The Loney: Costa Winner 2015 by Andrew…

The Loney: Costa Winner 2015 (original 2014; edition 2015)

by Andrew Michael Hurley (Author)

Member:Scarlet-Aingeal
Title:The Loney: Costa Winner 2015
Authors:Andrew Michael Hurley (Author)
Info:John Murray (2015), Edition: 01, 369 pages
Collections:Your library, Read, Read in 2016, Horror, NetGalley
Rating:*
Tags:Horror

The Loney by Andrew Michael Hurley (2014)

English (21)  Finnish (1)  All (22)
This was a wonderfully haunting and atmospheric read. It didn't matter that I didn't understand what went on in the remote cottage on the coast, it was enough to read the beautiful text, and the intelligent commentary, via the characters, on the nature of religion. I only wished the narrator had been named - it's not new or clever any more: this is the second book I've read this year that employed this 'device' and it's only February. One might argue the narrator was hiding his identity in case of legal issues, but he's named his brother and various members of his family and friends, so I don't think Mr Plod would have any difficulty finding him. ( )
  jayne_charles | Feb 22, 2017 |
I really wanted to like this book more. The description is breath taking, the idea is original and the characters are bought to life brilliantly but unfortunately for me it left too many unanswered questions that left me frustrated after reading it. Hanny is mute and has learning difficulties. His younger brother is the only one who can communicate properly with him and acts as his carer and bridge between his religiously devout parents. Every year they all travel, with other members of their church' to the Loney and its mystical shrine in the hope of a cure. As I said the description is second to none and the Loney is the true star of this book with it's dark places and almost constant downpours of rain. As for the story however I just found it confusing and disjointed. It was never explained where Else or her companions came from, where they went and who started the 'ritual' in the first place?
The Observer quote on the back of my copy says "This is a novel of the unsaid, the implied, the barely grasped or understood, crammed with dark holes and blurry spaces that your imagination feels compelled to fill" and that is a spot on description. For me however I need a few more loose ends tied up and bit more definition. ( )
  angelaoatham | Feb 21, 2017 |
This is the kind of novel that book critics and awards boards love: lots of gothic atmosphere, little plot, and a Great Big Theme. In the case of this novel, a post-post-modern anti-religion diatribe where the religious folk are small-minded, provincial, backward, fearful, and superstitious. Of course, the great point here is that they are no better - or worse -- than the practitioners of witchcraft.

ChayaLovesToRead | Feb 15, 2017 |
I had really high hopes for this one because of all the great reviews and also because it won the 2015 Costa First Novel award but I found it to be a disappointment. Maybe my expectations were too high.

In all honesty I think it was the writing style that kept me reading. The author did a wonderful job of creating a dark and dreary atmosphere, his ability to set the scene and describe the surrounding environment totally immerses the reader, creating the illusion of being present in the moment as if a character in the story as it happened. Or didn't happen in this case. Without this I don't think I would have finished the book at all.

I am left thinking Did I miss something or was there nothing to miss? The whole thing felt like a lot of plot holes thrown into a plot that was more hinted at than expanded on. It was all over the place and I was never really sure where it was going or why. The further I got into the book the more I found myself having to resist skimming pages. Nothing was happening, yet so many things were left unexplained. In the end it all felt rather pointless.

All in all it was an unsatisfying read and not one I would recommend. ( )
  Scarlet-Aingeal | Dec 9, 2016 |
Such a damp book—water-stained walls and feral tides and rain, rain, rain. This was a good, if slightly opaque, theologically-inclined gothic tale, with scary houses and Satanists and faith being questioned left and right. When I first closed the book I thought the ending was as soggy as the landscape, but after a bit of thought I've decided it was actually very clever, if maybe a bit too subtle for its own good. But all in all the book kept me rapt and appreciative of being dry; a good spooky tale. ( )
  lisapeet | Oct 22, 2016 |
While they were going out, a man who was demon-possessed and could not talk was brought to Jesus. And when the demon was driven out, the man who had been mute spoke. The crowd was amazed and said, 'Nothing like this has ever been seen in Israel.' But the Pharisees said, 'It is by the prince of demons that he drives out demons.'
Matthew 9:32–34
And what rough beast, its hour come round at last,
Slouches towards Bethlehem to be born?
W. B. Yeats, 'The Second Coming'
For Ray and Rosalie
It had certainly been a wild end to the autumn.

Dark and disturbing
exploration of finding
and losing one's faith.
(passion4reading)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,489,174 books! | Top bar: Always visible