Birdman by Mo Hayder

Birdman (original 2000; edition 2000)

by Mo Hayder (Author)

Series: Jack Caffery (1)

Birdman showcases Hayder at her spine-tingling best as beloved series character Jack Caffery tracks down a terrifying serial killer. In his first case as lead investigator with London's crack murder squad, Detective Jack Caffery is called on to investigate the murder of a young woman whose body has been discovered near the Millennium Dome in Greenwich, southeast London. Brutalized, and mutilated beyond recognition, the victim is soon joined by four others discovered in the same area - all female and all ritualistically murdered. And when the postmortem examination reveals a gruesome signature connecting the victims, Caffery realizes exactly what he's dealing with - a dangerous serial killer.… (more)
Member:brunosooty
Title:Birdman
Authors:Mo Hayder (Author)
Info:Dell Publishing Company (2000), 448 pages
Collections:Disc 1, Your library

Birdman by Mo Hayder (2000)

Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn (wonderlake)
    wonderlake: Because Hartveld is reminding me of Desi Collings
    Lie to Me by David Martin (SomeGuyInVirginia)
    SomeGuyInVirginia: Both are dark and the killers repugnant. Lie to Me also has a strong streak of jet black humor.
    Tokyo by Mo Hayder (legrenier)

English (50)  Dutch (6)  French (1)  German (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (59)
I am getting just a hair concerned at my recent taste for the grizzly… But, lately, the grizzlier the better and Birdman is the perfect answer. British Detective Inspector Jack Caffery is there when the first bodies are found and it's clear that the hand of someone familiar with the medical world has been involved. Sutured into the breast cavity of the victims is a small bird. When I say grizzly, I mean grizzly. I did have a bit of trouble with British slang - sometimes I couldn't follow a sentence because I didn't understand the reference. But, otherwise, this was a fabulous first novel. ( )
  susandennis | Jun 5, 2020 |
Birdman is a well executed contemporary crime thriller set in the United Kingdom involving what initially appears to be a sexually sadistic necrophiliac serial killer.

Mixed in is the police detective whose personal life is a mess, and colleagues who are more interested in confirming their own biases than active police work (along with being rather inept themselves).

It's a good novel with detail in all the right places conveying the disturbing nature of the crimes and actions of those responsible without veering off into gore for gores sake.

Would recommend for fans of darker police procedurals. ( )
  HenriMoreaux | Jun 2, 2020 |
I found this book to be gritty. The setting is Millennium Dome Site, Greenwich, England. Five corpses are found and they are all young woman with no missing persons reported, hence the sexual serial killer is given the name Birdman. Mo Hyder has refined her craft and used her beguiling imagination. I have found DI Jack Caffery to be very interesting character and look forward to reading more about him in future books. I do recommend this series. ( )
  EadieB | Jan 5, 2019 |
Another series I'm just not able to get started...
  kmajort | Feb 9, 2018 |
This was a series recommended to me by my mother-in-law, and this first entry doesn’t disappoint. Hayder writes on the darker side of crime fiction, and this book is full of messed up people. Not the least of which is lead detective Jack Caffrey, who carries around a truckload of guilt stemming from the disappearance of his brother when they were children, and who is punishing himself by staying in an unfulfilling, manipulative relationship and nursing an obsession with his backyard neighbor.

Also quite messed up is our antagonist, whose point of view we see often, letting us into the horror of his thinking. Hayder does a good job of making us think we have it all figured out before pulling the rug out from beneath us.

This was a solid thriller, and I’ll definitely pick up more of the series. ( )
  miyurose | Jan 10, 2018 |
added by annek49 | editAftenposten, INGRID BREKKE (Jun 28, 2008)

Belongs to Series

Belongs to Publisher Series

North Greenwich.
Ik geloof niet in Het Kwaad, met hoofdletter. Maar de mens is wel zwak.

Detective Jack Caffery—young, driven, and seemingly unshockable—catches a career-making or career-breaking homicide in his first case as lead investigator with London's crack murder squad.  A young woman's body has been discovered, dumped on wasteland near the Millennium Dome site in Greenwich, England. It's the most brutal degradation of the human form that the squad has ever uncovered. Caffery's well-deserved reputation is that of the most stoic of detectives, but his initial inspection of the corpse will forever sear his psyche.

One by one, four more corpses are discovered only steps away from the first. Five bodies, all young women, all ritualistically murdered with cunning precision. And when a postmortem examination reveals a singular, macabre signature linking the victims, Caffery realizes that he's facing the most dangerous offender known to the force: a sexual serial killer.

In the murky recesses of his own mind, Caffery harbors the haunting legacy of a loved one's slaying.  What baffles him is that not a single missing person's report has been filed for any of the five young women. How has the Birdman chosen these seemingly perfect victims?

Now, as he employs every weapon forensic science can offer, Caffery knows that time is running out before the killer strikes again, and that he must put away his tortured past in order to safeguard the Birdman's next prey.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,572,295 books! | Top bar: Always visible