The Book That Changed My Life: 71 Remarkable…

The Book That Changed My Life: 71 Remarkable Writers Celebrate the Books… (2006)

by Roxanne J. Coady (Editor), Joy Johannessen (Editor)

Other authors: Dorothy Allison (Contributor), Kate Atkinson (Contributor), James Atlas (Contributor), Robert Ballard (Contributor), Gina Barreca (Contributor)66 more, Nicholas A. Basbanes (Contributor), Graeme Base (Contributor), Jeff Benedict (Contributor), Elizabeth Berg (Contributor), Amy Bloom (Contributor), Harold Bloom (Contributor), Lary Bloom (Contributor), Chris Bohjalian (Contributor), Steven Brill (Contributor), Benjamin Cheever (Contributor), Da Chen (Contributor), Harriet Scott Chessman (Contributor), Brother Christopher (Contributor), Carol Higgins Clark (Contributor), Billy Collins (Contributor), Claire Cook (Contributor), Caroline B. Cooney (Contributor), Patricia Cornwell (Contributor), Maureen Corrigan (Contributor), Nelson DeMille (Contributor), Tomie dePaola (Contributor), Anita Diamant (Contributor), Dominick Dunne (Contributor), Carlos Eire (Contributor), Linda Fairstein (Contributor), Doris Kearns Goodwin (Contributor), Linda Greenlaw (Contributor), David Halberstam (Contributor), Alice Hoffman (Contributor), Sebastian Junger (Contributor), Paul M. Kennedy (Contributor), Tracy Kidder (Contributor), Robert Kurson (Contributor), Wally Lamb (Contributor), Anne Lamott (Contributor), Barbara Leaming (Contributor), Joe Lieberman (Contributor), Margot Livesey (Contributor), John McCain (Contributor), Frank McCourt (Contributor), Faith Middleton (Contributor), Jacquelyn Mitchard (Contributor), Leigh Montville (Contributor), Sara Nelson (Contributor), Sherwin B. Nuland (Contributor), Laura Numeroff (Contributor), Stewart O'Nan (Contributor), Jacques Pepin (Contributor), Anne Perry (Contributor), Jack Prelutzky (Contributor), Ian Rankin (Contributor), Richard Rhodes (Contributor), Frank Rich (Contributor), Sark (Contributor), Lisa Scottoline (Contributor), Bernie S. Siegel (Contributor), Liz Smith (Contributor), Edward Sorel (Contributor), Jane Stern (Contributor), Michael Stern (Contributor), Alexandra Stoddard (Contributor), Paco Underhill (Contributor), Susan Vreeland (Contributor), Kate Walbert (Contributor), Katharine Weber (Contributor), Jacqueline Winspear (Contributor)

“You could read the same text repeatedly over time, and that something fresh and new would declare itself with each reading - was a revelation to me.”

“I finally got it: a book could do more than help you pass an exam, it could lift you up and sweep you away.”

“I don’t want to reread any of them now, for fear of finding they have aged as gracelessly as I have.”
  bookworm12 | Mar 21, 2018 |
Harold Bloom says he's read ' Little , Big ' dozens of times. ( )
  Baku-X | Jan 10, 2017 |
Marvelous idea and I want the sequel! Finally, I found a book primarily about *reading* instead of about collecting/ hoarding books.

Each essay is entirely different, so I'd be willing to bet that at least a few of them will resonant with every end reader. All are short, most are even under two pages. Now, to be perfectly honest, there were a few too many Literary ones for me, but then many of the writers that contributed are writers of thrillers, journalists, sports writers, etc.

Few books got mentioned by more than one essayist, too, which is interesting. Some essays talked about favorite childhood books, some about manuals for living, some about the latest work that they've been recommending to everyone. Some couldn't limit themselves to touting just one book. Some admit that what work matters to them might not to anybody else.

It's a good source for recommendations, not just for the books that mattered to the essayists, but also for the books written by the essayists. I've got some to add from both sources.

It's also a good prompt for us, reminding us to think about books we've read that have had a major impact on our life or at least on our reading.

I'm going to be opening a discussion about books that matter to us in the marvelous GR Group http://www.goodreads.com/group/show/1225-you-ll-love-this-one-a-book-club-more - come join us!

Btw, every copy of this book we buy will buy a book for a family in the Read to Grow program. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
A collection of essays by 71 writers on which book has changed their life the most. Interesting collection to read a few entries at a time (not a one-sitting kind of book). Nothing too unexpected, except Harold Bloom's pick (Little, Big) which I had expected to be more along the Shakespeare lines. Most interesting is when you call tell the writer's overall style from a short essay - I recognize the voices of the authors I'm familiar with, but I'm assuming they're all the same. Nice read that gave me a few more books for the old wishlist. ( )
  -Eva- | Mar 13, 2016 |
I found this book to be inspiring. As I read it, I found myself asking the question - just what book changed my life? My answer kept coming back to the same thing - ALL of them! I found this book to be an inspiring collection of essays by a variety of authors. Writing styles, humor, individual quirks; small opinions of each writer could be found in each essay. I do, however, have one small complaint. my list of to-read books got much longer during my reading of The Book That Changed My Life! So many books...too little time! ( )
  Dmtcer | Jun 3, 2014 |

Vreeland, SusanContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Walbert, KateContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Weber, KatharineContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Winspear, JacquelineContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Books change lives, and if you have any doubts on that score, you need only dip into this joyous celebration of reading by 65 people who have distinguished themselves in various fields, from sports, to cooking, to journalism and the arts. In brief and lively essays, the contributors - wrestlers, actors, singers, monks, Nobel Prize winners, chefs, politicians, writers - tell about the single book that changed the way they see themselves and the world around them.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,736,949 books! | Top bar: Always visible