Anne Frank: Beyond the Diary - A Photographic Remembrance

by Ruud van der Rol, Rian Verhoeven (Author)

Other authors: Anne Frank (Contributor)

Photographs, illustrations, and maps accompany historical essays, diary excerpts, and interviews, providing an insight to Anne Frank and the massive upheaval which tore apart her world.

English (22)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (24)
This photographic remembrance of Anne Frank appears at first like any family album. Translated from the Dutch, this photobiography, like the famous diary, captures the ordinariness of Anne and her family's life. Individual photos are mostly informal snapshots and are a bit blurry at times. But this photobiography chronicles a far-from-ordinary life, and the Association of the Anne Frank House in Amsterdam sets Anne's story in a larger context, examining Hitler's rise to power, developing her family history, and the larger fate of the Jews during WWII. The establishment of the Anne Frank House in 1960 is also described.
The photographs are well captioned and the book is handsomely designed, with short essays in easily readable text. A facsimile of her last diary entry has also been included, as well as maps, interviews, chronology, and notes on different versions of her famous diary. This is a poignant, respectful tribute to Anne Frank. ( )
  LynneQuan | Sep 21, 2017 |
The biography "Anne Frank" is about Anne Frank and her life during the Nazi invasion on Germany. It goes through her life when her and her family wore in hiding, how she felt and what are day to day life was. This book, shares real life photographs of what is was like in Germany, where she lived and her family. This will make you feel what she did back in the 1900's.
In middle school, I remember reading about Anne Frank I was really interested in World War II. Everything is so fascinated about how it was and what her life was and the struggle Anne and her family had to go through. It really opened my eyes when I got to read from Anne's perspective of how it really was with Hitler in charge and makes you feel everything she did.
This would be a good book to have students read in English, when you are learning about WWII in your history class. You could have students do a book report or journal entry describing what they would do in that situation. You could also have students write a letter either to Hitler or to Anne, telling them how you feel.
  Courtjl | Apr 20, 2017 |
"Anne Frank Beyond The Diary"is a hard cover book written by Ruud Van Der Roll and Rian Verhoeven.The authors talk about the life of Anne Frank with her family and their life before they hid from the Nazis.In this book you can see how Anne Frank got her strong will and strong morals.Anne Frank's father was an avid photographer and took many photos of Anne Frank with her family.Vander Der Roll is a sociologist and a member of Anne Frank's House along with his colleague.He helps prepare annual Anne Frank Journal as well as students projects of The Second World War along with issues of racism and discrimination. This book has great illustrations that depict photos and the conditions Anne Frank and her family lived in while in hiding.There are pictures of her diaries and concentration camps.This book is a great way to teach children tragedies of humankind and how not to repeat those tragedies again.
  KamarandaJones1 | Jul 20, 2016 |
My Mom had me read this book years ago, and then I pulled it off the shelf for this class. This is a story of a terrible time in our worlds history and the experience of a girl and her family. It was hard to read/look at when I was younger this book was hard to digest, when I read/looked at it a couple weeks ago it was still hard. This book was well written, it really paints a great picture. The pictures are very hard to see. ( )
  Brettch | Dec 9, 2013 |
Like Inside Anne Frank's House and the Anne Frank graphic biography, this book was produced by the Anne Frank House museum in Amsterdam, the source for many of the photographs in the book, which is subtitled "A Photographic Remembrance."

This book would be an excellent companion to the reading of Anne Frank's diary by students, probably about grade 6 and up.  While it does not have as many photographs as Inside Anne Frank's House, some of the images were ones I had not seen elsewhere, and the text in this book is more readable (even though it is also translated from Dutch).

One of the most interesting images is on page 89, of a group of Frank family photo albums retrieved from the Secret Annex at the same time Anne's diary was saved.   I was pleased to see that the family had been able to bring their cherished photo albums with them into hiding, and that the albums have been preserved.  I can see hints of photos in that album that I haven't seen elsewhere. Now I need to search for a book that replicates the albums!

© Amanda Pape - 2013

[This book is part of my personal collection. It is a library discard purchased at a used book sale.] ( )
3 vote riofriotex | Jun 1, 2013 |

Rol, Ruud van derAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Verhoeven, RianAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Pleijel, Sonja BergTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Quindlen, AnnaIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Strandberg, KurtTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Aiden Elster
Introduction: In the forty-six years since it was first published and the fifty since it was written, the diary of Anne Frank has taken on a kind of mystical quality for the adolescents who first encounter it and the adults left with its spiritual aftertaste.

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 201,734,707 books! | Top bar: Always visible