Bunnicula meets Edgar Allan Crow by James…

Bunnicula meets Edgar Allan Crow (edition 2006)

by James Howe, Eric Fortune (Illustrator)

271962,537 (3.88)7
Member:WeeTurtle
Title:Bunnicula meets Edgar Allan Crow
Authors:James Howe
Other authors:Eric Fortune (Illustrator)
Info:New York : Atheneum Books for Young Readers, c2006.
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:***1/2
Tags:Bunnicula, vampire bunny, writers, animal characters, animal perspective, mystery, puns

Bunnicula Meets Edgar Allan Crow by James Howe

This is the first "Bunnicula" book that I've read. There's isn't a lot of Bunnicula to see in this story, but a fair amount of the other characters that I enjoyed quite a bit. I love Harold's perspective, and Howie's energy. Chester was somewhat annoying but I think that was part of the point.

A Gothic styled writer of juvenile horror stories visits the Monroe home. In a way, you could say this story is about accepting one's differences, or overcoming fears, or just things not being what they seem, but more than anything I found it just an enjoyable read. ( )
  WeeTurtle | Mar 20, 2019 |
I couldn't reason myself into liking this one. It wasn't a total waste of time, but this seemed like it was as much of a labor for James Howe to write this as it was for me to read it.

The plot is that after one of the boys wins a letter-writing contest a famous children's author of horror stories is coming to stay with the Monroes. Of course, Chester has a problem with this. He seems to have a point though when it becomes clear that in all of M.T. Graves' books, the pets suffer. It doesn't help either when Graves shows up with a pet crow and has an unhealthy interest in Bunnicula. What is the gang gonna do!

There was no joy here, even Howie's puns and confusion failed to get me involved in more than the most basic level of reading. Perhaps a child will feel differently.

Bunnicula

Previous: 'Bunnicula Strikes Again!' ( )
  ManWithAnAgenda | Feb 18, 2019 |
Well, it's been a wild ride, guys. When I went to reread [b: Bunnicula|281235|Bunnicula (Bunnicula, #1)|James Howe|http://images.gr-assets.com/books/1348802537s/281235.jpg|1142982] I only had the vague idea that a sequel existed, and never imagined the series would be 7 books long. I also never imagined the the series would be such a beautiful, and ultimately effective series at detailing how people change over time and some of the deeper ways relationships evolve. It's a great series from start to finish, and one I'm glad kids have. [b: Bunnicula Meets Edgar Allan Crow|97521|Bunnicula Meets Edgar Allan Crow (Bunnicula, #7)|James Howe|http://images.gr-assets.com/books/1348217719s/97521.jpg|1321189] was a beautiful end to it all, and a great book about writing.

When Pete wins the FleshCrawlers write-in contest and gets M.T. Graves to visit his town nobody expected that he'd want to stay with them, nor that he'd bring along his faithful companion Edgar Allan Crow. Chester, knee-deep in his own neurotic tendencies, things there's something off with the author. Graves seems to have taken an unhealthy interest in Bunnicula, after all, and why is it every animal in the FleshCrawlers series ends up a victim. Could he be up to no good? And beyond that, just what's in the bag he won't let anyone touch, and what does he mean when he says he writes from his own personal experiences...?

This is a good book about writing, and how much people change over time. I was touched by revelation about Graves, and more than a little moved by the whole Edgar Allan Crow arc. The Editor's Notes, likewise, were read with just a touch of melancholy as it now truly is over. Harold is getting old, after all, and change isn't always a bad thing. We learn, and we grow, and somehow we always tend to get by all right.

What a great journey for anyone willing to take it. I'm so glad books exist. ( )
  Lepophagus | Jun 14, 2018 |
I am not one for mystery books or talking animals so this book wasn't for me. It is one in a series so they are apparently pretty popular. I would suggest it to a student that enjoys these types of books though because it was a bit funny. The biggest theme in the book is probably social anxiety which would be good to give to a student with this problem. ( )
  Jordanlaine | Apr 17, 2014 |
So cute! ( )
  purplehena | Mar 31, 2013 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0739338676, Audio CD)

The Monroe house is going mad with excitement.
Pete has just won a contest, and the prize is a school visit from none other than M. T. Graves, Pete’s idol and the bestselling author of the FleshCrawlers series. He’s even going to stay with the Monroes while he’s visiting! Harold and Howie are thrilled, but Chester the cat is suspicious. Why does Graves dress all in black? Why doesn’t the beady-eyed crow perched on his shoulder say anything? Why has a threatening flock of crows invaded the backyard? And most worrisome of all: In each of the FleshCrawlers books, why does something bad always happen to the pets?
Suddenly, Graves’s interest in all of the animals–especially Bunnicula–looks far from innocent. It’s up to Chester, Harold, and Howie to find out if M. T. Graves and Edgar Allan Crow are really devising a plot to make their beloved bunny . . . NEVERMORE!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:29 -0400)

An overly-alarmed Chester the cat predicts a gruesome fate for the pets in the Monroe household when a writer of juvenile horror fiction and his bird companion stay overnight.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,225,864 books! | Top bar: Always visible