Because of Miss Bridgerton

by Julia Quinn

Series: Rokesbys (1)

Sometimes you find love in the most unexpected of places... This is not one of those times. Everyone expects Billie Bridgerton to marry one of the Rokesby brothers. The two families have been neighbors for centuries, and as a child the tomboyish Billie ran wild with Edward and Andrew. Either one would make a perfect husband... someday. Sometimes you fall in love with exactly the person you think you should... Or not. There is only one Rokesby Billie absolutely cannot tolerate, and that is George. He may be the eldest and heir to the earldom, but he's arrogant, annoying, and she's absolutely certain he detests her. Which is perfectly convenient, as she can't stand the sight of him, either. But sometimes fate has a wicked sense of humor... Because when Billie and George are quite literally thrown together, a whole new sort of sparks begins to fly. And when these lifelong adversaries finally kiss, they just might discover that the one person they can't abide is the one person they can't live without...… (more)

A Julia Quinn novel always promises a good read. For the first time, I’m stepping away from the acclaimed Bridgerton series and heading into the…prequels. These are still about the Bridgerton family, just a generation that we haven’t met on screen. Like the other Bridgertons, these characters are full of wit and daring.

Billie Bridgerton is not your usual girl of the period. She delights in looking after the family estate, from crops to general maintenance. She rides in the fields wearing breeches to the horror of her mother and prefers books on agriculture to novels. To the neighbouring Rokesby family, that’s just Billie. She’s always been part of the gang. True to her character, the story opens with Billie stuck on a roof after falling out of a tree to rescue a cat. Unfortunately, the closest Rokesby happens to be George. Billie and George have never seen eye to eye, and the barbs spark off both when the ladder to freedom falls to the ground. But the more time that George and Billie spend in each other’s company, the more they find that they actually…like each other. It takes a lot to get them together, including a lost brother and an attempt to become a spy, but the pair get their happily ever after.

I was a little concerned going into this series whether I would enjoy it as much – basically, how much did watching Bridgerton influence my enjoyment of the books? But I did enjoy it, although it was a bit unfamiliar at first getting used to characters that I hadn’t previously ‘met’. Julia Quinn’s dialogue is razor sharp and in the thoroughly modern character of Billie she gets lots of barbs in! The wordplay between Billie and George was a delight to read. I did feel that the opening scene on the roof was a bit dragged out, but as it’s the seed for a budding romance I can’t really fault that. There are some fantastically fun scenes, with Pall Mall making an appearance. (Nice to know that the previous generation of Bridgertons also delighted in making this a blood sport). There is a nice combination of the familiar and the new in this series, which will delight many. I did enjoy it when the action moved from the country to London, as there is always a lot more happening and new characters introduced.

Overall, this was a solid start to a new series and I’ll enjoy seeing what else the previous generation of Bridgertons got up to.

http://samstillreading.wordpress.com ( )
  birdsam0610 | Jul 24, 2021 |
{First of 4: Rokesbys series. Romance} (2016)

Occasionally I try a foray into the romance genre and this one had good press on LT so I thought I'd give it a go. This is, I've since discovered, the first book in a prequel series to The Bridgertons which has been made into a TV series. Billie (Sybilla) Bridgerton is the eldest of the Bridgertons but, as a female, isn't the heir although she has taken on a lot of the responsibilities to help her father while her younger brother is still at school. So she's been a bit of a tomboy and has grown up with the neighbouring Rokesby children except for the older brother George who, as heir to the Rokesby estate, has kept himself distant. But guess who the only person is who's around to rescue her when she gets stranded on a roof trying to rescue a cat?

I could only find this on Overdrive (after seeing other people on LT had read it) as an audiobook; for only possibly my second audiobook it wasn’t too bad although I have now realised that listening to other people read aloud is a soporific for me (relaxing, I suppose). The narrator did a good job with different voices, especially older ladies, although the titular heroine (at the ripe old age of 23) and her younger sister did come across as sounding a bit more childish than I think they would have sounded in my head if I had read it myself. I did like the fact that the two romantic leads had known each other from childhood.

The usual fluff, obligatory bedroom scenes - although I was hoping to get away without those - and manners I would be embarrassed to see my kids display in this day and age, not to mention a heap of anachronistic expressions from over the Pond but you could say the same for most Regency (I assume) romances. Par for the course, I suppose, so no marks off for that.

3 stars ( )
  humouress | Nov 22, 2020 |
Miss Billie Bridgerton loves helping her father run their estate, dressing for the occasion (mainly in breeches), and visiting with her dearest neighbors the Rokesby family. However, while she loves all the Rokesby clan as if they were her own family, she cannot abide their eldest son George. His arrogance and predictability are the last thing Billie would consider a "catch" by all the other eligible females of the ton. But, things are not always as they seem...when George steps in to perform a good deed (and possibly save her reputation), Billie begins to see a different side of George. But, old habits and feelings are hard to dismiss and their newfound friendship may just be doomed before it every really begins.

This is the first novel in the Bridgerton Prequel series and it was just as good as its' predecessors! I had forgotten how much I loved Julia Quinn's novels until I read this one - so full of wit, adventure, and just great laughs! I ran out and bought the remaining 3 novels in the series and cannot wait to dive in! ( )
  chrirob | Oct 8, 2020 |
Having just completed a read of the entire Bridgerton Series I was looking forward to this book. Let me say it didn’t disappoint. This story is a prequel of sorts. Sybilla (Billie) Bridgerton is the aunt of the 8 Bridgerton siblings in the previous books.
Meeting Billie we can see that she is quintessentially a Bridgerton – good looking, intelligent, reckless and not afraid to speak her mind. She is the perfect heir for her father with the exception of her being a girl.
This story takes place in the country where the Bridgertons and their close neighbors the Rokesbys have raised their children together. Billie has grown up as one of the boys – teasing each other, climbing trees, jumping horses, shooting, and generally getting into any kind of mischief.
Now, at the ripe old age of 23, never having gone to London for a season, Billie finds herself stranded on the roof of an old farmhouse with a sprained ankle and no way to get down. She finally sees someone in the distance all calls for help. Unfortunately, it is the eldest Rokesby – George, Lord Kennard. George is 5 years older that Billie’s companions in crime and as the heir he was raised to be responsible so he had refrained from a troublemaking childhood. As such, Billie and his younger siblings consider him a bit of a stick in the mud.
Billie and George are like opposites, they don’t get along – until they do. When George gets trapped on the roof with Billie something changes. They start to talk and the chemistry happens. The remainder of the book is a dance of attraction and repulsion. They like each other but can’t believe it’s true. George must marry someone who will be an appropriate countess and Billie never imagines marrying.
A family crisis in the Rokesby family draws them together and a kiss seals the deal. I always like stories where the couple have practically grown up as brother and sister until they realize they aren’t related at all. This is definitely a fitting addition to the Bridgerton family series and leaves the door open to more stories about this generation of Rokesbys/ Bridgertons.
  ddeluna1 | Mar 19, 2020 |

Belongs to Series

For Susan Cotter
You amaze me every day.

And also for Paul.
A well-timed phone call is
the mark of a excellent husband.
May you touch the sky this time.
The roof of an abandoned farmhouse
Midway between Aubrey Hall and Crake House
Kent, England

It wasn't that Billie Bridgerton was lacking in common sense.

Sometimes you find love in the most unexpected of places...

This is not one of those times.

Sometimes you fall in love with exactly the person you think you should...

Or not.

But sometimes fate has a wicked sense of humor...

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,471,101 books! | Top bar: Always visible