Kushiel's Dart (2001)

by Jacqueline Carey

Series: Phèdre Trilogy (1), Kushiel's Legacy (1)

The land of Terre d'Ange is a place of unsurpassing beauty and grace. It is said that angels found the land and saw it was good ... and the ensuing race that rose from the seed of angels and men live by one simple rule: Love as thou wilt. Phedre no Delaunay is a young woman who was born with a scarlet mote in her left eye. Sold into indentured servitude as a child, her bond is purchased by Anafiel Delaunay, a nobleman with a very special mission ... and the first one to recognize who and what she is: one pricked by Kushiel's Dart, chosen to forever experience pain and pleasure as one. Phedre is trained equally in the courtly arts and the talents of the bedchamber, but, above all, the ability to observe, remember, and analyze. Almost as talented a spy as she is courtesan, Phedre stumbles upon a plot that threatens the very foundation of her homeland. Treachery sets her on her path; love and honor goad her further. And in the doing, it will take her to the edge of despair ... and beyond. Hateful friend, loving enemy, beloved assassin; they can all wear the same glittering mask in this world, and Phedre will get but one chance to save all that she hold dear. Set in a world of cunning poets, deadly courtiers, heroic traitors, and a truly Machiavellian villainess, this is a novel of grandeur, lusuriance, sacrifice, betrayal, and deeply laid conspiracies.… (more)
    The Claiming of Sleeping Beauty by A. N. Roquelaure (epazia)
    Daughter of the Blood by Anne Bishop (avalon_today)
    avalon_today: Both about a young girl faced with adventures and obstacles.
    Mélusine by Sarah Monette (ryvre)
    The Queen's Bastard by C. E. Murphy (leahsimone)
    The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms by N. K. Jemisin (leahsimone)
    The Serpent and the Rose by Kathleen Bryan (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: For the reinterpretation of Christianity, although they are very different books.
    Even the Wingless by M. C. A. Hogarth (hoddybook)
    hoddybook: Even the Wingless is less erotica than Kushiel's Dart. Both deal with somewhat extreme sexual practices however. The former set in an alien environment whereas the latter is in an alternate universe.
    The Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley (cataylor)
    Cold Magic by Kate Elliott (PhoenixFalls)
    Black Ships by Jo Graham (ryvre)
    ryvre: Black Ships has the same fantasy-meets-mythology feel as the Kushiel series, though without the sexual themes.
    The Compass Rose by Gail Dayton (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: Because of the vivid sexual descriptions and political underpinnings.
    To Serve and Submit by Susan Wright (Anonymous user)

English (217)  Dutch (1)  Swedish (1)  French (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (221)
Simply not a book for me; the writing seemed stilted, the characters did not feel real to me. Many of the sex scenes seemed actually like they were extras and not needed. I am not a prude, erotic writing doesn't bother me--but they have to make sense to me. A lot of what I read I believed could have been skipped or approached differently.
UPDATE: 2018, after struggling through this first one, I picked it back up and made myself read through the entire Trilogy. I'm glad I did. I ended up reading through Kushiel's Universe. All the books. Yes. ALL. Her writing starts to blossom by the end of Phedre's trilogy and she comes into her own for Imriel's. Definitely a book that I recommend you don't do what I did and dismiss the first one off the bat. ( )
  HotPinkMess | Jul 31, 2022 |
I got 18% of the way through this and just had to give up. I had no idea what was going on. It was too flowery, had far too many people introduced in too short a space of time. Trying to keep track of each of the religions plus the politics was just a chore. I really wanted to like it, but I couldn't force myself to continue, especially not with the length of the book! ( )
  egge | Jul 16, 2022 |
Such a good book! Beautiful imagery, strong and complex characters, intrigue, mystery, action, emotion, introspection... The length is daunting, but I got through it in less than two weeks, which is speedy for me. A book I may actually read again, just to catch what I was too busy being swept away to notice during the first read. :) ( )
  Cerestheories | Nov 8, 2021 |
Overwrought, excessively wordy, and yet sometimes frustratingly vague. I missed the magic that others found apparently. ( )
  bookwyrmqueen | Oct 25, 2021 |
This series is a guilty pleasure beach read for me. I read it every few years and while it isn't the most engaging story or the best written I find it enjoyable and worth the time. ( )
  KateKat11 | Sep 24, 2021 |
Overall, though, this is a really superior debut, integrating original themes, intelligent world-building, and skillful writing to an extent all too rare in today's fantasy market. It should immediately establish Carey as one of the most interesting and talented of the current crop of rising fantasy stars.

Carey, Jacquelineprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Flosnik, AnneNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Giancola, DonatoCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nguyen, TranIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Palencar, John JudeCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thank you to my parents, Marty and Rob, for a lifetime of love and encouragement, and to Julie, whose belief never wavered. To my great aunt Harriett, a very special mahalo for all her stalwart support.
Lest anyone should suppose that I am a cuckoo's child, got on the wrong side of the blanket by lusty peasant stock and sold into indenture in a shortfallen season, I may say that I am House-born and reared in the Night Court proper, for all the good it did me.
Love as thou wilt.

First of three parts of the first German translation of "Kushiel's Dart".
Second part is called "In den Händen der Feinde".
The third part has never been published.

The new translation of "Kushiel's Dart" is called "Das Zeichen". It contains the whole book.
Second of three parts of the first German translation of "Kushiel's Dart".
First part is called "Die Geheimniss des Nachtpalais".
The third part has never been published.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 173,959,495 books! | Top bar: Always visible