Crow Lake (Today Show Book Club #7) by Mary…

Crow Lake (Today Show Book Club #7) (original 2002; edition 2003)

by Mary Lawson (Author)

In the rural farm country of northern Ontario, the lives of two families--the farming Pye family, and zoologist Kate Morrison and her three brothers--are brought together and torn apart by misunderstanding, resentment, family love, and tragedy.
Member:Linda_Trahan
Title:Crow Lake (Today Show Book Club #7)
Authors:Mary Lawson (Author)
Info:Dial Press Trade Paperback (2003), Edition: Today Show Book Club, 320 pages
Collections:2020, Your library

Crow Lake by Mary Lawson (2002)

The Island Walkers by John Bemrose (lkernagh)
    lkernagh: Same evocative prose, wonderfully drawn characters and mesmerizing storytelling.
    The Deptford Trilogy by Robertson Davies (sombrio)

English (87)  Hebrew (1)  Spanish (1)  German (1)  All languages (90)
Narrated by Kate, a zoology professor, shethinks back to her childhood in a remote village of the Canadian North. The death of their parents, the self sacrifice of the two eldest brothers to abandon study to keep the family together..and a strange local family, with a psychopathic father and his strange,terrified children...
We get hints throughout of a family rift and of dark events. Kate's early love for her brilliant elder brother Matt seems to have come off the rails.
Read over a couple of days- pretty unputdownable. Was the ending a slight disappointment?? ( )
  starbox | May 24, 2020 |
I really liked this book. I love Kate’s voice, as a child and as an adult. Every character is sufficiently developed that I felt as though I knew them well and that I would immediately recognize them if I ever met any of them. I thought the family relationships and the psychology of each character were presented in an authentic and believable way. The writing is lovely too. No complaints about any of the above.

There was constant foreshadowing in this book. There was also more than one major event including a big reveal. I didn’t really need any of that, and I came close to guessing all of the mysteries, such as they were, before the reader is officially informed. I really liked the story anyway but it was the slice of life scenes and the characters and their relationships that made the book work for me. I didn’t need the extra drama or tension.

I thought it was a great book though. I read it for my real world book club. Because of the libraries being closed during the pandemic I borrowed an e-copy from my library and chose the Kindle format. (I started it before and ended it after I broke my clavicle on my dominant side, so a lot happened in my life the 5 days I spent reading it.)

ETA: Especially given the tragedy, I particularly appreciated the humor! ( )
  Lisa2013 | May 11, 2020 |
When seven-year-old Kate loses her parents in a tragic accident, her two teenage brothers determine to stay in the family home and take care of Kate and her toddler sister, Bo. Kate and Matt are particularly close; he has shared with her his love of marine biology. As she is looking back on this story from 18 years in the future, she views his decision to forego college as a devastating shame; she cannot reconcile his sacrifice, and the life it leads him to build, with his academic brilliance and intellectual curiosity. The novel moves back and forth between the year following their parents' death and the time in the future when Kate, herself a successful assistant professor, decides to take her serious boyfriend home to meet the family. As her story and Matt's begin to come together, Kate is faced with the painful realization that she has never really seen her brother's life from his perspective, that the tragedy of almost two decades ago has never released her to see the joys that the present offers to all of them. Lawson's descriptions of the farming community, its characters and culture, are beautiful. The novel is poignant and moving and memorable. ( )
2 vote EBT1002 | Mar 18, 2018 |
Last night, I finished reading Crow Lake by Canadian author Mary Lawson. It was a slow, quiet story, a story told in a past/present format, with lots of build-up. The writing is spare yet evocative, reflective, personal. I liked the back and forth bits but at times, I just wanted the big reveal to happen, already. Still, especially for a debut novel, it was very good. Lawson is quite masterful at description and I could almost see the landscape, the house, the ponds, even though I have never been to remote northern Ontario.

The story is about 4 children, orphaned young; the 2 older boys are in their teens, the 2 younger girls are 1 and 7 years old, when their parents are killed in a car accident (this happens early in the book so this is not a spoiler at all). The story is narrated by Kate, the third child, when she is in her late 20s and chronicles the efforts of the boys, especially, and the struggles, sacrifices and cost, to keep the family together, no matter what. There are, of course, other strands of the story at play, that Kate comes to understand only in retrospect but all the pieces of the puzzle are there, revealed slowly. It feels odd to say this but the book was both frustrating and satisfying, at the same time. I did like it. ( )
1 vote jessibud2 | Jan 30, 2018 |
Slow read ( )
  BOpper | Jan 24, 2018 |
For Eleanor,
for Nick and Nathaniel,
and most of all
for Richard
My great-grandmother Morrison fixed a book rest to her spinning wheel so that she could read while she was spinning, or so the story goes.
...in an ideal world, effort, like virtue, is rewarded, and it simply makes no sense not to act as if it's an ideal world. (p. 225-6)
...I have become familiar with books and ideas you never even imagined, and somehow, in the process of acquiring all that knowledge, I have managed to learn nothing at all. (p. 289)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,931,938 books! | Top bar: Always visible