Queen of the Darkness: The Black Jewels…

Queen of the Darkness: The Black Jewels Trilogy 3 (Archive) (edition 2000)

by Anne Bishop

Member:fionac17
Title:Queen of the Darkness: The Black Jewels Trilogy 3 (Archive)
Authors:Anne Bishop
Info:Roc (2000), Paperback, 448 pages

Queen of the Darkness by Anne Bishop

Recently added byLindaWeeks, lazypony111, private library, kencyrath, dcasner, Dez.dono, D.Lieber, Rose_F, marolyn

English (38)  All (1)  All (39)
Queen of the Darkness is the culmination of the Black Jewels trilogy (though there are more books in the series, they're mostly standalone), and the best (by a hair). Jaenelle and Daemon are finally reunited and must face the final confrontation against the tainted Blood.
This is such a wonderful series. I'm in the process of rereading it once again though I did read each book as it came out and over and over again. This series is one of my 'comfort' series that I read to take me away from the worries of real life. Every time I read it, I find something new. The worldbuilding is complex and detailed - I just love everything Ms. Bishop writes. ( )
  N.W.Moors | Dec 20, 2017 |
Probably the weakest out of the three books, plot wise. But I loved the interaction between Daemon, Lucivar and their father. Janelle was always a side character for me, with these three as the main protagonists. I preferred seeing the story through their eyes. I really liked how much history was between the brothers. I kind of wish there was a story just detailing their history. I would be all over that. But as for their interactions with all the other characters - there was a lot left to be desired. There was still that confusing undertone of things not being explained well enough. However, there was a prequel to this series that I haven't read so it's possible I missed some crucial information before diving into this series. Overall, I was highly entertained by this series I will be continuing with some of the follow up stories, but later. I need a break from these characters for a little bit, to allow the story to process a little more. But I'll be back for sure. ( )
  Kassilem | Oct 24, 2017 |
Jeanelle has made her Offering to the Darkness and accepted her fate to rule as Queen and protector of the Shadow Realm. The taint from Terrielle continues to spread. Even Witch cannot stop it alone. Somewhere, lost in the madness of the Twisted Kingdom, is Daemon, her promised Consort. Yet even their combined strength may not be enough to secure the Realms from their enemies. A final sacrifice must be made for Jeanelle to save the Realms and her loved ones and to cleanse the Blood.

Queen of the Darkness is the third in the Black Jewels trilogy by Anne Bishop. The final installment picks up 5 years where the second book leaves off. War is brewing. Hekatah and Dorothea's scheming knows no bounds and won't stop until all the Realms are brought under their rule or are left in ruins.

All of the main characters arcs are nearly done. Jeanelle has transitioned from a young, shy, unsure girl into a confident and powerful young woman. She rules in Kaeleer with her court full of powerful Queens, Warlords and Kindred. Jeanelle feels keenly the responsibility she has shouldered, that she never wanted, to take care of the Blood and the land. Saetan has settled into his role as family patriarch and court Steward. Luciver, freed from the corruption and slavery he was trapped in, has found peace in his life. He has become a loving husband, doting father and his joy comes through on the page. He has also accepted his role as the Warlord Prince of Ebon Rih and takes his duties very serious. And then there's Daemon. Lost in the Twisted Kingdom he has finally started to find his way out and is faced with the challenge of finding out exactly what happened that night seven years ago. He still has a long way to go and I don't want to say too much more for fear of major plot spoilers.

This was the most emotional of the three books for me. To see the characters fight so hard for happiness, get to taste it for a moment and then have it ripped away was heartbreaking. It is a dark fantasy series so there is some collateral damage expected. Bishop doesn't pull any punches.

The action is fast paced and the gore factor is higher in this book than the last. The final 100 pages of the book were hard to put down.

The only draw back in this series in general, and why I can't give any of the books five stars, is the repetitive descriptors that Bishop uses. You get "sapphire voice" and characters "snarling" at each other constantly. It was particularly bad in the second book and still there, but less glaring, in the third.

I thoroughly enjoyed my return to the Black Jewels trilogy. Bishop has gone on to write other stories in the Black Jewels world, but the trilogy is where it's at for me. I know I will return again some day when I need that dark fantasy fix that is unique to Bishop's writing. ( )
  Narilka | Apr 30, 2016 |
Um final digno duma trilogia que surpreendeu duma forma refrescante com um tipo de fantasia completamente nova, cruel e maquiavélica. Vale mesmo a pena ler estes 3 livros. Ainda tentei começar a ler os restantes mas pretendia saber o que acontecia a Daemon e Jaenelle depois da grande limpeza e só me dava visões do passado.
Este último livro traz-nos ao nível mais elaborado as conspirações destrutivas da Hekatah que acha que pode tomar o lugar da Raínha das Trevas Jaenelle e a descoberta da única solução que pode ajudar a evitar uma guerra aniquiladora para todos os mundos - O sacrifício definitivo.
Quem tem aqui um papel vital são os animais, também eles de Sangue.
  bruc79 | Mar 27, 2016 |
I cannot imagine what it must have been like to read these books when they were first published and you couldn't read one after the other, within days. They are delightfully delicious reads, with incredible world craft and characters that make you care. I loved book 1, loved book 2 even more than I read book three--The only proper expression here is, of course, "Mother Night." I love the kindred characters, the way we finally got to understand why Daemon is the Sadist. The intrigue in this book is so wonderfully intense! I think the point if view jumping was completely masterful. The last 50 pages made me cry and smile too. So great. ( )
  Jackie_Sassa | Nov 20, 2015 |

Anne Bishopprimary authorall editionscalculated
correiacristinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
for Pat and Bill Feidner and Grace Tongue
Dorothea SaDiablo, the High Priestess of the Territory called Hayll, slowly climbed the stairs to the large wooden platform.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451456734, Mass Market Paperback)

It began with the mystery of Daughter of the Blood. It continued with the magic of Heir to the Shadows. Now, the stunning conclusion to The Black Jewels Trilogy.

"Darkly mesmerizing...fascinatingly different...worth checking out." --Locus

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:53 -0400)

Jaenelle reigns as Queen of Ebon Askavi only as long as she can stave off her enemies, but she cannot do this without help from her consort, Daemon, whose love will help to secure her power, but his love might not be enough.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,505,445 books! | Top bar: Always visible