The Good, the Bad, and the Undead (The…

The Good, the Bad, and the Undead (The Hollows, Book 2) (edition 2008)

by Kim Harrison

Series: The Hollows (2)

It's a tough life for witch Rachel Morgan, sexy, independent bounty hunter, prowling the darkest shadows of downtown Cincinnati for criminal creatures of the night. She can handle the leather-clad vamps and even tangle with a cunning demon or two. But a serial killer who feeds on the experts in the most dangerous kind of black magic is definitely pressing the limits. Confronting an ancient, implacable evil is more than just child's play -- and this time, Rachel will be lucky to escape with her very soul.… (more)
Member:patsk
Title:The Good, the Bad, and the Undead (The Hollows, Book 2)
Authors:Kim Harrison
Info:Eos (2008), Hardcover, 416 pages
Rating:*****

Work Information

The Good, the Bad, and the Undead by Kim Harrison

Heat Stroke by Rachel Caine (Lman)
    Lman: These books have the same feel and humour, along with an innovative take on urban fantasy

Spennandi og oft húmorísk frásaga af áframhaldandi glímu nornarinnar Rachel Morgan við undirheima Cincinnati þar sem galdramenn, vampýrur, varúlfar, menn og fleiri kynjaskepnur takast á um völdin. Rachel uppgötvar tengsl á milli forns fjandmanns og raðmorða sem hafa skilið lögregluna eftir ráðþrota. Heltekin af hefndarþorsta einsetur hún sér að sanna sekt glæpamannsins og kastar allri varkárni fyrir róða - sem hún hefði kannski ekki átt að gera. ( )
  SkuliSael | Apr 28, 2022 |
cnf
  5083mitzi | Apr 8, 2022 |
This is a better written book than the first one – a tighter plot, a (slightly) more likeable MC. But I’m still giving it 3.5 stars because I find the whole situation with Ivy deeply disturbing and the author hasn’t justified it to my satisfaction. I don’t dislike Ivy, but the dynamic – even with the story-line geared toward engendering sympathy – just feels really exploitative.

Rachel’s personality, while improved, still failed to click with me. I have to believe, still, that future books are better; there’s an “Extras” at the end of this ebook (from the library) that had two “articles” written by Rachel Morgan about vampires and fairies/pixies, and her voice in these – dry, funny, a little snarky – is what I expect her voice to be in the books, and so far, it’s definitely not.

In both books so far, Rachel is rather strident about the line between white and black magic and her morals appeared to be set in stone, but when the rubber hit the road in this one, she crossed that line in order to achieve a greater good. But boy, she caved quick; she didn’t waste any time offering and accepting a rather dark deal. View Spoiler » She has a massive fear of ley line magic, but once she figures out she can do it, she starts playing with it in a scene with the pixies that was great, but didn’t do a lot to establish her creditability or integrity as the heroine.

None of this is to say I didn’t enjoy the book; as I said at the start, it’s a much better story. I just haven’t found my groove with the characters yet, and I’m definitely up for book 3. I continue to see hints that future books are going to be more my jam. But I’m glad I can get them at my library; if I’d bought these first two, I’m not sure I’d be willing to go further. ( )
  murderbydeath | Feb 17, 2022 |
I enjoyed the book even more than the first one. Kim Harrison has a great voice and writes interesting characters, who often make poor choices. Great humor throughout.

This book was featured on Cocktail Hour episode 11. http://www.cocktailhour.c-spot.net/archives/50 ( )
  amcheri | May 25, 2021 |
Good fluff. ( )
  wetdryvac | Mar 2, 2021 |

Kim Harrisonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Harrison, Kimmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Gavin, MargueriteNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To the man who know caffine comes first, chocolate comes second, romance comes third - and when they ought to be reversed
I hitched the canvas strap holding the watering canister higher up on my shoulder and stretched to get the nozzle into the hanging plant.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 170,168,593 books! | Top bar: Always visible