's never confirmed that you are experiencing the story as him, but he is in every scene that isn't a diary entry and it's implied that he reads people's diaries. Again, structurally this is an interesting way to tell a story, but the jerkiness can be annoying. The mystery of this dude's name bothered me. Overall I liked the story, though I think people who are bigger fans of giant robot stories might be more impressed. So Gundam fans rejoice, this book is for you, though the story here is more build up and promise than action. The next book probably will jump into more action. ( )
  Noeshia | Oct 23, 2020 |

Belongs to Series

A Théodore.
Maintenant, on va t'appendre
à lire... et l'anglais
It was my eleventh birthday.

A girl named Rose is riding her new bike near her home in Deadwood, South Dakota, when she falls through the earth. She wakes up at the bottom of a square hole, its walls glowing with intricate carvings. But the firemen who come to save her peer down upon something even stranger: a little girl in the palm of a giant metal hand.

Seventeen years later, the mystery of the bizarre artifact remains unsolved—its origins, architects, and purpose unknown. Its carbon dating defies belief; military reports are redacted; theories are floated, then rejected.

But some can never stop searching for answers.

Rose Franklin is now a highly trained physicist leading a top secret team to crack the hand’s code. And along with her colleagues, she is being interviewed by a nameless interrogator whose power and purview are as enigmatic as the provenance of the relic. What’s clear is that Rose and her compatriots are on the edge of unraveling history’s most perplexing discovery—and figuring out what it portends for humanity. But once the pieces of the puzzle are in place, will the result prove to be an instrument of lasting peace or a weapon of mass destruction?
big underground hand / made of luminous metal / part of something big? (tomzorz)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 152,528,243 books! | Top bar: Always visible