Ryker by Sawyer Bennett

Ryker

by Sawyer Bennett

Series: Cold Fury Hockey (4)

The stakes have never been higher for Carolina Cold Fury goalie Ryker Evans. With his contract running out, he's got a year left to prove that he's still at the top of his game. And since his wife left him, Ryker has been balancing life as a pro hockey star and a single parent to two daughters. Management is waiting for him to screw up. The fans are ready to pounce. Everybody's taking dirty shots - except for the fiery redhead whose faith in Ryker gives him a fresh start. As the league's only female general manager, Gray Brannon has learned not to mix business with pleasure. And yet even this tough, talented career woman can't help breaking her own rules as she gives Ryker everything she's got. She hopes that their hot streak will last forever, but with Ryker's conniving ex plotting to reclaim her man, the pressure's on Gray to step up and save a tender new love before it's too late. Contains mature themes.… (more)

4.5 stars. My new favorite book in the series. Can't wait to read Hawke :-) ( )
  kbranfield | Feb 3, 2020 |
#IWantTheGoalie

This isn’t your typical sports romance novel. Yes, it does have a sexy sports figure with a hot craving for a very self-assured woman. There is where the similarities for the romance stop. Ryker is definitely a hunky, alpha hockey player who wants a relationship. Yep, a relationship. He’s not the typical lead male character who is going to sow his wild ‘player’ ways with the right woman. Nope, he actually wants a personal connection and isn’t the one-night stand typical book boyfriend. Our heroine, Gray, is one of the strongest female leads I have read in a long time. She knows what she wants; however due to her drive, she’s given the idea of a long-term relationship a back seat. Ms. Bennett takes the reader through their relationship ups and downs throwing in obstacles along the way. Some of those complications have you pause. Will they have a HEA together in the end or separate knowing the short term was good but not the best for them? I know I did and you will need to read to find out which path they follow.

Ryker is everything you want in your romantic Hero: he is a loving father, loyal to his friends and teammates, protective of others – just the ideal man. Yet, it’s Gray whom I felt the most connection to throughout the book. As a professional woman myself, you have the drive to reach the top of your career ladder. You balance personal life to make sure you do not damage your professional goals. For anyone who has been in Gray’s place you can relate to this character. You are constantly on vigil about how others perceive you all the while trying to make a difference in your chosen vocation. And no kidding, it’s real, the personal relationships suffer those choices. As a reader through this story you get to experience all the trips and slips as they navigate. In the end, who is the most deserving person in the relationship to have all their professional aspirations reached? Pick this book up to find out.

By far, the favorite part of the book for me was the epilogue. I read it four times before I wrote this review. Best possible ending for Gray. If you haven’t gathered so far, I definitely recommend you read and devour this novel. It has everything you are looking for in a contemporary romance, strong characters and steam-up-the-glasses scenes. Although part of a series, this novel can stand-alone for an initial read. If you are like me and read them all – this was a perfect story to close the series on.

This book was given to me as an advanced reader copy. This review may be updated to include quotes and additional thoughts upon publication release. ( )
  karenhulseman | Dec 3, 2019 |
Another great addition to the series! What I loved:
1. Gray is smart and driven. I love it when the heroine is intelligent (in this case, a genius) and embraces her brain!
2. Ryker is a single dad who adores his girls. Its so sweet to see
3. Alternating POV (one of my favorite things!)

Why not 5 stars? The beginning was a bit slow for me and it took me some time to really get invested, you know? But, its a great story and I'm glad I stuck with it! ( )
  thebookdisciple | Oct 9, 2018 |
The Cold Fury Series has got to be by far one of my favorite hockey series. I love every character and how they are developed and integrated in every story. We first met Ryker in Zack’s story; he was a newly traded goalie to the team and just getting his bearings about being a single father to two young girls.

Fast-forward to now, and Ryker is the hottest goalie in the NHL filling in for the injured starter Max, and taking the team all the way. Being a seasoned veteran helps keep the younger players in line and the team on the way to the Cup.

When the GM names his daughter Gray as his replacement, all heck breaks loose within the ranks of the players. Some come around to see how things can become better, while a select few are still not happy with the choice of a woman running the team. Ryker is one of her greatest supporters and he finds himself quickly falling for Gray.

This is one of my favorite Cold Fury books so far. Sawyer Bennett can write hockey like no other. Knowing who her muse was for this book makes it even better since he plays for my team and is one of my favorite players too! Cannot wait to see what comes next for the Cold Fury!! If you love hockey you seriously need to read this book!
  pcorrea3 | Dec 19, 2016 |
So Sawyer Bennett is back with another Carolina Cold Fury story and this one is bigger than ever!
So if you read Zack story, then you would be well aware of Ryker and his two children Violet and Ruby; this dad is still struggling (thankfully still with the help of Kate) with being suddenly thrust into single fatherhood, after his soon to be ex-wife ran off with his ex-team-mate. Thankfully he was saved from his old team by Grey Brannon, the Fury’s scout and GM’s Daughter, who thought he would be the perfect starting Goalie and he sure has tried to live up to that, now if only he could make it through the day with his daughters.
Grey is about to flip the world of hockey on its head by becoming the first GM of a major league hockey team! Never mind that she has a genius IQ of 142, a gold and silver Olympic hockey medal and a PhD and an MBA! She also has found and signed most of the talent, including the amazing Ryker Evans; the team goalie and the one player she can’t seem to get out of her head.
As Ryker’s and Grey’s friendship develops into more, people from the past and present threatens their future, not to mention the biggest conflict, which is Grey being Ryker’s boss. When all these conflicts come to a head, what will happen to Ryker and Greys love?
Wow! Sawyer Bennett’s Cold Fury series never fails to sparks some form of emotion with me, but Ryker far surpasses every book she has written so far! You honestly can’t help but fall in love with the characters…well except for Claude and Henley. Even the one character that you thought would be a jerk all the way through the book (Bill) doesn’t turn in to such a jerk in the end. I find the writing, plot and the characters magical! The writing is so gripping and detailed, that the characters come to life before your eyes.
I give Ryker an extremely well deserved 10 out of 10!
  Cara_Ross | Aug 16, 2016 |

Sawyer Bennettprimary authorall editionscalculated
Dukehart, CrisReadermain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Halstead, GrahamReadermain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Audio, TantorPublishersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,572,442 books! | Top bar: Always visible