The Friday Night Knitting Club by Kate…

The Friday Night Knitting Club (edition 2008)

by Kate Jacobs (Author)

4,4612001,914 (3.35)148
Walker & Daughter is Georgia Walker's little yarn shop, tucked into a quiet storefront on Manhattan's Upper West Side. Its Friday night knitting club is improvised by some of Georgia's regulars, who stroll into the shop looking for tips on knitting and end up finding much, much more. So now, once a week, they gather to work on their latest projects and to chat--and occasionally clash--over their stories of love, life, and everything in between. However, unexpected changes soon throw these women's lives into disarray, and the shop's comfortable world gets shaken up like a snow globe. When the unthinkable happens, they realize what they've created: not just a knitting club but a sisterhood.… (more)
Member:Rhondadarlage1963
Title:The Friday Night Knitting Club
Authors:Kate Jacobs (Author)
Info:Berkley Books (2008), Edition: 1st, 372 pages
Collections:Read but unowned

The Friday Night Knitting Club by Kate Jacobs

Recently added byRennie80, Martisu1, NancyH62
    Knit Two by Kate Jacobs (albavirtual)
    albavirtual: Es la continuación del libro anterior, es de lectura rápida y sin complicaciones, con historietas de amistad que llegan directamente al corazón.
    Stay by Allie Larkin (bilja)
    bilja: it's all about friendship!
    Little Earthquakes by Jennifer Weiner (Deesirings)

English (189)  Spanish (7)  French (2)  Norwegian (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (200)
I thought this would be the perfect light summer read. But I just couldn't do it...finally put it down a few chapters in. It was after one character walked by the 'sturdy Ikea coffee table'.
  giovannaz63 | Jan 18, 2021 |
I often enjoy "fluffy" books, especially in the summertime when my mind tends to shut down, but this was just a little too much for me. Somehow though, I ended up in tears at the end of the story-perhaps this is why it was too much? I guess I stupidly assumed that the writing would be much better than it was because of it's popularity-will I ever learn? ( )
  Emily_Harris | Dec 22, 2020 |
I thought this was going to be a "fluff" woman's book but there really was a lot of things to think about. ( )
  kshydog | Dec 13, 2020 |
Author Kate Jacobs really took me by surprise in this cozy story of New York City characters and the way their lives intersect at Georgia Walker's knitting store on the Upper West Side. Despite the underdeveloped treatment of these two-sided characters, and the way Jacobs shied away from letting us observe and feel several tough confrontational scenes at the end, I came to care about them.

Sadly, the characters remained just that -- characters, not people you might have known somewhere (except for Anita, who reminded me of my son's 4th grade teacher). Jacobs never really gets inside anybody's head, except perhaps James' mother in Baltimore.

The strange, hackneyed descriptions (Gran smelled like a combination of hairspray and peppermint) were distracting, but I enjoyed losing myself in this story.

While reading, I kept casting the movie: Georgia - Jessica Chastain, Cat - Julia Stiles, and James - a younger clone of Clifton Davis, who is (now in his late 60's). ( )
  Mona07452 | Oct 23, 2020 |
Not the best book ever but it was a quick enjoyable read. ( )
  baruthcook | Aug 26, 2020 |

Kate Jacobsprimary authorall editionscalculated
Batista, MontserratTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Khayat, RashaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
MacDuffie, CarringtonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Open Tuesday to Saturday, 10 A.M -- 8 P.M. No exceptions! The hours of WALKER AND DAUGHTER, KNITTERS were clearly displayed in multicolored letters on a white sandwich board placed just so at the top of the stair landing.

A group of plucky, crafty women in contemporary NYC meet at Manhattan yarn shop every Friday night to share knitting techniques and personal dramas. While the characters are not particularly well developed, the knitting details are interesting. Sadly, this story takes a melodramatic, tragic turn at the end precluding using the novel for a light, fun, "brain candy" recommendation. ljh 11/13/09

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 158,970,098 books! | Top bar: Always visible